Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Hertz platinum, Bonvoy titanium , Delta flying colonel/platinum/MM, retired old men board member
uber: you are almost correct. The fed does have control of immigration (including passing though customs. And per the Federal Court, the president does have the power to withhold money over the states' cooperation with immigration.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 10:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Reminder: Keep Political Commentary and Debate out of the TS/S Policy Debate Forum!

It's been about a month since I posted the following, so it's time for a reminder.

Originally Posted by TWA884
Please let me remind you once again that there is a very fine line between border security discussion and political debate. Please do not cross it!

It has been a long standing practice at FlyerTalk that political discussions belong in OMNI/PR (access to OMNI is restricted to members who have been registered on FlyerTalk for a minimum of 180 days and have posted at least 180 contributivemessages). Yes, I understand that those of you who are not OMNI qualified are frustrated by not being able to discuss the political aspects and ramifications of this move by the Department of Homeland Security.

Additional posts have been deleted.

If you see political commentary in this thread, please do not respond; alert the moderator by clicking on the exclamation mark symbol in the red triangle on the left side of the post.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Please take your political arguments to the New Global Entry suspended for NY Citizens due to Sanctuary law thread in OMNI/PR.

There will be no future reminders or warnings! Future posts of a political nature will be summarily deleted and repeat offenders will earn timeouts from posting on FlyerTalk.

TWA884
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Got the refUnd credit to my AMeX.

does anyone know if I’ll get a new Amex credit? Or just keep the $100?

if I get to keep the $100 (liquidating the. Credit) and use my CSR to reapply, that’s a wiN
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by A321neo
Got the refUnd credit to my AMeX.

does anyone know if I’ll get a new Amex credit? Or just keep the $100?

if I get to keep the $100 (liquidating the. Credit) and use my CSR to reapply, that’s a wiN
Most likely, Amex will not issue a new GE/TTP credit.
I had a similar issue with Chase.
I had actually called and spoke to a customer svc rep in the early days initially after the suspension and the rep said regardless of how the refund was obtained, either via chargeback or official refund, the money refunded would be applied to my account and the GE/TTP credit would be considered used on the initial first charge.
Ironically, prior to me seeing the official refund, I gave up and caved...I applied for TSA Precheck.
Decided that I would just use the TSA Precheck and Mobile Passport App for international, which sometimes can actually be faster than using GE.
My original plan was to apply for the regular TSA Precheck, then once approved (had conditional approval for GE b4 they cancelled the application), I'd filed for a chargeback with Chase.
They day I completed the TSA Precheck interview, the GE refunds showed up on my cc account.

I would just reapply using the CSR.
Highly doubt CSR would AMEX communicate with each other on this.
Definite win! lol

Last edited by vbnyc; Mar 10, 2020 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 23, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

DHS Press Release:

Release Date: July 23, 2020

WASHINGTONToday, the Department of Homeland Security announced it will lift its ban on the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) for New York residents. After DHS cut off the TTP program in February, Governor Andrew Cuomo and the state legislature amended the law that prevents sharing of information to federal law enforcement officers who are working to protect the citizens of New York and the American people.

New York amended the Green Light Law to expressly allow for information-sharing of NY DMV records “as necessary for an individual seeking acceptance into a trusted traveler program, or to facilitate vehicle imports and/or exports.”

Old Jul 24, 2020, 5:42 am

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
And, what the DHS press release didn't say...

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne...ram-2020-07-23

But in a court filing later Thursday, attorneys for the U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan, which had been representing the Department of Homeland Security in the legal fight over the state’s expulsion, disclosed that federal officials had also misled the court about some key facts in the dispute.

TerryK, GUWonder, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by socalflying; Jul 24, 2020 at 6:10 am Reason: Add clearer quote from source
Old Jul 24, 2020, 8:48 am

Exclamation Moderator's Note

Folks,

There are several aspects of this new development that have more to do with politics than to border policy debate.

