Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:24 am

Hi guys, newbie question to choice BRGs. If the 3rd party website offers a refundable rate that is cheaper than the choice nonrefundable rate, can I Submit a claim? The reason I don't think I can't BRG against the choice refundable rate is because the cancellation terms are 3 days apart. Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by UAL123
It's getting much harder now for a claim to be approved. The cancellation terms have to match exactly and the 3rd party rate has to be a pay when you stay rate. Before they would approve claims with cancellation terms that varied by a few days. Also, they would approve claims from 3rd party sites that required prepayment, even when the rate at ChoiceHotels.com was a pay when you stay rate. Anyone else having the same issues?

Edit: Just saw a few posts up that someone else mentioned the same thing back in August.
I have had no problems with my last 4 bookings that didn't have the same cancellation terms all accepted, maybe I got lucky.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
No answer after 68 hours

I filed a claim about 68 hours ago.Did not hear anything back. Also asked [email protected] when to expect a reply - no answer after 24 hours. As I read in this thread this does not seem to be a normal respond time. What can I do if they do not answer? Is there a helpline or can I claim via telephone?

- Got confirmation of a free night after 72 hours.

Last edited by cgnSenator; Nov 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:09 pm

So now they're actually admitting that they're changing the prices so that they don't have the honor of the best rate guarantee 24 hours after I submitted claim I received the below response;

Thank you for your interest in participating in our Best Internet Rate Guarantee program.

Please be advised that the rates at www.choicehotels.com have changed since you made your reservation. Our current rate is equal to the rate you found at the competing website.

We have adjusted your reservation to reflect that rate. Your rate is $206.10 plus tax, per night. If you find a lower rate within the 24-hours of making your original reservation, please resubmit your claim form and we will be happy to process your request at that time.

Thank You

Ethan
Best Internet Rate Guarantee
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

Same thing happened to me, the hotel matched the rate in pursuance to my claim. Retarded. I appealed with the brg dept. to no avail. Very disappointing.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:28 am

I am pretty sure this would give grounds for legal actions. Then again, who would be bothered.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MarioRossi
I am pretty sure this would give grounds for legal actions. Then again, who would be bothered.

EXACTLY!!!

I also didi 2 other BRGs and was rejected due to the fact that you have to pay in advance on the third party website.
A buncha crap...
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:27 pm

Just got approved for a Choice BRG with no problems.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One little known Choice BRG "trick" is that if you're travelling with a group (like your family) you can request multiple free rooms for the same night. I've asked for up to 4, and have had them approved.

But the rooms have to be the same: you apparently can't ask for 2 different room types. I tried it (because that's what I actually wanted: a room with 1 king, and a room with 2 queens) and they bounced it saying I couldn't have booked it that way on the competitor's site (I think I could have, but whatever). So I cancelled my Choice rez, made a new one, and resubmitted a new BRG with the identical rooms. Voila!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by iahphx
One little known Choice BRG "trick" is that if you're travelling with a group (like your family) you can request multiple free rooms for the same night. I've asked for up to 4, and have had them approved.

But the rooms have to be the same: you apparently can't ask for 2 different room types. I tried it (because that's what I actually wanted: a room with 1 king, and a room with 2 queens) and they bounced it saying I couldn't have booked it that way on the competitor's site (I think I could have, but whatever). So I cancelled my Choice rez, made a new one, and resubmitted a new BRG with the identical rooms. Voila!
Are all the rooms in the same name or different names?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:03 am

Choice BRG is getting more difficult these days and agents are rejecting claims based on the smallest things they can find in the T&C.

Booking 1: Rejected as Choice website rate is "Double Bed", while competing website is "Double Bed or 2 Twin Bed". Reason being there is no gurantee of bed type on competitor website whilst Choice guarantees a double bed.

Booking 2: Choice quadroom "1 double & 2 single" cannot be compared to competitor's bedding options of "2 doubles, or 1 double & 2 single" because it is not guaranteed.

Booking 3: Choice room against hotel's own website. Rejection came after 50hours and hotel website changed rate to match Choice website. Happened in 2 occassions.

Not only the bed type must match, but also must be guaranteed? Surely this is against the spirit of the BRG program?

Last edited by lhwjud; Dec 19, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx

Did this before (booked multiple rooms). Worked fine with no issues. The confused looked on the clerks face when I checked in was priceless!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhwjud
Choice BRG is getting more difficult these days and agents are rejecting claims based on the smallest things they can find in the T&C.

Booking 1: Rejected as BW website rate is "Double Bed", while competiting website is "Double Bed or 2 Twin Bed". Reason being there is no gurantee of bed type on competitor website whilst BW guarantees a double bed.

Booking 2: BW quadroom "1 double & 2 single" cannot be compared to competitor's bedding options of "2 doubles, or 1 double & 2 single" because it is not guaranteed.

Booking 3: BW room against hotel's own website. Rejection came after 50hours and hotel website changed rate to match BW website. Happened in 2 occassions.

Not only the bed type must match, but also must be guaranteed? Surely this is against the spirit of the BRG program?
Which BRG program???

You posted in the Choice forum, you said Choice at the beginning, and then every example you gave you meantioned Best Western instead!! So which is it???
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which BRG program???

You posted in the Choice forum, you said Choice at the beginning, and then every example you gave you meantioned Best Western instead!! So which is it???
Apology - I did mean Choice but for whatever reason I typed BW!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by lhwjud

Booking 1: Rejected as Choice website rate is "Double Bed", while competing website is "Double Bed or 2 Twin Bed". Reason being there is no gurantee of bed type on competitor website whilst Choice guarantees a double bed.

Booking 2: Choice quadroom "1 double & 2 single" cannot be compared to competitor's bedding options of "2 doubles, or 1 double & 2 single" because it is not guaranteed.

Booking 3: Choice room against hotel's own website. Rejection came after 50hours and hotel website changed rate to match Choice website. Happened in 2 occassions.

I don't believe items 1+2 would have ever been approved. The "guarantee" rationale may be new. The BRG insists on an exact match and those comparisons dont match. Sorta like comparing (an apple) to (an apple or an orange). That's not a match. I was denied for this disparity years (?) ago, so I don't even try and avoid comparison websites that are inexact. And a lot of competitve aggregator third-party sites use this strategy. I suspect this tactic is employed specifically to deny matchable claims. It's similar to the rampant use of "standard" which makes a match almost impossible.

As for #3, I think most BRGs exclude the hotel's own booking engine.

It would be great if any hotel chain lived by the "spirit" of BRGs, yet revenue trumps spirit every time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.