Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:25 am

vpn in china

there are alot of vpns but the best vpns which are working in china are express, nord and pure vpn. I normarlly use these vpns on my visit to china.
zawar likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Exp is declining in reliability/usability, IME.
I still have it, but will use others more and more.

The issue with VPNs in China seems to be, that if they become too popular they suffer the wrath of efforts of having them blocked.
Then, another new VPN comes along to take its place, and it works VERY well until it gets too popular.
So, I am not going to post the two other VPNs that I use with much success in China, because I am totally selfish and do not want to share bandwidth with anyone, nor want them to become too popular!
moondog, Loren Pechtel and zawar like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:35 am

yes i read this thread but i did some research to it most of VPNs recommended here recently gets bad reviews inside mainland
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:33 pm

hello everyone! i found this website which is referring that currently PureVPN is among the best. soon i need to go china for further studies i need recommendations.
here is the weblink [ https://www.cheapchinavpn.com/].....
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I tried out Pure earlier this year, and was not impressed. That having been said, the key thing I've learned about this topic over time is that there is no one size fits all solution. Relevant variables include: your location, proximity (not necessarily straight line distance) to the servers you connect to, your own server resources (in the case of protocols like shadowsocks), your device type(s), speed v reliability, Netflix access...

Exp remains my favorite, though some of my Chinese friends think it is needlessly expensive compared to what the services they use. And, I must admit that Exp is not immune to weak areas and bad days. I stick by them because their customer service people are awesome, and always stay with me on chat until I can at least get on gmail.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Testing out ExpressVPN. Couple of observations:
  • Great if you can connect.
  • Over the hotel WiFi it is blocked. Thankfully, some cheeky use of corporate VPN got around that (of course, emailed our IT and asked for forgiveness "after" the event)...
  • I've not yet tried it with the Unicom SIM I picked up at the airport (will be getting around to that).
  • With roaming SIMs, it's not always needed.
I'll elaborate on the last point. I've seen it asserted in various places, including this forum, that roaming SIMs are not behind the Great Firewall. I don't think this is strictly true. Google Maps has been blocked for me, with my roaming SIMs (personal SIM with a 500Mb daily allowance, and a CMLInk SIM with 10GB) unless I connect to VPN. I think it's safer to say that, when roaming, you are behind the Great Firewall but with extra privileges granted.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
Exp remains my favorite, though some of my Chinese friends think it is needlessly expensive compared to what the services they use.
Yeah but Chinese ISPs are ridiculously cheap. I had a friend in Beijing who told me that he didn't use online map services because "they use too much data" and I asked him how much he was paying for data. It was something in the neighborhood of US$1-2/GB. I told him that people who pay US$1-2/GB have no right to complain about how much data their apps use.

I'm not sure how anyone makes any money. Unicom apparently now charges about US$5-10 for 15-20 GB now, and I believe my wife's parents pay something like US$5-10/month for their cable modem or DSL connection.

So Exp is pretty expensive in comparison to those prices, although not very expensive in the big picture. Hmm...that gives me an idea. If Donald Trump reads this post (okay probably not lol), then I would suggest that we consider the cost of a VPN as a "tariff" on Google/Youtube/etc. and we calculate its percentage relative to the cost of internet access in China. Then we impose equal % tariffs on high tech goods coming out of China, until China drops its "tariffs" on our companies. And unlike Trump's usual unpredictability, this would be a specific line item grievance with a specific action that needs to be taken to get both sides to drop their silly tariffs, namely, stop blocking our companies' websites and we'll stop taxing yours.

Originally Posted by Internaut
Testing out ExpressVPN. Couple of observations:
  • Great if you can connect.
  • Over the hotel WiFi it is blocked. Thankfully, some cheeky use of corporate VPN got around that (of course, emailed our IT and asked for forgiveness "after" the event)...
  • I've not yet tried it with the Unicom SIM I picked up at the airport (will be getting around to that).
  • With roaming SIMs, it's not always needed.
I'll elaborate on the last point. I've seen it asserted in various places, including this forum, that roaming SIMs are not behind the Great Firewall. I don't think this is strictly true. Google Maps has been blocked for me, with my roaming SIMs (personal SIM with a 500Mb daily allowance, and a CMLInk SIM with 10GB) unless I connect to VPN. I think it's safer to say that, when roaming, you are behind the Great Firewall but with extra privileges granted.
That's impossible. Because of the way GSM/UMTS/LTE works, all data gets passed, encrypted, to the home network, before being passed out to the public internet.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
That's impossible. Because of the way GSM/UMTS/LTE works, all data gets passed, encrypted, to the home network, before being passed out to the public internet.
So I get data gets tunneled through to your home network but doesn't it pass through Chinese networks first? Are you sure my data is 100% encrypted and unreadable by Chinese authorities?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dmo580
So I get data gets tunneled through to your home network but doesn't it pass through Chinese networks first? Are you sure my data is 100% encrypted and unreadable by Chinese authorities?
Yes, I'm sure. No company is going to allow anyone, not even a roaming partner, to tamper with the data in transit, because billing integrity depends on it. I think what might be happening here is that your DNS cache might have been poisoned or your system might be trying to use a Chinese DNS server (perhaps because it was on a Chinese Wifi hotspot), despite the fact that your data is being tunneled elsewhere. Turning on a VPN likely overrides the DNS settings, and turning it off restores them to whatever they were before you turned on the VPN.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Yes, I'm sure. No company is going to allow anyone, not even a roaming partner, to tamper with the data in transit, because billing integrity depends on it. I think what might be happening here is that your DNS cache might have been poisoned or your system might be trying to use a Chinese DNS server (perhaps because it was on a Chinese Wifi hotspot), despite the fact that your data is being tunneled elsewhere. Turning on a VPN likely overrides the DNS settings, and turning it off restores them to whatever they were before you turned on the VPN.
Got it. I've never had any issues roaming. Just gotta be careful with WiFi connections especially if your phone auto-connects to hotels and such, which is why I tend to leave my phone off WiFi while traveling and only use WiFi on my laptop or tablet where I forcibly turn on and off VPNs.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by dmo580
If China can see the data stream at all, the most they would be able to do is work out what you're looking at (e.g. Facebook or WhatsApp) using deep packet inspection. This would be the point at which they *might* be able to do something a little naughty (though this seems unlikely having read the discussion since my post above). What they cannot do is intercept any meta data or actual communications.

My CMLink SIM is potentially an exception to all this. CMLink is a UK based MVNO (virtual operator) owned by China Mobile. MVNOs vary from piggybacking on the network totally to having some of their own equipment (i.e. voice mail system, SMSC and potentially data billing equipment). Whether they'd bother though, I don't know. Even my BT Mobile SIM allows me 500GB per day (at a rather pricey £7 per day).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I’m currently in China and when browsing FT, I see VPN ads like from Express. lmao!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I’m currently in China and when browsing FT, I see VPN ads like from Express. lmao!
Isn't China one of their biggest markets?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Isn't China one of their biggest markets?
You’re probably right! Are you subscribing to any service?

Btw, until I started staying at Marriott properties recently, I was never able to use the hotel’s wifi since I don’t have a Chinese number. A lot of sites are still blocked. Also the speeds aren’t too good at any of the places that I have stayed in.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
You’re probably right! Are you subscribing to any service?

Btw, until I started staying at Marriott properties recently, I was never able to use the hotel’s wifi since I don’t have a Chinese number. A lot of sites are still blocked. Also the speeds aren’t too good at any of the places that I have stayed in.
Yes, I still use Exp. It seems that they're no longer the clear leader for expats, but I have no plans on switching unless they let me down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.