Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How quickly are student visas issued after completion of the interview?
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How quickly are student visas issued after completion of the interview?
Anywhere between 3-5 days.

If a case requires further review, then it will take longer. But most cases are routine.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
Anywhere between 3-5 days.

If a case requires further review, then it will take longer. But most cases are routine.
You really think Trump will lift the ban on Chinese students whilst the PRC has basically a blanket ban on citizens from any country entering? I think that’s unlikely. He doesn’t care about schools in the USA losing money, he cares about optics and the election.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
You really think Trump will lift the ban on Chinese students whilst the PRC has basically a blanket ban on citizens from any country entering? I think that’s unlikely. He doesn’t care about schools in the USA losing money, he cares about optics and the election.
We could wage a friendly bet....

Further, It's not just China. I think that Trump will lift ban on visitors from most countries in Europe and Asia.

Maybe not South America.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We could wage a friendly bet....

Further, It's not just China. I think that Trump will lift ban on visitors from most countries in Europe and Asia.

Maybe not South America.
I think he’ll lift on other countries but not PRC. I hope you’re right, but it’s just my gut feeling.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
You missed his point. His point was that if it wasn't for the March 12 baseline, this issue would never have gotten to the DOT. DOT only intervened when the American airlines asked them to since they couldn't operate any flights. So now this thing has gotten political and public and "fairness" is now a primary concern (and seems to be for you too). No other country seems to have even noticed the fairness problem. The airlines themselves would probably have settled for 4 + 2 (even if they are happier with 2+2).

And I might add this whole fairness argument is rather self-serving in the context of travel restrictions in place. For almost two months from late Jan until late March, the US had a unilateral travel ban that excluded almost all passengers from China, during peak travel periods for Chinese tourists. (And it's still unilateral with regards to passengers from Europe.) I do actually understand the rationale for the travel ban (even though I acknowledge there are criticisms against it). But I think all fairness has been lost when the travel ban was put in place in late Jan.
What is not fair is thousands and thousands of Chinese citizens are now stranded in U.S. and cannot return home because of the 5 one policy. One way Y ticket costs 10K USD and with lot of uncertainty. China is the only country I am aware that has set up this barrier for its own citizens.

Last edited by yoyo; Jun 9, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Old Jun 9, 2020, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Well, when in late March China started tightening entries, I’d say all UNfairness (by the US and other countries) is lost.
Are you saying U.S. travel ban early Feb was unfair and China's March travel restriction made it even? Kind of hard to read.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by yoyo
Are you saying U.S. travel ban early Feb was unfair and China's March travel restriction made it even? Kind of hard to read.
China criticized US ban as unfair. Now they can't anymore.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:33 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Besides, China is the safest country in the world regarding COVID.
Source: Johns Hopkins University
Last update: June 9, 2020Here are a few countries that have not reported any cases of the coronavirus so far:

Kiribati

Marshall Islands

Micronesia

Nauru

North Korea

Palau

Samoa

Solomon Islands

Tonga

Turkmenistan

Tuvalu

Vanuatu
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Source: Johns Hopkins University
Last update: June 9, 2020Here are a few countries that have not reported any cases of the coronavirus so far:

Kiribati

Marshall Islands

Micronesia

Nauru

North Korea

Palau

Samoa

Solomon Islands

Tonga

Turkmenistan

Tuvalu

Vanuatu
You know what he meant. Safest of among large/siginificent countries.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
China criticized US ban as unfair. Now they can't anymore.
I see. I don't see any reason for China to criticize U.S. travel ban even in Feb.
Old Jun 9, 2020, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
What is not fair is thousands and thousands of Chinese citizens are not stranded in U.S. and cannot return home because of the 5 one policy. One way Y ticket costs 10K USD and with lot of uncertainty. China is the only country I am aware that has set up this barrier for its own citizens.
I have many Chinese friends who stomach the high fares, simply because they just want to fly home nonstop. The thing is, business travel doesn't pencil so well these days. Our companies can justify $5,000 to send us to SF for a week, but $15,000 is not viable.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It does not look like Delta or United are starting the one single weekly flight to China.
Have I missed any announcement?

I understand there can be charter flights if there is enough people. Someone told me United is looking at the idea of providing charter flight.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One flight per week costs much more than one-seventh of of the cost per week of operating a daily flight on the same route.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One flight per week costs much more than one-seventh of of the cost per week of operating a daily flight on the same route.
They will be able to charge lots of money for their single flights, and MU/CA will support them on the ground in SH/BJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.