Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by Deltus
The connection to a couple of usually reliable servers kept dropping, and now I can't get onto anything at all from my phone. One server is still working from my laptop, but it's dropped a few times.
From EXPs latest news they are aware of the problems. In the last few days they've release app updates for all their platforms. I installed updates to my android phones yesterday and was able to get connections to their recommended servers in China - HK4, TK3, etc. Just now, I tried again on my China Unicom SIM and got a connection to Singapore - Marina Bay quickly. Sorry, I have no idea about IOS or PC as of now.

As always, click the link - Follow latest China updates - on the bottom of the EXP app, definitely annoying but things seem better with the latest updates, at least on Android.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by synthkeys
From EXPs latest news they are aware of the problems. In the last few days they've release app updates for all their platforms. I installed updates to my android phones yesterday and was able to get connections to their recommended servers in China - HK4, TK3, etc. Just now, I tried again on my China Unicom SIM and got a connection to Singapore - Marina Bay quickly. Sorry, I have no idea about IOS or PC as of now.

As always, click the link - Follow latest China updates - on the bottom of the EXP app, definitely annoying but things seem better with the latest updates, at least on Android.
Yeah, this morning nothing would connect but I found it yapping about an old version. I have also been having a parallel problem with DNS not working despite having internet access, I found assigning a 8.8.8.8 DNS address got me on-line enough to get the update and then the VPN came up. Unfortunately, my phone won't accept such an address for some stupid reason (when I enter the third period the save button is greyed out), even though I sideloaded the update I still can't get on. Of course without the VPN I can't get to the Play store to grab a DNS-changing app. Hopefully the DNS issue will go away and I can get it to work.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting headache with ExpressVPN for the last few days: My phone will work on cellular data. There's no connection with a local link, though. For a while the VPN would only link on cellular data but would remain up if I brought up the wi-fi, but now even that doesn't work.

My Windows PC obviously can't do cellular data, it hasn't linked for 3 days now. I haven't brought it up with support because we are flying back in a few days anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Interesting headache with ExpressVPN for the last few days: My phone will work on cellular data. There's no connection with a local link, though. For a while the VPN would only link on cellular data but would remain up if I brought up the wi-fi, but now even that doesn't work.

My Windows PC obviously can't do cellular data, it hasn't linked for 3 days now. I haven't brought it up with support because we are flying back in a few days anyway.
I had a similar thing last month in Fujian Province. I was fine in Guangdong. Strange.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
I've looked at both websites and they seem to not have an option to deliver to an address inside (Mainland) China. If you try to select it, you'll get a pop-up message like: "Cross Border King Mainland China-HK Prepaid SIM 4G Hong Kong Number (Stored-value HK$99) does not support this shipping area".
You can buy these HK SIMs on taobao and have them shipped to your Chinese address.

Originally Posted by STS-134
Does this 2 year contract SIM have a mainland number on it? And can the service on it be "suspended" for something like HK$3-20/month?
My prepaid SIM card that I picked up a few years ago has a mainland number but it doesn't always work for WIFI verifications. This was before they started ID verifications so it's going to be harder now.

Suspending is totally unnecessary as the monthly fee on my SIM is just HK$6/month.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I didn’t know it was possible to have two numbers with one physical SIM. How would the phone manage that? I’ll be back in HK in about two weeks, but not sure if I’ll have to look into it. I’m not hopeful since I don’t have Chinese ID, number, or address.
On my SIM the outbound call always uses the HK number but both numbers work for inbound.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tauphi
You can buy these HK SIMs on taobao and have them shipped to your Chinese address.
Didn't know that. That's useful, if I ever need another HK SIM and I am in China.

Originally Posted by tauphi
My prepaid SIM card that I picked up a few years ago has a mainland number but it doesn't always work for WIFI verifications. This was before they started ID verifications so it's going to be harder now.

Suspending is totally unnecessary as the monthly fee on my SIM is just HK$6/month.
Sure, but I am unaware of a way to get a new prepaid dual (mainland/HK) number SIM. All of those seem to be no longer sold and the only dual number SIM cards they do sell seem to be postpaid. If I could get a dual number SIM card, I'd dump my HK-only number SIM immediately and replace it.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The promise of Kuniao, or Coolbird, seems tempting enough: Chinese users can download the browser onto their Windows computers or smartphones and, using the VPN capabilities built into the program, directly delve into Facebook and Twitter — services banned for years by Chinese authorities who keep a tight grip over what information Chinese citizens can receive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...861_story.html
Old Nov 16, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
The promise of Kuniao, or Coolbird, seems tempting enough: Chinese users can download the browser onto their Windows computers or smartphones and, using the VPN capabilities built into the program, directly delve into Facebook and Twitter — services banned for years by Chinese authorities who keep a tight grip over what information Chinese citizens can receive.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...861_story.html
You've gotta be kidding. Lots of demand for this? I wouldn't touch this with a 5000 mile long pole, which is to say, I wouldn't even touch this from the US. Nor would I ever allow this app to run on my computer or phone. You'd better be wearing smelting gloves when handling the binaries too. I'd only ever put this stuff in a VM, which I'd then use to access the system via a burner phone number with the host OS connected to an anonymous VPN.
Internaut likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
For members of the forum that have used both a UK based CMLink SIM card, and a HK based SIM card both with a roaming package for China, can you connect if there is any significant difference in internet connectivity and performance?

Considering trying a UK CMLink SIM rather than order a HK SIM for the next trip to the motherland and just looking for assurance that the service is effectively equivalent... And all traffic is tunnelled back to the home network and is effectively unfiltered.

Cheers
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IME, roaming connectivity speeds have nothing to do with the home carrier, but I'm not an expert on this.

Switching topics, during my next trip to HK (in ~10 days), I want to stock up on prepaid data sims that work in China. I am interested in recs regarding specific channels in which to obtain these at the lowest price point. I would prefer vendors near Wanchai, but I don't mind going to Stanley...hoping no Mongkok though.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by moondog
IME, roaming connectivity speeds have nothing to do with the home carrier, but I'm not an expert on this.

Switching topics, during my next trip to HK (in ~10 days), I want to stock up on prepaid data sims that work in China. I am interested in recs regarding specific channels in which to obtain these at the lowest price point. I would prefer vendors near Wanchai, but I don't mind going to Stanley...hoping no Mongkok though.
If you don't want to wander to SSP Duck St., there is a SIM only vendor in the old 298 computer centre.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
If you don't want to wander to SSP Duck St., there is a SIM only vendor in the old 298 computer centre.
Many thx. I'll pm you closer to my trip if I need more guidance.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Many thx. I'll pm you closer to my trip if I need more guidance.
Which carrier are you thinking of going with? I'll be back in HK in about a month. I'm also thinking of doing what you're planning to do.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Which carrier are you thinking of going with? I'll be back in HK in about a month. I'm also thinking of doing what you're planning to do.
I don't really care about the carrier, as long as it works. But, one of my HK friends has been buying China Mobile prepaids at Stanley, and he likes them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.