Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2023, 7:22 pm

Screenshots

Originally Posted by moondog
The focus is on the flight that actually brings you into China (e.g. you even need to provide your actual seat number). WeChat is just a distributor channel for the system. The data resides on China government servers.

ETA Completing the form over a stable internet connection and grabbing a screenshot of the qr code is definitely a good idea, but you might be asked to update it upon arrival.
​​​​​
I used screenshots for my flights into and out of China last month. There's just a scanner at which you scan your own code (at least that was the case in Beijing PKX and Shanghai PVG).

I wouldn't fill out the thing so soon, since it does expire 24 hours later.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I forgot about that 24 expiration rule, but now that you mention it, I've had a few codes expire on me. When I went back to the site, most of my previously entered info was still there. I just needed to make a few updates in order to generate a new code.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by italdesign
You mean the QR code will only appear in Wechat for 24hr, but screenshot will do after that; OR even screenshot will expire after 24hr?
Under the QR code there is a time &date when it expires, which is 24 hours after filling out the form and getting the QR code.
Doesn't matter if screenshot or WeChat: it expires 24 hours after being issued.
italdesign likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Under the QR code there is a time &date when it expires, which is 24 hours after filling out the form and getting the QR code.
Doesn't matter if screenshot or WeChat: it expires 24 hours after being issued.
Correct. And, if you try to scan an expired QR code upon arrival, you will be instructed to generate a new one. When it comes down to that, the kiosks are probably faster than fiddling with the WeChat MP or the native app because when you present your expired QR code to them, they pull up your profile so you can update it. After you confirm, they print out a small piece of paper with your new QR code.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:13 pm

Correct. And, if you try to scan an expired QR code upon arrival, you will be instructed to generate a new one.
Aye.
I suggest one doesn't let that happen: the app is good and remembers your previous inputs, but it is a little finnicky with logging in.
Better to generate the QR code before departure.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 11:14 pm

Correct. And, if you try to scan an expired QR code upon arrival, you will be instructed to generate a new one.
Aye.
I suggest one doesn't let that happen: the app is good and remembers your previous inputs, but it is a little finnicky with logging in.
Better to generate the QR code before departure well in advance.
atword likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is entry to Mainland China easier from HK versus from North America or even Tokyo? I'll be flying to Tokyo twice over the next 6 months. I'll also be in HK at that time. I wouldn't mind taking a two-day trip to Shanghai. I'm trying to avoid taking another RAT if possible. I do have a valid visa that I got pre-pandemic. I also wouldn't mind registering for the e-channel that @moondog mentioned earlier. I also want to try to get that elusive Chinese bank account and set up Alipay.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:55 am

The odds of anyone asking to see your RAT upon entry are extremely low, maybe even infinitesimal. However, consider your completed test a $2 insurance policy (probably even free, assuming you still have some spare US government issued RATs lying around) should you find yourself in a pickle at some point during your visit.
lsquare and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is entry to Mainland China easier from HK versus from North America or even Tokyo? I'll be flying to Tokyo twice over the next 6 months. I'll also be in HK at that time. I wouldn't mind taking a two-day trip to Shanghai. I'm trying to avoid taking another RAT if possible. I do have a valid visa that I got pre-pandemic. I also wouldn't mind registering for the e-channel that @moondog mentioned earlier. I also want to try to get that elusive Chinese bank account and set up Alipay.
Im pretty sure you need to have a residence permit as a foreigner to access the echannel in China. Maybe something to get in touch with Vincent about!
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Im pretty sure you need to have a residence permit as a foreigner to access the echannel in China. Maybe something to get in touch with Vincent about!
100% e-channel for foreigners with residence permit.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:23 pm

The odds of anyone asking to see your RAT upon entry are extremely low, maybe even infinitesimal.
But what about boarding the plane to China?
I've only ever had to show test results at boarding flight to China, never when in China for the last few years.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:09 pm

But what about boarding the plane to China?
I've only ever had to show test results at boarding flight to China, never when in China for the last few years.
I forgot to mention airline check-in as a possible snag in my reply to lsquare , but I haven't been asked to show actual proof of testing to those people in quite some time, as well.

Here is my personal approach to RATs that I've employed ever since RATs became okay, which I've surely mentioned in this conversation. I simply keep a new RAT kit in my carry-on that I'm prepared to use pre-flight or upon entry.

I am NOT encouraging others to use this approach because I would feel awful if any of our forum members/readers ended up in a worst-case scenario situation, based on my account., but I am PERSONALLY willing to accept the risk of "worst-case scenario".
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:01 pm

Arrived at PEK a couple of hours ago.

RAT: yeah, I self administered a RAT before filling out the declaration, but also took an unused test with me, just in case. No one asked to see the RAT or its result, other than the QR code of course.

E-Channel: signed up for e-channel at PEK (after Immigration). Quite a bit of confusion by staff on how to do it, but it only took 10-15 minutes.
Let's see if it actually works though, on next exit.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Arrived at PEK a couple of hours ago.

RAT: yeah, I self administered a RAT before filling out the declaration, but also took an unused test with me, just in case. No one asked to see the RAT or its result, other than the QR code of course.

E-Channel: signed up for e-channel at PEK (after Immigration). Quite a bit of confusion by staff on how to do it, but it only took 10-15 minutes.
Let's see if it actually works though, on next exit.
What did you do to get approved? What did you provide? I'm assuming once you're approved for e-channel, you can use it at PVG as well? I mainly enter the Mainland via PVG and PEK in that order.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
What did you do to get approved? What did you provide? I'm assuming once you're approved for e-channel, you can use it at PVG as well? I mainly enter the Mainland via PVG and PEK in that order.
Just gave them the passport, provided thumb-prints, and had a pic taken.
Oh, and I had to fill out & sign a consent form "to collect data, images, biometric data, etc.".

(Have a 5-year RP)
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.