Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

[QUOTE=Boggie Dog;26215885]
And in some cases TSA screeners search for non-WEI.
You mean like when they are counting the bills in a wallet or reading through personal or business papers?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: TSA
[QUOTE=Boggie Dog;26215885]

Do you agree that TSA screeners are not allowed a fishing expedition to find drugs?

Are TSA screeners trained in illegal drug identification?

And in some cases TSA screeners search for non-WEI.
I do.

I am not certain, I do not know all TSOs.

At least in one case that went to court.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=gsoltso;26236827]
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

I do.

I am not certain, I do not know all TSOs.

At least in one case that went to court.
Ok, less make this very clear and simple. Does TSA train screeners in illegal drug identification?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gsoltso
This is actually pretty close to the answer. When there is something that looks different (such an organic where one is not normally found), it is searched to make certain it is not a threat item.

Cocaine does not necessarily pose a security risk, but TSOs are obliged to contact local LEOs when they find items that appear to be illegal items (like marijuana or cocaine).

Not quite. There are several other ways that TSOs and any number of citizens can be familiarized with different types of illicit drugs - many of them legal.

In some cases, that is exactly what happens. Large organic items trigger bag checks. In some cases, small organic items trigger bag checks.
It's one thing when (e.g.) a large piece of fig cake has a similar x-ray profile to an explosive. I've also had them claim books look suspicious (when I had a suitcase mostly full of them).

It's another when they see something strange, but not dangerous to an airplane, and search that.

But if you want to smuggle a powder drug, put it in a can marked "baby powder". Let's see the TSA call that suspicious.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by goalie
Anyone need a shave?
[*]Marijuana, a metal pipe, a spoon, a lighter and a hair clip was discovered in a shaving cream can with a false bottom in a cry-on bag at Las Vegas (LAS)
Tossing the can because it's over 3 oz is reasonable. What looked dangerous on the xray that permitted them to open the false bottom?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Tossing the can because it's over 3 oz is reasonable. What looked dangerous on the xray that permitted them to open the false bottom?
Exactly!

The cans shave cream content would have exceeded the 100ml limit. No problem with that. Going beyond that exceeds the limited Administrative Search doctrine.

For a TSA screener to tamper with a potential IED is just typical TSA stupidity.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
[QUOTE=petaluma1;26226642]

You mean like when they are counting the bills in a wallet or reading through personal or business papers?
The credit cards might conceal knife blades, the bills might test positive for drugs or exceed the $10K limit for undeclared cash on INTERNATIONAL travel, and the business papers might contain arabic characters (or Hebrew - few, if any, TSOs would know the difference).

Of course, that's all BS, and it's nothing more than harassment and bullying, conducted right in front of LTSOs, STSOs, and suits who are too busy chatting with each other and playing with their cellphones to 'see something, say something'.

Besides, does the 'authoritay' of an LTSO, STSO or suit over-ride "screener's discretion"? If a screener feels 'threatened' by a wallet full of cash and credit cards, doesn't s/he have the discretionary authority to check it out - and confiscate, if desired?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:10 pm

This is actually pretty close to the answer. When there is something that looks different (such an organic where one is not normally found), it is searched to make certain it is not a threat item.

Cocaine does not necessarily pose a security risk, but TSOs are obliged to contact local LEOs when they find items that appear to be illegal items (like marijuana or cocaine).

Not quite. There are several other ways that TSOs and any number of citizens can be familiarized with different types of illicit drugs - many of them legal.

In some cases, that is exactly what happens. Large organic items trigger bag checks. In some cases, small organic items trigger bag checks.

Is this why my nitro pills were confiscated?

Because they were a recognizable drug (in their original, clearly labelled, container), but under TSA's rules they are simultaneously illicit and legal?

If that's the case - that TSA can categorize legal drugs as 'illicit' at the checkpoint and confiscate them, shouldn't travelers be informed ahead of time?

I find absolutely nothing on the TSA website about legal drugs also being illicit and subject to confiscation at the checkpoint. Is this 'gotcha' information contained only in SSI/SOP documents unavailable to the traveling public? Or is this just GSOLTSO's 'screener discretion' definition?

I'm sure it is SSI, but I wonder what made my nitro pills, prescribed to me, in their original prescription bottles, 'illicit' and subject to confiscation?

Kind of scary to realize that not only are my nitro pills subject to confiscation, apparently any legal medication can also be deemed 'illicit' by a screener and confiscated and the public has no way of finding out about this ahead of time.

Medical consequences: some drugs can not be 'skipped' or abruptly stopped without great risk.

Financial consequences: some drugs are VERY expensive. Insurance/Medicare does not reimburse someone for legal-but-illicit drugs confiscated by TSA.

Legal consequences: try to get a replacement for some legal-but-illicit drugs confiscated by TSA, and your health care provider/pharmacist may make a note that you might be 'shopping' for excessive doses - TSA refused to give me a receipt when they confiscated my nitro pills, so I have no way to prove to the doctor/pharmacist/LE that I didn't sell the drugs to someone instead of having them confiscated by TSA or that I haven't been taking them more often than I need.