If you wish to discuss the political aspects and ramifications of the suspension and subsequent reinstatement of Global Entry and other Trusted Traveler programs membership eligibility for New York State residents, we have a thread discussing those in OMNI/PR (Politics and Religion - access to the OMNI forums is limited to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and posted 180 contributive posts):
Posts which are political in nature will be deleted from this thread without further notice.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Old Jul 24, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
Link to article reinstating New York.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/n...e=articleShare
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Judge orders DHS to collect all 'inaccurate' or 'misleading' statements it made in Global Entry lawsuit

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/polit...uit/index.html

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2020/images/0...42__0090.0.pdf
GUWonder and Ari like this.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
There are no refunds for any fees paid for Global Entry applications (with the sole exception of applications which have been cancelled due to NY state residents no longer being eligible for trusted traveler programs).
What is this about? Is it political retribution for NY government somehow offending the current administration?
Old Sep 19, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by randysea
What is this about? Is it political retribution for NY government somehow offending the current administration?
​​​​​​randysea,

I relocated your question to the relevant thread.

I'll just add that the ban on the Trusted Traveler Programs memberships for New York residents was lifted in July.

TWA884
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:20 pm

U.S. Attorney's letter to Judge Furman:
Dear Judge Furman:

This Office represents the Defendants in the above-referenced actions. We write respectfully to update the Court on U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (“CBP’s”) efforts to resolve the residual effects of the rescinded policy at issue in these lawsuits (the “TTP Decision”). See ECF Nos. 94, 109.

First, with limited exceptions, the Trusted Traveler Program (“TTP”) applications of New York residents whose applications had been cancelled when the TTP Decision went into effect were restored to the TTP website on September 26, 2020.* These individuals will have until March 26, 2021 to pay their application fees (which had been refunded) and resubmit their applications for processing by CBP. CBP emailed instructions to these individuals on how they should proceed should they wish to resume the TTP application process. Second, on September 25, 2020, CBP restored the TTP memberships of New York residents whose membership lapsed while the TTP Decision was in effect. These individuals will maintain their membership in the program and have until March 25, 2021, to submit a renewal application. If these TTP members submit a renewal application between now and March 25, 2021, they will receive the 18-month grace period to which all TTP members who submit a timely renewal application are entitled, during which they will retain the benefits of TTP membership pending adjudication of their renewal applications, absent the discovery of disqualifying information.

We thank the Court for its attention to this matter.

Respectfully submitted,

AUDREY STRAUSS
Acting United States Attorney

*There are 50 TTP applications that were submitted by New York residents or individuals with New York driver’s licenses that CBP is unable to restore. These applications were likely submitted in hard copy. Restoration of these applications therefore requires applicants to create a new account using the current online system. On October 5, 2020, CBP contacted each of these individuals by phone, provided them with instructions for setting up a new account, and advised them that their applications would be restored once their new accounts were created.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 9:21 pm

Judge rules against DHS in Global Entry case after department admitted to false statements
A federal judge ruled on Tuesday against the Department of Homeland Security, finding that the department acted unlawfully earlier this year when it banned New York residents from Trusted Traveler Programs like Global Entry.

The department "undermined" the core values of the Administrative Procedure Act and made matters worse by "repeating their misleading, if not false, representations," District Judge Jesse Furman wrote in a scathing decision.

The judge, however, acknowledged that the ruling is "somewhat of an empty gesture," since the ban was already rescinded. Nonetheless, Furman concluded that "at a minimum," DHS' decision should be declared unlawful to ensure that it cannot be reinstated.

The judge also took aim at Wolf's status, writing: "DHS's decision (the 'TTP Decision') was announced in a February 5, 2020 letter authored by Defendant Chad Wolf, purportedly the Acting Secretary of Homeland Security."

The court uses the word "purportedly" because there is "some doubt whether Wolf was then (and is now) lawfully exercising the authority of Acting Secretary of Homeland Security," according to the ruling.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:50 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking Amusing Update

Originally Posted by Skitsnygg
I live in NY. Applied last week and received the credit two days later. If you didn't get this resolved yet I'd definitely stay on them.
You got a $100 reimbursement.

The state of NY got a $115,000 reimbursement:

STIPULATION AND ORDER OF SETTLEMENT AND DISMISSAL:
NOW, THEREFORE, the parties stipulate and agree as follows:
. . .
2. The government shall pay to New York the sum of one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars ($115,000.00) within sixty (60) days of the Court's approval of this stipulation. This payment shall constitute full and final satisfaction of any and all claims by New York arising from this litigation, including claims for attorney's fees, litigation costs, and/or any monetary and non-monetary sanctions, and is inclusive of any interest. Payment shall be made by electronic funds transfer, and counsel for New York will provide the necessary information for the government to effectuate the transfer.
. . .
SO ORDERED.
/s/ Jesse M. Furman, USDJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.