Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:12 am

During my first stay in China last week I used the VPN Connection provided by my university. It was surprisingly stable and reasonably fast (Youtube Videos worked in acceptable resolution).

It runs with a cisco client.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by tauphi
Android push notifications have been unblocked for over a year. So it could be that you're getting your WhatsApp messages through that channel. Can you actually send out a WhatsApp message without a VPN?
I'm not actually in China at the moment, but the person I was messaging is, and she was sending and receiving actual messages without being on the VPN...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
And...? Does the government approve of Facebook now?
No.
Facebook has been trying to integrate whatsapp with facebook messenger. Which does not use end-to-end encryption.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:55 am

has anyone who's more technical in the thread tried using a self hosted vpn?
I often find that sites that block known VPNS or throw up excessive captchas let self hosted VPNs through.

(You lose the anonymity of having multiple people share the tunnel, but if all you want is to punch out confidentially it's a good solution, I use it for my laptop for domestic travel since I often use random wireless access points)

I know of one solution that places like Digital Ocean, AWS, Azure etc can all run. (The protocol is Wireguard), not going to name the specific implementation
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Castoreum
I know of one solution that places like Digital Ocean, AWS, Azure etc can all run. (The protocol is Wireguard), not going to name the specific implementation
I presume you're talking about that system based on footwear.

I'm trying to find some information on what the cost is and can you connect multiple devices to one host?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Just arrived in Shanghai, staying at the Fairfield by Marriott on Gonghexin Road. I'm surprised that my VPN (TB) actually works with the hotel's Wi-Fi!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why are you surprised that your VPN works?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by moondog
Why are you surprised that your VPN works?
I’m surprised it works because in the past, it didn't. Last year, when I was in Guangzhou (also the last time I was in China for a significant period of time), it didn’t work at all so I had to use AT&T roaming just so I could use the Internet on my laptop.

That said, I can’t rely on AT&T this time around for mobile data tethering (I’m already at 90% of my limit for the month, and with work I’m bound to go over, meaning I’ll be stuck browsing at 128kbps speeds until it resets when it does), so my VPN working is a godsend.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:17 am

At the risk of both beating a dead horse and coming across as a commercial shill, exp almost always works well, but I resort to live chat on occasion in order to optimize.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:43 pm

At this point, during my next trip, I'm going to try exp, since my last two have not worked. They suggested I try entering different server numbers, but, I'm not about to go through that much trouble.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
At this point, during my next trip, I'm going to try exp, since my last two have not worked. They suggested I try entering different server numbers, but, I'm not about to go through that much trouble.
If you end up trying exp, following is my current path of least resistance:
1. Get on live chat with them before your trip (it's not super hard to reach them from within China, but it's really easy to reach them pretty much everywhere else)
2. Tell them what devices you'll be using, and they'll send you most reliable app versions for all
3. I ask for advice about good servers based on my locations, but this is usually pretty easy to figure out (e.g. I have a short list of 10 servers, and usually stick with my favourite 2 or 3)
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I presume you're talking about that system based on footwear.

I'm trying to find some information on what the cost is and can you connect multiple devices to one host?
I don't think we're thinking of same thing. This is a self hostel VPN - you put the software in a place like AWS and run it yourself
Old Jul 8, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
At the risk of both beating a dead horse and coming across as a commercial shill, exp almost always works well, but I resort to live chat on occasion in order to optimize.
EXP hasn’t worked for me for the last month, this is despite downloading their latest app when I was out of China last week. The government is definitely stopping these things from working at a much more efficient pace than before. Maybe I’m doing something wrong because I’m not tech savvy, but based on my experience I’d not recommend Exp to anyone now.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:51 pm

I have spent many hours chatting with exp over the years, including during some especially dire periods. While patience is often required, they always make sure that things are working smoothly before ending sessions. One tip on this point: since you might not be able to access their normal URL when you're not connected to VPN, bookmark a few others (e.g use google to find) that are not blocked. You can also ask people here to PM you URLs.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:47 pm

People, if you don't mind spending a few bucks, ExpressVPN should be your first VPN choice in China. Otherwise, I'd recommend PandaVPN, which is a newcomer VPN that works perfect in China, they're offering buy one year get one year free for first-time signups coupons recently.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 6, 2019 at 1:43 pm Reason: Removed referral links

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.