Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Yes, I still use Exp. It seems that they're no longer the clear leader for expats, but I have no plans on switching unless they let me down.
I’m thinking of signing up for Express. What are your issues with them? Who’s the clear leader?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
I’m thinking of signing up for Express. What are your issues with them? Who’s the clear leader?
I don't have any real problems myself. Sometimes certain servers and/or protocols have issues, which can take a while to resolve, but their customer service people have a great deal of patience, and always make sure things are good before closing out chat sessions.

With respect to other companies, I haven't found any that I like better than exp, but exp is expensive, and I have friends who claim to get better performance for a fraction of the cost. I don't mind paying a premium for the reliability/dependability of exp, and their performance is good enough for me (e.g. decent Netflix quality is one of my benchmarks).

Last edited by moondog; Oct 21, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
(e.g. decent Netflix quality is one of my benchmarks).
Finding Netflix blocked was one of the surprises of the trip given i) the amount of Chinese content on Netflix and ii) that Netflix can and does exercise tight control over what can and cannot be seen based on where you are actually connecting to Netflix from.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Internaut
Finding Netflix blocked was one of the surprises of the trip given i) the amount of Chinese content on Netflix and ii) that Netflix can and does exercise tight control over what can and cannot be seen based on where you are actually connecting to Netflix from.
Netflix delivers different content to different regions.

The exp people tell me that Netflix frequently blocks specific IP addresses, so finding servers that work (and, are fast) is a bit of a cat and mouse game. This is one of my most frequent customer service requests:"I'm in Shanghai. Please tell me which servers work best on Netflix now". They always answer quickly, and ask me not to share with others [in forums like this] unless I fancy watching half of a movie.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Netflix delivers different content to different regions.

The exp people tell me that Netflix frequently blocks specific IP addresses, so finding servers that work (and, are fast) is a bit of a cat and mouse game. This is one of my most frequent customer service requests:"I'm in Shanghai. Please tell me which servers work best on Netflix now". They always answer quickly, and ask me not to share with others [in forums like this] unless I fancy watching half of a movie.
When is the best time to sign up? Do they have a free trial? I’ll be in China for another 3 weeks.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:12 am

When is the best time to sign up? Do they have a free trial? I’ll be in China for another 3 weeks.
I'm not sure if there is a best time. You need to put down a credit card for the free trial; iirc it's 30 days.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:14 am

A few times a year I've seen sales from ExpressVPN that drops the price down quite a bit. IIRC it's typically not an upfront discount but more like "get x months free" so you end up stuck with them for a while.

I paid for a year last Oct or Nov and it's not set to expire until next March.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Nord was on my list of VPNs that I maybe wanted to try as a backup to Exp. But now, I don't think I'd go with a company that got breached almost two years ago and took 19 months (?!?!?) to disclose it. https://arstechnica.com/information-...ar/?comments=1
Old Oct 22, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow
A few times a year I've seen sales from ExpressVPN that drops the price down quite a bit. IIRC it's typically not an upfront discount but more like "get x months free" so you end up stuck with them for a while.

I'm sure I've mentioned it previously in this thread, but I always pay monthly which means no discounts. The reason I do this is because I'd like to be able to drop them at any time. I don't mind paying the premium this entails because it's an expense item for me.
Jiatong and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ExpressVPN is being quite unstable at present.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure I've mentioned it previously in this thread, but I always pay monthly which means no discounts. The reason I do this is because I'd like to be able to drop them at any time. I don't mind paying the premium this entails because it's an expense item for me.
Lucky you!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
ExpressVPN is being quite unstable at present.
Can you please elaborate?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiantCow

I’m thinking about giving this a try. There is a 30 day trial and I’ll be in China for another 2.5 weeks. The current promo is $99.95 for 15 months, which is $6.67/month. Which offer you did you get? I wonder if Black Friday will be any better?

My plan is to spend the rest of my stays at Marriott and Accor properties. I’m currently booking my stays one day at a time which means I’m most likely paying more, but I don’t care as this gives me max flexibility. I’ll test out the internet speed with Express. From memory, Ibis internet doesn’t work without a Chinese phone number, at least that was the case in Nanjing. Not sure how it’ll be like in Beijing. I thought being a western chain, there wouldn’t be such restrictions.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Doesn't matter if you are in a western chain, you are still in China and that chain will use an internet provider which will be restricted via GFW. When I first started coming to SZ (which is close to HK), the hotel I stay at (non-western) was using internet provided through HK, so google and other sites were accessible. They changed that after a while.

I've been paying for Express for 4 years now. Yes it's pricey but overall its reliable and gets the job done. As moondog mentioned, their customer service is very good. There have been times, for various reasons (mostly political) where service has been unreliable. Certain events might trigger Express being shut down for a week or so but at some point, service is restored. I've dabbled with Nord and Shadowsocks but I find both to be require a lot of configuration and maintenance for me. Express is very simple, pick one of the recommended servers and try to connect.

In addition to Express, I also use an HK SIM in the main phone I use in China, along with a Chinese SIM. HK SIM is the fastest and most reliable but also the most expensive option. Since I operate as a sub-contractor with my own corporation, I just take all these as business expenses and both Express and a HK SIM have been very worthwhile for me given the amount of time I spend in China.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I’m thinking about giving this a try. There is a 30 day trial and I’ll be in China for another 2.5 weeks. The current promo is $99.95 for 15 months, which is $6.67/month. Which offer you did you get? I wonder if Black Friday will be any better?
I can't figure out why anyone would pay for a VPN service in intervals of more than 1 month. Make them earn the next month's revenue, and if they fail to earn it, drop them. If I currently subscribed to NordVPN for example, I'd be dropping them right now, for failing to disclose that they were hacked for 19 months.

My plan is to spend the rest of my stays at Marriott and Accor properties. I’m currently booking my stays one day at a time which means I’m most likely paying more, but I don’t care as this gives me max flexibility. I’ll test out the internet speed with Express. From memory, Ibis internet doesn’t work without a Chinese phone number, at least that was the case in Nanjing. Not sure how it’ll be like in Beijing. I thought being a western chain, there wouldn’t be such restrictions.
What is Ibis? At every hotel I've stayed at, you typically need to enter your room # and last name to get on the hotel WiFi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.