Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aimango
This may be a stupid question -
I technically still have a non-NY state license. I'm curious whether they base NY residency on your current address (since the application asks for address history), or is it based on the state ID info you provide? It's probably the former, but would be nice if it was the latter.
Pretty sure its current address because they specifically ask for documentation to verify where you currently live.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You realize the first part of the process is a basic ID verification and background check, right?

By your logic, it should be illegal for a bank to ask for your driver license when cashing a check. (There’s also no way Google is a better or faster source of ID verification for the average adult American than the state DMVs.)
Banks can ask people to show ID for cashing a check but it's not necessarily be a driver license.
People can show State ID, ID NYC(in NYC), Passport (US or issued by other country), Passport Card....etc....
Driver's License has nothing to do with can you open a bank account nor can you deposit or not.
Plus, you can do mobile deposit with most banks.
Basic ID verification does not need a driver's license. You can verify with State ID, Passport (US or issued by other country), and Passport Card.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by rrgg
Do you know what information those countries must give DHS? Maybe there’s additional vetting we don’t know about.
For example:
If a Taiwanese wants to apply for Global Entry, this person needs:
1. Republic of China (Taiwan) passport.
2. National ID card or Driver's license
3. Police Criminal Record Certificate

DL is an option and not a requirement.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
You realize the first part of the process is a basic ID verification and background check, right?
At my bank, I can give them a passport, driver's license, Global Entry card, or my debit card + PIN. All are acceptable forms of ID.

By your logic, it should be illegal for a bank to ask for your driver license when cashing a check.
Not illegal to ask, but I'd be pretty pissed if they required it. I can give them any form of acceptable ID, and a driver's license is just one of many. And they're not going to ask me for a DL if they can verify my identity in another way.

(There’s also no way Google is a better or faster source of ID verification for the average adult American than the state DMVs.)
You're kidding right?

Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
My conditioanlly-approved renewal application was cancelled because I had a NY address.

I can use a MA address and get mail there. Does anyone think I'll be ok if I change the address and reapply?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Nope. I didn’t see anything in there in that even attempts to refute the claims from DHS.

Sadly, not even fighting for its own state residents ... not even a sign to do that.

I’d like to see how the state is going to fight back, and not just blah blah ...
A321neo likes this.

Last edited by LHSEN; Feb 6, 2020 at 11:46 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:13 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Spoke to a friend this morning who runs a small financial business. He's looking to move his business outside NY so he and his employees can renew.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:50 am

That’s ... not how this works.
I think a CC company will take your side when a vendor doesn’t hold up its end of the bargain. You buy a product (that’s what GE is) and then they change the rules on you part way through your membership and make it impossible for you to use it. Is your 1 year old kid going to clear customs on his/her own?

My fees were refunded by Amex, so I don’t really care. But for someone who paid out of pocket for this, I’d be livid.
miles4CDG likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Exactly how “residency” is determined? Any definitive answer on this ? It will help some members here for sure if this is understood.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:14 am

<redacted by moderator>

NYS should allow people to opt in to allow DHS to be able to see their record.

In NH you can opt out if having some information saved by the state but it impacts certain abilities such as online license renewal.

I would suspect the opt in solution would be the easiest solution here.

There were some states who even held out on Real ID such as Maine. They eventually surrendered because of the hassle it created. DHS is going to keep this policy and then hopefully it changes after Nov...

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 7, 2020 at 8:35 am Reason: Political commentary belongs in OMNI/PR (access is limited to members who've been on FT for 180 days & posted 180 messages)
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
US DHS isn’t doing this because it wants NY to surrender NY’s data of people who are GE applicants. DHS is doing this because it wants NY to give up NY’s data about everyone to whom NY has issued ID in recent years — even the data about those who aren’t and won’t be GE applicants.

Don’t count on applicant opt-in flying with DHS. even if NY were allowing that to happen. DHS wants it all, not just from/for GE applicants.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
There's finally been some communication from DHS (https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/02/06/...nt-cbp-trusted) to the country as a whole, and not just the small subset who watch Fox News Opinion programming.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The federal government has other states as targets after NY.

My suggestion to those Americans who are interested in having GE membership and are currently potential (new or renewal) GE applicants resident in other states: hurry up and get the application done before they also come after your state in the way they have come after NY; or save the money and don’t apply for GE unless and until after it becomes clear what happens with NY; and if you’re already conditionally approved and not a NY-resident, best of luck with finalizing your application with the interview as soon as possible.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
US DHS isn’t doing this because it wants NY to surrender NY’s data of people who are GE applicants. DHS is doing this because it wants NY to give up NY’s data about everyone to whom NY has issued ID in recent years — even the data about those who aren’t and won’t be GE applicants.

Don’t count on applicant opt-in flying with DHS. even if NY were allowing that to happen. DHS wants it all, not just from/for GE applicants.
BINGO!

Originally Posted by A321neo
My conditioanlly-approved renewal application was cancelled because I had a NY address.

I can use a MA address and get mail there. Does anyone think I'll be ok if I change the address and reapply?
Which state database has all your information - NY or MA? DHS is going to go looking for that information and if they can't find anything, I doubt if you'd be able to enroll.

~~

ETA: I heard last night that DHS could extend this to PreCheck enrollees as well.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 7, 2020 at 8:21 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Spoke to a friend this morning who runs a small financial business. He's looking to move his business outside NY so he and his employees can renew.
This is based on residency of the individual applicant and no other factor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.