Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
If evidence continues to come out detailing the ways DHS considered retribution against NYS, they should have a pretty easy job of making that argument. The plan to shut down TSA Precheck lines in airports throughout NY was particularly egregious.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ords-sanctuary
I don't see how any judge could, e.g., order DHS to approve New Yorkers for SENTRI without having access to the underlying DMV records, no matter what some internal memos at DHS might have said. Best case, seems like those applications would sit in pending status until the situation changed.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
So the driving license and car registration info is “critical” to GE for CBP to process GE members coming in by road from Canada, but it’s not “critical” when the GE member has a driving license issued by say a European country and is driving in on a rental car? This talk about CBP critically needing all this info to do its job is just an excuse — one of many excuses — for trying to justify DHS/CBP using GE as a pressure point to try to change state law to suit the federal government.
Which Europeans are entering the U.S. using only their driver license, like New Yorkers can do?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not only Europeans, but also some Americans and Canadians are in GE and drive into the US on European licenses.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Not only Europeans, but also some Americans and Canadians are in GE and drive into the US on European licenses.
Another non sequitur. The point was the entering, not the driving.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Another non sequitur. The point was the entering, not the driving.
Your question was the non-sequitur to my posted point. My post, the one which you quoted, was indicating that DHS/CBP has been able to accept and approve applications for GE members even when the applicant/member is licensed in jurisdictions where DHS doesn’t have unimpeded access to the foreign license issuing authorities’ records and yet DHS still allows for such persons to be GE members and enter from Canada while driving in on foreign licenses in rental cars.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Your question was the non-sequitur to my posted point. My post, the one which you quoted, was indicating that DHS/CBP has been able to accept and approve applications for GE members even when the applicant/member is licensed in jurisdictions where DHS doesn’t have unimpeded access to the foreign license issuing authorities’ records and yet DHS still allows for such persons to be GE members and enter from Canada while driving in on foreign licenses in rental cars.
Despite you bringing this up on a near-daily basis, it remains unclear how this point is relevant here. DHS is obviously going to care more about driver licenses that can be used to enter the U.S. (e.g., New York EDL) than foreign driver licenses that cannot be used to enter the U.S. There also aren't masses of people trying to enter the U.S. by car from Canada with Slovakian plates, unlike the situation with New Yorkers and New York plates.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:47 pm
Suspended

DHS didn’t do this because of EDLs.

DHS did this GE shutdown against NY residents for this purpose: to protest against a NY law which the federal government doesn’t like and to do it in a way to get attention.
tom911 and Ari like this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
(Second passport can be unknown to DHS.)

Do you use it to enter the U.S.?
That would be illegal.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:11 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That only says “issue or renew.” It doesn’t say anything about, e.g., a change of address.
Your position is quite the moving target.

You really don't understand the concept of pretext. Stop shilling for the administration.

Last edited by Ari; Feb 11, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
Your position is quite the moving target.

You really don't understand the concept of pretext. Stop shilling for the administration.
Pointing out that outdated ID isn’t valid ID is “moving the target”?
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:30 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pointing out that outdated ID isn’t valid ID is “moving the target”?
The two of us can't go back and forth much more in this thread without completely hijacking it and I am not going to engage in borderline post-stalking (against FT POS) by quoting all of your previous posts in this thread to show the morphing of your positions and claims over time. It should suffice to say that every time you come up with an explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action against the the residents of the State of New York and that explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action is then debunked by documented fact, you come up with another different explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action (i.e. your position morphs). Then that other different explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action is debunked by documented fact in a post and you come up with yet another different explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action (i.e. your position morphs again).

Those of us who are serious about posting fact-based facts rather than opinion-based facts lose patience going back and forth ad infinitum running headlong into a brick wall.

# # #

In order to make this thread more productive and based on current events (rather than last week's), I'll take the trouble to read the NY AG complaint and post on that later rather than rehash old stuff.
GUWonder and STS-134 like this.

Last edited by Ari; Feb 11, 2020 at 11:38 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ari
The two of us can't go back and forth much more in this thread without completely hijacking it and I am not going to engage in borderline post-stalking (against FT POS) by quoting all of your previous posts in this thread to show the morphing of your positions and claims over time. It should suffice to say that every time you come up with an explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action against the the residents of the State of New York and that explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action is then debunked by documented fact, you come up with another different explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action (i.e. your position morphs). Then that other different explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action is debunked by documented fact in a post and you come up with yet another different explanation/excuse/pretext for the administration's retaliatory action (i.e. your position morphs again).

Those of us who are serious about posting fact-based facts rather than opinion-based facts lose patience going back and forth ad infinitum running headlong into a brick wall.

# # #

In order to make this thread more productive and based on current events (rather than last week's), I'll take the trouble to read the NY AG complaint and post on that later rather than rehash old stuff.
Wouldn’t it have been simpler to answer the one-sentence question I posed?

Anyway, Cuomo has already blinked. He’s meeting with Trump today to offer access to DMV records for TTP applicants.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:32 am

Cuomo floats a compromise: https://www.democratandchronicle.com...ng/4735678002/
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sekhmet101
It might be better all around to allow applicants for GE/NEXUS etc. to sign a waver permitting DHS to access their records. From my reading of info in reference above DHS could still find reason to reject some NYS drivers applying for special programs.
Should the Cuomo "exception" be OK with DHS, would flyers who were in the conditional approval state and were cast-off have to start anew?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
It might be better all around to allow applicants for GE/NEXUS etc. to sign a waver permitting DHS to access their records. From my reading of info in reference above DHS could still find reason to reject some NYS drivers applying for special programs.
Hard to imagine DHS agreeing to this, as it would act as an invitation for other states to implement similar restrictions. Managing the waivers would also add a new layer of unwanted bureaucracy and potential liability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.