Wiki Posts
Search

Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:02 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
I agree completely. We were conditioned for $2k during 2008, and were okay with it. $10k, by contrast, tips the scales.
UA needs to update their google advertising.

Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kb1992
It would be quite a scene to see B6 WN 737 airplanes landing in shanghai.
Of course I'm just trying to have some fun with this, but with a wet lease arrangement some of the big birds that are currently parked by DL and UA could be used. For example, DL has some excess 777s at the moment and they've flown to China in the past. Wet leases would be faster than creating subsidiaries United One, United Two, etc. and getting approval for them to fly.

I also pointed out somewhere that USA and other foreign carriers will mostly want flights to PVG since the divert for testing and possible quarantine exercise if one is trying to fly into Beijing would be a big mess for carriers that don't operate domestic flights within mainland China.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course I'm just trying to have some fun with this, but with a wet lease arrangement some of the big birds that are currently parked by DL and UA could be used. For example, DL has some excess 777s at the moment and they've flown to China in the past. Wet leases would be faster than creating subsidiaries United One, United Two, etc. and getting approval for them to fly.
But does WN have any pilots who know how to fly the 777?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:10 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by STS-134
But does WN have any pilots who know how to fly the 777?
In a wet lease, the arrangement includes the pilot and cabin crew to operate the flight, as opposed to a dry lease, that includes the plane only.
MSPeconomist and STS-134 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:14 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I also pointed out somewhere that USA and other foreign carriers will mostly want flights to PVG since the divert for testing and possible quarantine exercise if one is trying to fly into Beijing would be a big mess for carriers that don't operate domestic flights within mainland China.
China has designated 37 airports that accept incoming international flights with the goal of spreading the flights around. I'm sure foreign carriers all want flight to PEK/PVG, but likely many of the flights will be send to places like CZX, HET, HRB, NNG, these flights will still be full, but foreign airlines will need to set up logistics on the ground to handle the flights.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good points.

Under control? You mean like how (even according to Chinese media) they found 300 asymptomatic carriers of it in Wuhan? That's not under control. Test and quarantine all incoming travelers no matter their origin if you want to get this under control.
It doesn't really matter--flights from areas with less cases to areas with more cases are basically irrelevant in terms of risk. There should be no restrictions on passengers from China.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
It doesn't really matter--flights from areas with less cases to areas with more cases are basically irrelevant in terms of risk. There should be no restrictions on passengers from China.
The optics of doing that would look too bad.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Lower 48-ANC-NRT-PVG? That's quite an annoying route although I could see people doing it to avoid paying $20k. But I doubt Japanese authorities would give them permission.
​​​
Or are we talking about a modified island hopper route, like HNL-MAJ-GUM-PVG?
I'll vote for 48-ANC-NRT-PVG. It's shorter than 48-SFO/LAX-HNL-GUM-PVG.

I think B6/WN 737 can do it.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:55 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
What's behind the resumption of China-U.S. passenger flights?

Politics and Health

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-0...9K8/index.html

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Jun 8, 2020 at 6:16 am
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat

Best they could hope for is a 2nd freedom route, because I don't think the Japanese are going to allow a bunch of potentially COVID-19 infected Americans to roam around the airport.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 11:49 am

Can Alaska and JetBlue's A321neos do HNL-PVG nonstop if seats are blocked off?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The speculation about AS and B6 flying to China is fun and all but it’s not gonna happen. Does anyone know if the 1 flight a week have been approved by the Chinese yet for DL and UA and what 4 routes will be flown by the combination of Chinese and USA carriers? Or is this still in diplomatic limbo?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The speculation about AS and B6 flying to China is fun and all but it’s not gonna happen. Does anyone know if the 1 flight a week have been approved by the Chinese yet for DL and UA and what 4 routes will be flown by the combination of Chinese and USA carriers? Or is this still in diplomatic limbo?
Not yet. DOT order gives CAAC until June 16 to decide.

China is in a tough spot. If they agree 2 weekly flights, then they must cut two flights and people who bought tickets will be mad.

If they agree 4, then UA/DL will operate 2 each. This crushes 5-1 policy and they lose face in public.

China only has itself to blame. Whoever designed idiotic 5-1 policy clearly has no idea about international air rights. The whole thing makes China look bad among international community.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
China only has itself to blame. Whoever designed idiotic 5-1 policy clearly has no idea about international air rights. The whole thing makes China look bad among international community.
It wasn't the 5 ones exactly; it's the March 12 baseline that was the problem. If they heeded the USDOT warning, the US might have been satisfied with 4 vs. 2.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 8:09 pm

Not yet. DOT order gives CAAC until June 16 to decide.

China is in a tough spot. If they agree 2 weekly flights, then they must cut two flights and people who bought tickets will be mad.

If they agree 4, then UA/DL will operate 2 each. This crushes 5-1 policy and they lose face in public.

I suspect the Chinese government is quite happy to agree to 2 weekly flights for each side.

The PRC wants to minimize the risk of returnees spreading the virus, so China would love to stop all inbound flights from countries where COVID is still uncontrolled. But cutting off travel completely makes China look hypocritical (since China criticized other countries for cutting flights back in January) and also pisses off citizens who are stuck outside the country. The 5-1 policy was meant to open the door just enough so overseas student, etc. won't be too pissed off, but still substantially limit risk.

However, if it's the US government that's limiting flights, China can just shrug its shoulders and say "hey that's the best we can do, it's out of our control," and only having 4 weekly flights keeps the number of returnees and the risk of re-seeding COVID to a minimum until a vaccine is found.

1 of the 2 weekly flights will be given to CA. The other weekly frequency may rotate between MU and CZ.

Alternatively, with CX possibly getting bought out by CA, maybe CZ can finally join OneWorld and get AA to restart a China flight, so there'll be 3 weekly flights on each side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.