Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
But, quarantine in Shanghai is seriously no big deal, even if you are stuck in a hotel for 14 days. Spending $600 on a hotel is not going to crush anyone.
There are decent places to stay in Shanghai for $42 a night?
Old Jun 13, 2020, 1:48 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by SJOGuy

Excellent pricing on hotel rooms.
1100 hotels from 40-50 USD
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by m.y
I don't think it was the HK government that banned mainland transit. The direction must have came from someone high up in Beijing, way above the rank of CA management. HK transit will not ease without overall easing as Beijing is well aware of the loophole it creates. It would be interesting to see what Taiwan do, since Beijing consider them part of China, they are not under the restrictions, but their government don't listen to Beijing so they can relax the transit rules.
even without a pandemic, a PRC passport holder will have trouble getting on a TPE-mainland flight unless they have the appropriate permission (generally a mainland-issued 往来台湾通行证 "Permit to travel to and return from Taiwan"). the mainland stopped issuing these for individual tourism travel in August 2019.

during a pandemic, this will be enforced 100%. CI, BR know this and will stop PRC passport holders in the US (who likely won't have such a permit) from boarding a flight to TPE to transit
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Excellent pricing on hotel rooms.
1100 hotels from 40-50 USD
That's good to know for when the world returns to normal. Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:06 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sincx
even without a pandemic, a PRC passport holder will have trouble getting on a TPE-mainland flight unless they have the appropriate permission (generally a mainland-issued 往来台湾通行证 "Permit to travel to and return from Taiwan"). the mainland stopped issuing these for individual tourism travel in August 2019.

during a pandemic, this will be enforced 100%. CI, BR know this and will stop PRC passport holders in the US (who likely won't have such a permit) from boarding a flight to TPE to transit
Prior to the pandemic, PRC passport holder can transit in Taiwan without leaving the airport if they were not leaving from mainland, i.e. they can fly USA-TPE-PVG but not the reverse, because Chinese exit control would want to see Taiwan travel permit. So in theory Taiwan could relax the restrictions the transit restrictions and let PRC passport holders transit on their way back to mainland again.
geclub1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:58 pm

That's good to know for when the world returns to normal. Thank you.
PPP..pandemic promotional prices. Expect to pay a bit more.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I sense that quarantine hotels are an exceptionally good value because the government negotiated rates with them. They are in a position to extract attractive rates because they are the government, and these hotels get to enjoy ~60% occupancy when their counterparts can barely hit 10%.

Y300 is easy to pull off at non-quarantine hotels as well, many of which are in desirable locations. Y500 will get you better digs. Western chains are generally at least Y800, but a lot of this premium goes towards benefits that you won't be able to avail of.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Thanks. I have learned to trust your comments when it comes to China travel matters over the years. I would jump on the chance to fly in to China now if transit at HKG is an option when it is allowed for mainland China flights.
HKG won’t open transit to the mainland until told to do so by their masters. That ain’t happening in August. HKG has banned foreign arrivals until sometime in September (with an exception for foreigners coming from other parts of greater China). I think that September timeline should be a good clue to when transit to the mainland might be available as well, although this Beijing outbreak could push the timeline back even more.

All the optimism in this thread about multiple flights on foreign carriers and summer reopening of the border is extremely misplaced IMHO and contrary to what I hear from local officials I interact with. The overarching desire is not to promote tourism or international biz travel now, it’s to stop Covid.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
they are the government, and these hotels get to enjoy ~60% occupancy when their counterparts can barely hit 10%.
LA occupancy rate 32%...Shanghai 10% only.
I think LA still in safer at home status...don't understand.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

All the optimism in this thread about multiple flights on foreign carriers and summer reopening of the border is extremely misplaced IMHO and contrary to what I hear from local officials I interact with. The overarching desire is not to promote tourism or international biz travel now, it’s to stop Covid.
Until they lift the foreigner ban..everything is wishful thinking. 100 flights a day doesn't matter if they won't let you in.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The quarantine hotels aren’t “decent places to stay”. They are a jail for 2 weeks where you can’t leave the room and crappy food is brought to you by minders dressed up as spacemen. The hotels themselves may be 3-4 star range (The Shanghai Hotel by where I live is one of them) but certainly not a place or experience you’ll enjoy.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Until they lift the foreigner ban..everything is wishful thinking. 100 flights a day doesn't matter if they won't let you in.
Don't know why the US hasn't banned all Chinese citizens from entering, regardless of where they have been. We have already seen what happened with the flights and the US got CAAC to blink. Now the US should throw a grenade at China's border policy.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
Don't know why the US hasn't banned all Chinese citizens from entering, regardless of where they have been. We have already seen what happened with the flights and the US got CAAC to blink. Now the US should throw a grenade at China's border policy.
China won’t care. They take the virus very seriously. The USA does not.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:40 am

The quarantine hotels aren’t “decent places to stay”. They are a jail for 2 weeks where you can’t leave the room and crappy food is brought to you by minders dressed up as spacemen. The hotels themselves may be 3-4 star range (The Shanghai Hotel by where I live is one of them) but certainly not a place or experience you’ll enjoy.
Probably internet blocked and tv only cctv channel 9 .
Old Jun 14, 2020, 1:50 am

China won’t care. They take the virus very seriously. The USA does not.
They don't discriminate... no one comes in except rich nationals. I read the full text of the white paper. Their policies and procedures are very thorough and stringent for mitigation of the disease. Can't possibly implement them in US as not lawful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.