Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Ontario ended the Enhanced DL program all together last June. I wonder how long other EDLs will continue. The EDL is a bilateral collaboration between US and Canada as far as I recall.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
That's completely irrelevant. My wife has GE and is a US LPR (which did require some sort of background check but not a check of foreign DMV records). And, if she got a DUI in a foreign country after becoming a US LPR, DHS would never have known about that, and there was no additional information requested from foreign countries required for GE approval.
I don’t understand. A permanent resident can get a driver’s license already and with a GE application DHS would have access to the same records as when a citizen applies.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rrgg
I don’t understand. A permanent resident can get a driver’s license already and with a GE application DHS would have access to the same records as when a citizen applies.
Except she didn't have a valid US state DL at the time she applied. So no (US) DMV records. Which means DMV records are not even necessary for this, and shouldn't even be used, period. All DMV records on her would have resided in a foreign database, which DHS did not query.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Except she didn't have a valid US state DL at the time she applied. So no (US) DMV records. Which means DMV records are not even necessary for this, and shouldn't even be used, period. All DMV records on her would have resided in a foreign database, which DHS did not query.
Because some people don’t have a driver license, DHS shouldn’t check DMV records for anyone?

It seems obvious that DMV records would and should be used, since they’re the most common form of ID used in the U.S.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:44 pm

She was eligible for a DL and so the DMV search was probably treated like a citizen without a DL.

Back to my original comment, I was really referring to non resident non citizens applying for GE. I don’t know what the background check is for that applicant but it may be different.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by maninblack
We just got word that NY residents will be prevented from applying online for GE.

Conditionally approved applicants and those in "pending risk assessment" phases will be cancelled, and refunded. Any residents who walk in for Enrollment on Arrival interviews will be told no.

Current members of NY will retain their membership until it expires.

-CBPO
Appreciate the input. Hope the info you got is accurate.

Originally Posted by toasty22
I applied almost 8 months ago, yes 8 months ago, finally got conditional approval 2 weeks ago and interview in 1.5 months from now since that was the soonest

I'm excited to get my refund and have to reapply and wait another 8 months.....NOT
here are you getting the sense you’ll be able to reapply?? Wishful thoughts?

Wisdom would say the DHS holds off any changes to pending interviews instead of outright canceling pending further exploration of the issue. Screw them. I wouldn’t reapply.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Because some people don’t have a driver license, DHS shouldn’t check DMV records for anyone?

It seems obvious that DMV records would and should be used, since they’re the most common form of ID used in the U.S.
DMV records should only be used for anything related to motor vehicles. The DMV database is NOT a criminal database and if you are actually convicted of a serious crime, it would show up in other places. GE interview officers confirmed (when I had my interview) that they don't care about traffic infractions, because I disclosed that I had been convicted of speeding and the officer said it was a non issue.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:53 pm
Suspended

DMV records should only be used for anything related to motor vehicles. The DMV database is NOT a criminal database and if you are actually convicted of a serious crime, it would show up in other places. GE interview officers confirmed (when I had my interview) that they don't care about traffic infractions, because I disclosed that I had been convicted of speeding and the officer said it was a non issue.
If you’re tasked with verifying the IDs of tens of millions of people, why would you exclude/ignore the largest collective source of ID info? Makes no sense at all.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nyc_eagles
How do you even get a refund?

Great that my kid can’t get GE now after waiting months for her to get approved. I’m going to charge back mine and my wife’s GE too because we won’t be able to use it.
That’s ... not how this works.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:15 pm

If you’re tasked with verifying the IDs of tens of millions of people, why would you exclude/ignore the largest collective source of ID info? Makes no sense at all.
You mean Google? Probably because you have no access to it, and the people that hold it won't give it up without court orders and demonstration of a need to know.

DHS looks at criminal records, as indicated by their questionnaire. Traffic infractions and stuff like that are irrelevant. What are they going to find in there, that you had outstanding parking tickets? They don't care about such things anyway.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:19 pm
Suspended

You mean Google? Probably because you have no access to it, and the people that hold it won't give it up without court orders and demonstration of a need to know.

DHS looks at criminal records, as indicated by their questionnaire. Traffic infractions and stuff like that are irrelevant. What are they going to find in there, that you had outstanding parking tickets? They don't care about such things anyway.
You realize the first part of the process is a basic ID verification and background check, right?

By your logic, it should be illegal for a bank to ask for your driver license when cashing a check. (There’s also no way Google is a better or faster source of ID verification for the average adult American than the state DMVs.)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:22 pm

People applying for Global Entry have a passport. Passports are a better form of ID then a drivers license.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewisc
People applying for Global Entry have a passport. Passports are a better form of ID then a drivers license.
The point isn’t which is better. The point is that multiple forms of ID yield a higher confidence factor for purposes of ID verification than one form of ID.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:20 pm

This may be a stupid question -
I technically still have a non-NY state license. I'm curious whether they base NY residency on your current address (since the application asks for address history), or is it based on the state ID info you provide? It's probably the former, but would be nice if it was the latter.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aimango
This may be a stupid question -
I technically still have a non-NY state license. I'm curious whether they base NY residency on your current address (since the application asks for address history), or is it based on the state ID info you provide? It's probably the former, but would be nice if it was the latter.
Believe it’s current address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.