Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

And away we go with a new year of baloney sandwiches....and one shock absorber

TSA Week in Review: January 1–7
  • 37 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Two canisters of black powder were discovered in a checked bag at Oakland (OAK), and a one-pound bottle of gunpowder was discovered in a checked bag at Cincinnati (CVG)
  • Two live smoke grenades and ammunition were detected in a checked bag at San Diego (SAN)
  • A gas-powered chain saw emitting fuel vapors was discovered in a checked bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
  • A four-inch knife was detected in the right thigh area of a traveler during advanced imaging screening at Boston (BOS).
  • A used gas-powered automotive shock absorber was detected in a checked bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • 19 knives were discovered in a traveler's carry-on bag at IAH and various other knives were discovered in carry-on bags at BNA, MSO, SAN DAL, GDK, BDL, SJU and BNA.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...der-smoke.html
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:59 pm

Well, it just goes to show that we air travellers are getting smarter about having "contraband" in our carry-on bags (with the exception of firearms, knives, and the pocket knife discovered in the traveller's <**GASP**> pocket ). At least now we are smart enough to realize that the truely dangerous stuff like power tools, smoke grenades and shock absorbers should be checked... !
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
How many Terry Wrists were discovered last week?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How many Terry Wrists were discovered last week?
Just as many as they have discovered every week previous.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Just as many as they have discovered every week previous.
I think you mean years, right?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
No, Friendly Skies ask how many Terry Wrist found last week so I answered using the same time unit.

We all know that 52 weeks in every year that TSA has infested our airports totals the number of years that Terry Wrist have alluded TSA.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:25 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: January 8-14, 2016

So was it an A, B or C cup knife <ducking>

• 46 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • An inert grenade was detected in a carry-on bag this week at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • A 3-inch folding knife was discovered in a Nashville (BNA) traveler’s bra after being screening with advanced imaging technology.
  • Throwing stars and knives were discovered at DAL, MEM, BOI, MEM and LAS
  • 9mm rounds were discovered in a carry-on bag at EWN.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...uary-8-14.html
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Quote:

No, Friendly Skies ask how many Terry Wrist found last week so I answered using the same time unit.

We all know that 52 weeks in every year that TSA has infested our airports totals the number of years that Terry Wrist have alluded TSA.
With 2016 being a leap year, the TSA clerks have one more whole day to catch a terrorist. They are on notice that we are expecting results!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
So was it an A, B or C cup knife <ducking>

• 46 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • An inert grenade was detected in a carry-on bag this week at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • A 3-inch folding knife was discovered in a Nashville (BNA) traveler’s bra after being screening with advanced imaging technology.
  • Throwing stars and knives were discovered at DAL, MEM, BOI, MEM and LAS
  • 9mm rounds were discovered in a carry-on bag at EWN.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...uary-8-14.html
(bolding mine)

Unless it was a very unusual knife indeed (ceramic?), the WMD or a hand-wand would also have detected the knife hidden in the bra. I'm guessing that it was a metal knife or TSA would have used the occasion to point out the (alleged) superiority of the NoS.

Every time I see 'inert grenade', I assume it's a bottle of expensive perfume and some TSO just got lucky.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
(bolding mine)

Unless it was a very unusual knife indeed (ceramic?), the WMD or a hand-wand would also have detected the knife hidden in the bra. I'm guessing that it was a metal knife or TSA would have used the occasion to point out the (alleged) superiority of the NoS.

Every time I see 'inert grenade', I assume it's a bottle of expensive perfume and some TSO just got lucky.
Lots of metal on that knife.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: January 15 - 21

Nothing to see here, please move along....

• 51 firearms were discovered last week in carry-on bags
  • Knives were discovered in carry-on bags at PVD, ORD and PHX

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...ary-15-21.html
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
A[*]A used gas-powered automotive shock absorber was detected in a checked bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
What is a gas powered automotive shock absorber?

I have gas filled shocks, and even gas filled Moton two way adjustable shocks with remote canisters. But never heard of a "gas POWERED shock"

Image looks like an Arnot AS2246, which is a Mercedes air suspension system- it is only pressurized when connected in the car. Id guess that they saw the warning label (which is on the product prior to being placed in the car) and just confiscated it. $500 item, gone.

I feel safer.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
What is a gas powered automotive shock absorber?

I have gas filled shocks, and even gas filled Moton two way adjustable shocks with remote canisters. But never heard of a "gas POWERED shock"

Image looks like an Arnot AS2246, which is a Mercedes air suspension system- it is only pressurized when connected in the car. Id guess that they saw the warning label (which is on the product prior to being placed in the car) and just confiscated it. $500 item, gone.

I feel safer.
Tis what happens when the poorly trained attempt easy tasks.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:59 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: January 22 - 28

BREAKING NEWS: No bear repellant was found this week but remember kids, nevah evan poke the bayah

• 38 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Three inert grenades were discovered this week-two were found in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL) & Albuquerque (ALB) and one was found in a checked bag at Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Various knives and throwing stars were discovered at JFK, DTW, DAL, BWI, BOI, BWI, DTW, PHX, ORD and SJC

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...ary-22-28.html
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BREAKING NEWS: No bear repellant was found this week but remember kids, nevah evan poke the bayah

• 38 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Three inert grenades were discovered this week-two were found in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL) & Albuquerque (ALB) and one was found in a checked bag at Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Various knives and throwing stars were discovered at JFK, DTW, DAL, BWI, BOI, BWI, DTW, PHX, ORD and SJC

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...ary-22-28.html
How many terrorist has TSA found to date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.