Reload this Page >

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: moondog
If you want to use sites like Google, FB, and Twitter in China, you need a means to bypass government imposed blocks.

Roaming on your home country's network works like a charm, but this can be slow and/or expensive.

Most of us use VPNs or Shadowsocks (the latter requires a bit more legwork because you need to find, and pay for, a good server on your own you want good results).

While this topic is not illegal, we have definitely noticed that over plugging solutions that work well often results in diminished performance (because this makes them targets).

As such, my hope is that we can refrain from using buzzwords or complete company names in this thread. By way of example, "E" is impossible to catch via search, while the company name is easy.
Print Wikipost

Best and Fast VPN for China ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
I'm not familiar with Signal, but I;m liking ast a lot. I am not planning on dumping exp though because it's good to have a backup. The HK SIMs are better than both of course, but they are pricey, especially when your software decides to update itself.
Signal is a secure messaging platform. iMessage worked for me in the Mainland, but I have no way to test Signal at the moment since I’m not in China.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moondog, what is AST? Astrill VPN?

Anyone here tried ProtonVPN?
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lsquare
moondog, what is AST?
Yes. We try our best to use abbreviations in this thread.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: CX, BA
Smile

edit for misread
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes. We try our best to use abbreviations in this thread.
Since AST is new in this thread, why use abbreviation immediately?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:18 am

Since AST is new in this thread, why use abbreviation immediately?
While many of the net nannies know the abbreviations, a lot don't. Exp has been hit hard, in part because we publicize it. Ast has been spared of this plight because it isn't popular yet.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While many of the net nannies know the abbreviations, a lot don't. Exp has been hit hard, in part because we publicize it. Ast has been spared of this plight because it isn't popular yet.
Have you tried ProtonVPN yet? I’m already subscribing to Exp and I can’t justify subscribing to two VPNs.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Sigh. Not more security via obscurity arguments. If knowledge of what VPN service you're using and how the encryption protocol works is sufficient to stop its use, then they're doing things wrong. Unless they're blocking ALL encrypted traffic.

Have you tried ProtonVPN yet? I’m already subscribing to Exp and I can’t justify subscribing to two VPNs.
You're crazy. Using only one VPN in China is like flying a single engine plane from California to Hawaii. One failure and you go into the water.
uanj, lsquare and narvik like this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Sigh. Not more security via obscurity arguments. If knowledge of what VPN service you're using and how the encryption protocol works is sufficient to stop its use, then they're doing things wrong. Unless they're blocking ALL encrypted traffic.

You're crazy. Using only one VPN in China is like flying a single engine plane from California to Hawaii. One failure and you go into the water.
Until exp started sucking (it's kind of okay again now btw), I used it at home after work, and my HK Sims at work. HK Sims really are pricey these days, but I don't watch movies while at work. Email and normal web surfing won't kill them.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134

lol! That's a funny FT analogy. Point taken.
STS-134 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until exp started sucking (it's kind of okay again now btw), I used it at home after work, and my HK Sims at work. HK Sims really are pricey these days, but I don't watch movies while at work. Email and normal web surfing won't kill them.
I don't get it. You have two functioning VPNs in China. Why do you still need HK sims?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 5:30 am

I don't get it. You have two functioning VPNs in China. Why do you still need HK sims?
The HK Sims are extremely fast and I still have five left.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The HK Sims are extremely fast and I still have five left.
What do you need the speed for? Not possible to use Mainland SIM with VPN?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:08 am

What do you need the speed for? Not possible to use Mainland SIM with VPN?
I like it when websites load quickly.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
lol! That's a funny FT analogy. Point taken.
Even non aviation geeks just kind of "get" this analogy. I told this to my wife, who then apparently told her cousin (who studies in Australia but was back in China when I met her) the same thing. I don't believe either of them know much about aviation.

When I go to China, in terms of VPNs, I always go with at least a trijet, if not a quadjet. And one time I DID lose an engine. Fortunately, it was only one, and the other engines kept me flying.

In addition to the VPNs, I also carry a HK SIM (which I can continually recharge) and my AT&T SIM. The HK SIM is used when I'm away from WiFi so that I don't have to keep my VPN on all the time (VPN drains my phone battery and constant hopping between WiFi and LTE sometimes causes it to not properly connect, so it's just simpler for me to manually switch on the VPN any time I'm on WiFi for an extended period of time). The two SIM cards also function as emergency VPNs, just in case my "plane" mentioned above goes into a volcanic ash cloud and loses all engines simultaneously.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.