Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How many terrorist has TSA found to date?
SSI.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: January 29th - February 4th

EXTRA! EXTRA! Get your guns and knives right here! EXTRA! EXTRA!

• 62 firearms were discovered last week in carry-on bags
  • A cane sword was discovered in a passenger’s carry-on property at Philadelphia (PHL)
  • Knives were discovered at ITO, BUF, ORD. ORD and DAL

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/02/tsa-week...uary-29th.html
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
EXTRA! EXTRA! Get your guns and knives right here! EXTRA! EXTRA!

• 62 firearms were discovered last week in carry-on bags
  • A cane sword was discovered in a passenger’s carry-on property at Philadelphia (PHL)
  • Knives were discovered at ITO, BUF, ORD. ORD and DAL

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/02/tsa-week...uary-29th.html

And Bobbie even posted the Friday recap before Tuesday!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review:February 5 - 11

Maybe the wireless mouse drug mule needed a shave?

• 51 firearms were discovered last week in carry-on bags
  • 3 inert grenades (1 at PHX & 2 at FLL) were discovered
  • Two artfully concealed razors were discovered (one tucked into a hatband & a straight razor was detected in a shoe) the same day at LaGuardia (LGA) on two different passengers.
  • A small bag of cocaine was discovered concealed in the battery compartment of a wireless mouse at Charlotte (CLT).
  • A pen knife was discovered in carry-on bag at Oakland (OAK).
  • A mini-pistol crossbow in their carry-on bag at Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP)
  • Saw blades and knives were discovered at ATL, AUS, AUS, CHO, EWR, and EWR

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/02/tsa-week...uary-5-11.html
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe the wireless mouse drug mule needed a shave?

• 51 firearms were discovered last week in carry-on bags
  • 3 inert grenades (1 at PHX & 2 at FLL) were discovered
  • Two artfully concealed razors were discovered (one tucked into a hatband & a straight razor was detected in a shoe) the same day at LaGuardia (LGA) on two different passengers.
  • A small bag of cocaine was discovered concealed in the battery compartment of a wireless mouse at Charlotte (CLT).
  • A pen knife was discovered in carry-on bag at Oakland (OAK).
  • A mini-pistol crossbow in their carry-on bag at Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP)
  • Saw blades and knives were discovered at ATL, AUS, AUS, CHO, EWR, and EWR

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/02/tsa-week...uary-5-11.html
I don't condone illegal drug use or the trafficking of drugs but I will never believe that finding a small quantity of cocaine in a computer mouse was anything but an illegal targeted search for drugs by TSA.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:29 am

I don't condone illegal drug use or the trafficking of drugs but I will never believe that finding a small quantity of cocaine in a computer mouse was anything but an illegal targeted search for drugs by TSA.
100% agree.

You can be sure there were hi fives and attaboys handed out.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking the same thing. How can a plastic bag of dry powder the size of an AA battery possibly require a WEI check?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I was thinking the same thing. How can a plastic bag of dry powder the size of an AA battery possibly require a WEI check?
A battery has a unique appearance on xray. I am not surprised AT ALL that TSA looks at large blocks of dense battery innards very carefully. Yes an AA is small, btu they are trained to look at batteries- AND when something is off, flag it.

A 'fake battery', perhaps that unscrews, or just something in the compartment, will look odd on xray. The same item, tossed into a toilet kit, or a knick knacks bag, would have aroused no suspicion.

But, once they say "yup. cocaine", they then held the person in custody until a LEO could arrive. It is my understanding that just possessing suspected drugs is in and of itself a 'security risk', which is how they get away with this.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
A battery has a unique appearance on xray. I am not surprised AT ALL that TSA looks at large blocks of dense battery innards very carefully. Yes an AA is small, btu they are trained to look at batteries- AND when something is off, flag it.

A 'fake battery', perhaps that unscrews, or just something in the compartment, will look odd on xray. The same item, tossed into a toilet kit, or a knick knacks bag, would have aroused no suspicion.

But, once they say "yup. cocaine", they then held the person in custody until a LEO could arrive. It is my understanding that just possessing suspected drugs is in and of itself a 'security risk', which is how they get away with this.
They can't legally say "yup, cocaine" because they have not been trained to ID it. It's not cocaine until it's tested positive and that testing is done by LE, not the TSA.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
They can't legally say "yup, cocaine" because they have not been trained to ID it. It's not cocaine until it's tested positive and that testing is done by LE, not the TSA.
Seems the only way a TSA screener would know if something is an illegal drug is by having had illegal contact with those drugs.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The TSA claims they're not supposed to search for drugs.

But it just happens that drugs look like explosives to the xray machines.

Yeah, right.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: TSA
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat

This is actually pretty close to the answer. When there is something that looks different (such an organic where one is not normally found), it is searched to make certain it is not a threat item.

Cocaine does not necessarily pose a security risk, but TSOs are obliged to contact local LEOs when they find items that appear to be illegal items (like marijuana or cocaine).

Seems the only way a TSA screener would know if something is an illegal drug is by having had illegal contact with those drugs.
Not quite. There are several other ways that TSOs and any number of citizens can be familiarized with different types of illicit drugs - many of them legal.

Originally Posted by sethb
The TSA claims they're not supposed to search for drugs.

But it just happens that drugs look like explosives to the xray machines.

Yeah, right.
In some cases, that is exactly what happens. Large organic items trigger bag checks. In some cases, small organic items trigger bag checks.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by gsoltso
This is actually pretty close to the answer. When there is something that looks different (such an organic where one is not normally found), it is searched to make certain it is not a threat item.

Cocaine does not necessarily pose a security risk, but TSOs are obliged to contact local LEOs when they find items that appear to be illegal items (like marijuana or cocaine).
Do you agree that TSA screeners are not allowed a fishing expedition to find drugs?

Not quite. There are several other ways that TSOs and any number of citizens can be familiarized with different types of illicit drugs - many of them legal.
Are TSA screeners trained in illegal drug identification?

In some cases, that is exactly what happens. Large organic items trigger bag checks. In some cases, small organic items trigger bag checks.
And in some cases TSA screeners search for non-WEI.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:42 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: February 12 - 18

Anyone need a shave?

• 53 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Two inert mortar shells were discovered in a checked bag at Longview (GGG).
  • A cane sword was discovered in a traveler’s carry-on property at Pensacola (PNS).
  • Marijuana, a metal pipe, a spoon, a lighter and a hair clip was discovered in a shaving cream can with a false bottom in a cry-on bag at Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Various knives and a sword were discovered at LAS, AUS, AUS, IAH, PHX, IAH and TYR.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/02/tsa-week...ary-12-18.html
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:28 am

Anyone need a shave?
What a stoner.... that can looks to be approx 8" tall. Which equates to their 8oz container... definitely not 3.7oz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.