Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Question Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Hello All,

I will be going to Beijing on a business trip next month and it's going to be a regular thing.

I read everywhere that the internet is restricted with most of the foreign websites being blocked (Facebook is blocked, youtube is blocked in China etc...)

This guide about VPN for China explains that some VPN are blocked in China and therefore they recommend some VPN that they tested within China.

What is your experience about this do you have an issue with your VPN or things are reliable?

Thanks
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: SW Gold, SF Gold, FB Silver
dont believe whats written in internet, its all about advertising
I used and tested a lot of vpn in china and i know what they are talking about.
Use Astrill its the best to use in china right now and be sure to include "StealthVPN addon" when you subscribe, its the most expensive of all VPN but the fastest and reliable
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, most foreign websites work in China. It's just the ones that don't include many big sites. If it's well known and produces news or accepts user content it's probably blocked.

I looked at the Astrill VPN that noble is suggesting, for a tourist it has the really big drawback that the smallest amount you can buy is three months of service.

Our last two trips I ended up going with ExpressVPN. No problems with it being blocked but lots of configuration hassles--I couldn't get it to handle things over about 1mb without poking in the configuration at the guidance of their tech support. On my laptop this wasn't that big a deal (I'm quite technical, though), I didn't get it set up on my android because it required a fully manual configuration--no ability to choose the best server at the time.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I've used Express VPN in the past on a laptop and my iPhone and it works well.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by noble
dont believe whats written in internet, its all about advertising
I used and tested a lot of vpn in china and i know what they are talking about.
Use Astrill its the best to use in china right now and be sure to include "StealthVPN addon" when you subscribe, its the most expensive of all VPN but the fastest and reliable

I asked some of my friends in China and they said lately they have a lot of issue with Astrill (slow, customer support offline etc...) i'll try it when i am there anyway.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I used to use Express VPN, but it expired. I paid $9.95 a month, but a friend told me she found a VPN that was like $30 unlimited usage. Does anyone know of one like that?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
I used Express VPN and had unlimited data. Good experience overall.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
While living in China, I used VyprVPN and only had issues when the government decided to slow down all VPNs
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:25 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
There are various reasons I won't use ExpressVPN. I use VPN.AC instead. They pretty much always work, and they also offer a 1 month plan. For short trips, though, I just tether everything off a CMHK SIM. HK$48 daily rate and HK$300=HK$400 credit top-up bonus means "unlimited" (throttled after 1GB daily) data for 8 days. I only go with mainland SIM + VPN if I'm staying for longer than the first 8 days.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:36 am

I live in China now and use Cocoon Cloud browser as a nice VPN alternative for $1.75 per month and it works with Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and other video sites as well as Google, Gmail, FB & Twitter.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xiatiandexia
I live in China now and use Cocoon Cloud browser as a nice VPN alternative for $1.75 per month and it works with Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and other video sites as well as Google, Gmail, FB & Twitter.
That's helpful info. I just signed up for VPN Secure and it doesn't work with Netflix or other streaming sites. Really disappointing. Glad to hear Cocoon works...has anyone else had experience using it in countries other than China?

Do you think this is an alternative to a VPN when it comes to China's crackdown on VPNs?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: various
Most of the Old China Hand regulars on this forum who live or frequently travel to China, do not share VPN or alternative methodologies on open forum but deal with on private messages. Think about it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's helpful info. I just signed up for VPN Secure and it doesn't work with Netflix or other streaming sites. Really disappointing. Glad to hear Cocoon works...has anyone else had experience using it in countries other than China?

Do you think this is an alternative to a VPN when it comes to China's crackdown on VPNs?
The problem with not working with NexFlix is on NetFlix's side, don't expect to have much luck working around it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:14 am

I haven't been in China yet.
But in my location, i'm using the free vpn included in the Opera Browser to visit the blocked website, as this picture and it worked.

I'm not sure it works in CN. I hope you guys try it.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:15 am

Am I right in saying that using a foreign SIM card allows you to access websites like Google and Facebook?

If so, that could be an option as SIM cards in China are relatively expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.