Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
No, there’s no opt-in possibility here. Without access to all of New York’s DMV info, DHS can’t determine if an applicant from Arkansas has a N.Y. driver license she didn’t disclose.
Then how is DHS going to screen residents of Arkansas? GE should be shut down nationwide if your point is valid.

NY doesn't generally allow a person to have a DL issued by NY and a DL issued by another state. I have no idea if this is actively checked.

The release could be worded to allow DHS screening of DL info from all states.

I'd be surprised if DHS would accept a compromise which restricted access to persons applying for GE.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Why did New York go through with this mess when California already set an example of how to issue drivers licenses (permits, but same idea) to illegal immigrants without making the DHS too angry.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

For the second time today, please let me remind you that there is a very fine line between border security discussion and political debate and it is on the verge of being crossed.

Please do not go there!

Political discussions belong in OMNI/PR (access to OMNI is restricted to members who have been on FlyerTalk for 180 days and have posted 180 contributivemessages).

Yes, I understand that those of you who are not OMNI qualified are frustrated by not being able to discuss the political motivation of both the administration and the state of New York, and the ramification of it all; however, this has been our practice for almost as long as FlyerTalk has existed.

Posts of a political nature will be summarily deleted without further notice.

If you see political commentary in this thread, please do not respond, alert the moderator by clicking on the exclamation mark symbol in the red triangle on the left side of the post.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:43 pm

From NBC news
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lment-n1132676

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that the state will sue the Trump administration over its decision to bar New Yorkers from enrolling in Global Entry and other programs that allow travelers to pass quickly through airport security and customs.

"It's an abuse of power. It's extortion. It is hurting New Yorkers to advance their political agenda and we're going to fight back," Cuomo, a Democrat, said at a news conference.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:47 am

Will this speed up conditional approvals for people from other states? (sorry NY residents)
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lewisc
I thought New York would race to court on Thursday to seek a TRO, but that’s moot now, since all pending apps from New York reportedly were canceled on Thursday or Friday. It’s unclear what a judge could even do here. Even if forced to accept applications from New Yorkers, it seems like DHS could just let them languish in a pending state.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by googs185
Will this speed up conditional approvals for people from other states? (sorry NY residents)
I would have to assume it may help some get out of pending review status sooner than would otherwise be the case .... speaking here of GE applicants who aren’t NY residents.

It may speed up the access to enrollment offices and EOA in and around NY for those who are conditionally approved.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum for life
Downgrade Global Entry to TSA Precheck?

I'm among the lucky few who had a renewal canceled because of the NY state issue. As I no longer travel international as much and TSA Precheck seems to still be available to NY residents, I'd like to renew only the TSA PreCheck but don't see how that can be done. Anyone had success doing so? Thanks
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lpdds
I'm among the lucky few who had a renewal canceled because of the NY state issue. As I no longer travel international as much and TSA Precheck seems to still be available to NY residents, I'd like to renew only the TSA PreCheck but don't see how that can be done. Anyone had success doing so? Thanks
Believe you will need to file a new TSA PRE application. Strictly speaking, a GE renewal isn’t also a TSA PRE renewal.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lpdds
Can you apply for just PreCheck? I know that's a pain, but if it's connected to GE it would seem that this could be the only way to go.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:47 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
For those impacted, whatever your position, worth weighing in with our elected officials:

NYS Attorney General Letitia James (212) 364-6010

Senator Chuck Schumer (518) 431-4070

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (212) 688-6262

Governor Andrew Cuomo (518) 474-8390

Find your US Rep here: https://www.house.gov/representative...representative

Look up your State Assembly Member here: https://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
hahaha first order of business before my Thursday AM workout was emailing Schumer, Gillibrand and Cuomo.

That said, I have yet to review my pending status but for those who were cancelled on, have you:

a) gotten any emails stating your Conditional Approval was already cancelled? and

b) already tried disputing the charge on your credit cards yet?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Disputing the charge makes no sense. DHS already announced refunds are forthcoming.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I thought New York would race to court on Thursday to seek a TRO, but that’s moot now, since all pending apps from New York reportedly were canceled on Thursday or Friday. It’s unclear what a judge could even do here. Even if forced to accept applications from New Yorkers, it seems like DHS could just let them languish in a pending state.
If there were a violation of the law, then from a remedies perspective, presumably the court could order CBP to reinstate the pending applications and treat them the same as other pending applications.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yes, it’s still possible for many to apply for just PreCheck, even for many who are resident in NY.

Originally Posted by miles4CDG
For those impacted, whatever your position, worth weighing in with our elected officials:

NYS Attorney General Letitia James (212) 364-6010

Senator Chuck Schumer (518) 431-4070

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (212) 688-6262
I
Governor Andrew Cuomo (518) 474-8390

Find your US Rep here: https://www.house.gov/representative...representative

Look up your State Assembly Member here: https://nyassembly.gov/mem/search/
You left out the White House switchboard number. For those who call up the White House over this issue, they may get the call routed to tally the numbers from the calls received on an issue.
miles4CDG likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.