Reload this Page >

Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2020, 6:16 am

Where did I suggest the hotels themselves would be a problem? Imprisonment is imprisonment, even if in a gilded cage.

There are presumably reasons behind continuation of the foreigner blockade. But "limited quarantine hotels" is a smokescreen for whatever are those real reasons. (Skepticism is a useful approach in China.)
Old May 3, 2020, 6:25 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
They're presumably comfortable in their ability to accommodate the current inbound traffic. It's their call as to when and how much to further open the spigot. Not all of the quarantine hotels suck FYI.
Depending on one's narrative of the origination failure to implement a nationwide border quarantine would be going down a slippery slope. Obviously the US fell off a cliff.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Depending on one's narrative of the origination failure to implement a nationwide border quarantine would be going down a slippery slope. Obviously the US fell off a cliff.
The border quarantine has been place for over a month, and I haven't heard of any leakages.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:00 am

"Obviously the US fell off a cliff."

Let us not forget -- ever -- how China attacked the U.S. when it blocked entry from China in late January, attacking America at the very time China itself had blockaded travel from Hubei.

"True feeling shines through in hardship . . . Many countries have shown their support and help for China’s fight against the epidemic. By contrast, the United States’ words and deeds are not in keeping with the facts and less are they in keeping with friendship.” So said a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman.

How on earth was blocking arrivals from China in late January "not in keeping with the facts"?
Old May 3, 2020, 7:57 am

As I recall, the US initially did not block arrivals from China, it blocked Chinese citizens. I read that 450,000 people traveled between the two countries after the "blockade".
On a somewhat related subject, anybody who can read the Chinese press (and social media- the new propaganda tool) will notice that in recent weeks the language changed and sounds like what you could read during the cultural revolution. It certainly has my Chinese friends over 50 years old somewhat worried as this language is all too familiar and brings back very bad memories. Foreigners and foreign countries are referred to as the enemy, foreigners in China are spies and Chinese who moved abroad are traitors, especially if they change passport. The expression traitor is used a lot these days and rather loosely.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:19 am

@JPDM Since we aren't allowed to discuss politics in this sub forum (a policy I fully support BTW), I simply want to state that your observations are consistent with my own, but I'm not especially worried about long term implications.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:30 am

"As I recall, the US initially did not block arrivals from China, it blocked Chinese citizens."

You know with Google, it's so easy to check and post the truth. Why spread false information like that?

Here's the actual language of the Presidential proclamation:

"The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation."

Section 2 then lays out certain exceptions for close relatives of Americans, Green Card holders, etc.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/presidenti...l-coronavirus/
Old May 3, 2020, 9:55 am

A primary objective of Intelligence & Analysis is determining the credibility of
a source. "Ministerial words" rank below "I saw it written on a bathroom wall".

Last edited by anacapamalibu; May 3, 2020 at 10:02 am
Old May 3, 2020, 10:14 am

Can we please stick with known facts, guys? In the instant case, we are waiting on the OP (or anyone else) to provide data based on actual experiences. Attempting to read Zhongnanhai's mind is an exercise in futility, but if any of you feel compelled to brainstorm, head over to bad OMNI.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JPDM
As I recall, the US initially did not block arrivals from China, it blocked Chinese citizens. I read that 450,000 people traveled between the two countries after the "blockade".
Well, no. The US blocked everyone coming directly from China, or who had been in China for the past 14 days, regardless of citizenship, with exceptions only for its own citizens and green card holders and a few other categories, who were still allowed to fly directly from China. Where the US screwed up was in not requiring mandatory quarantines for returning US citizens/green card holders on arrival. But while the US was too lenient on its own citizens and other citizens coming from places other than China (including Italy/Europe), China's approach is also ridiculous. While I can understand banning everyone except their own citizens from epicenter outbreak locations (such as the US) at this time, not allowing people in from New Zealand and other places that have effectively been able to suppress their outbreaks (even if they're willing to submit to a 14 day quarantine to make extra sure) makes no sense.

SARS-CoV-2 is a virus. It does not care where you're flying from or what citizenship you hold. It will infect anyone (actually, I should say anything, since cats and dogs and other animals can apparently get it too) with ACE-2 receptors.
Old May 3, 2020, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by 889
"As I recall, the US initially did not block arrivals from China, it blocked Chinese citizens."

You know with Google, it's so easy to check and post the truth. Why spread false information like that?

Here's the actual language of the Presidential proclamation:

"The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau, during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation."

Section 2 then lays out certain exceptions for close relatives of Americans, Green Card holders, etc.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/presidenti...l-coronavirus/
Isn't that what I said.? Section 1 excludes American citizens from the ban and section 2 also exempts PR, relatives, etc.
Maybe i expressed it wrong but my point was that it let Americans fly back and forth to China. The problem was not Europeans flying from China to the US but Americans. It wasn't even blocking Chinese who had their PR.
But my recollection was wrong. It was actually 40,000 who traveled from China to the US after the enactment of these rules. 430,000 is how many people traveled after the virus appeared.

Last edited by JPDM; May 3, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Old May 3, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
@JPDM Since we aren't allowed to discuss politics in this sub forum (a policy I fully support BTW), I simply want to state that your observations are consistent with my own, but I'm not especially worried about long term implications.
My comment wasn't meant to be political but just trying to make the point on the topic being discussed that entry by foreigners into China is not about to restart given the fact that they are not welcomed.
Old May 3, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
Maybe i expressed it wrong but my point was that it let Americans fly back and forth to China. The problem was not Europeans flying from China to the US but Americans.
That's correct, the intensity and speed of the spread was due to air travel. If China wants to shut down intl flights. .so be it.

If US would have done back in early January what China is doing now, it's likely we would be in a situation like Taiwan.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
That's correct, the intensity and speed of the spread was due to air travel. If China wants to shut down intl flights. .so be it.

If US would have done back in early January what China is doing now, it's likely we would be in a situation like Taiwan.
China has not shut down international flights, just reduced frequencies, and limited the number of gateways to ~12.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am surprised many of you arguing a moot point.

OP has not been returned since asking the question. Yet OP, like many others, is still a Do Not Admit.

The quarantine is here to stay unless the MPS lifts it. End of story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.