Do TSO background checks ensure that any prescription drugs carried by screeners are both legal AND licit, or is this just a hidden-from-the-public standard applied only to pax?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=chollie;26237651]
Originally Posted by petaluma1

The credit cards might conceal knife blades, the bills might test positive for drugs or exceed the $10K limit for undeclared cash on INTERNATIONAL travel, and the business papers might contain arabic characters (or Hebrew - few, if any, TSOs would know the difference).

Of course, that's all BS, and it's nothing more than harassment and bullying, conducted right in front of LTSOs, STSOs, and suits who are too busy chatting with each other and playing with their cellphones to 'see something, say something'.

Besides, does the 'authoritay' of an LTSO, STSO or suit over-ride "screener's discretion"? If a screener feels 'threatened' by a wallet full of cash and credit cards, doesn't s/he have the discretionary authority to check it out - and confiscate, if desired?
The only thing you listed above that should concern the TSA screeners is credit card knives. Money is of no concern to TSA and almost all paper money has traces of drug residue. Text of any kind should scare screeners, that is what time and time again shows how non-functional TSA is.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie

Credit cards can hold knife blades, but the metal blade will show up on the x-ray. $10K cash undeclared is illegal, but not a threat; how does a TSA goon know whether or not paperwork was filed with Customs?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Is this why my nitro pills were confiscated?

Because they were a recognizable drug (in their original, clearly labelled, container), but under TSA's rules they are simultaneously illicit and legal?

If that's the case - that TSA can categorize legal drugs as 'illicit' at the checkpoint and confiscate them, shouldn't travelers be informed ahead of time?

I find absolutely nothing on the TSA website about legal drugs also being illicit and subject to confiscation at the checkpoint. Is this 'gotcha' information contained only in SSI/SOP documents unavailable to the traveling public? Or is this just GSOLTSO's 'screener discretion' definition?

I'm sure it is SSI, but I wonder what made my nitro pills, prescribed to me, in their original prescription bottles, 'illicit' and subject to confiscation?

Kind of scary to realize that not only are my nitro pills subject to confiscation, apparently any legal medication can also be deemed 'illicit' by a screener and confiscated and the public has no way of finding out about this ahead of time.

Medical consequences: some drugs can not be 'skipped' or abruptly stopped without great risk.

Financial consequences: some drugs are VERY expensive. Insurance/Medicare does not reimburse someone for legal-but-illicit drugs confiscated by TSA.

Legal consequences: try to get a replacement for some legal-but-illicit drugs confiscated by TSA, and your health care provider/pharmacist may make a note that you might be 'shopping' for excessive doses - TSA refused to give me a receipt when they confiscated my nitro pills, so I have no way to prove to the doctor/pharmacist/LE that I didn't sell the drugs to someone instead of having them confiscated by TSA or that I haven't been taking them more often than I need.

Do TSO background checks ensure that any prescription drugs carried by screeners are both legal AND licit, or is this just a hidden-from-the-public standard applied only to pax?
I think if the TSA tried to confiscate any of my prescription drugs, my next phone call would be to the DEA to have the fool arrested for illicit possession of said drugs without a prescription.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:22 am

Credit cards can hold knife blades, but the metal blade will show up on the x-ray. $10K cash undeclared is illegal, but not a threat; how does a TSA goon know whether or not paperwork was filed with Customs?
The only way TSA will know if you have the appropriate paperwork is by investigating your papers.

The only way TSA will know if you are carrying >$10K is by counting it out.

Why this would be done when someone is on a domestic flight beats me - 'screener discretion', I guess.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:25 am

I think if the TSA tried to confiscate any of my prescription drugs, my next phone call would be to the DEA to have the fool arrested for illicit possession of said drugs without a prescription.
At the very least, when 'legal but illicit' drugs like my nitro are confiscated at the checkpoint, the pax should be given a receipt.

I'm sure that TSOs are given 'chain-of-evidence' preservation. Wouldn't want any dangerous meds to 'accidentally' end up in the wrong hands or mouths, now would we?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: TSA TSO
[QUOTE=Boggie Dog;26237081]

Ok, less make this very clear and simple. Does TSA train screeners in illegal drug identification?
No. But green, leafy substance or white, powdery substance wrapped in brick form is pretty suspicious to me and that's someone who's never touched drugs.

Plus, no to mention, most drug addicts usually get themselves caught at checkpoints because they usually have something on them in their pants and refuse to divest (just like US v. Aukai) when it's caught on say an AIT pat-down and that usually leads to LEOs being called.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=LoganTSO;26241840]

No. But green, leafy substance or white, powdery substance wrapped in brick form is pretty suspicious to me and that's someone who's never touched drugs.

Plus, no to mention, most drug addicts usually get themselves caught at checkpoints because they usually have something on them in their pants and refuse to divest (just like US v. Aukai) when it's caught on say an AIT pat-down and that usually leads to LEOs being called.
Unfortunately, I agree with you. Most people documented as being caught with drugs at a checkpoint have no intention of a Constitutional fight. They just want their drugs. Their lawyers try to get them off to get them off, not to challenge these illegal TSA drug busts on 4th Amendment grounds.

The way to get our Constitution back is to construct a very well-thought out "sting" on the TSA clerks under very controlled conditions at a checkpoint where the only way the drugs are discovered is through an illegal search. Then, you have to hope that the TSA clerk actually finds the planted drugs and that he calls over an actual cop who arrests the "victim" using the illegally-obtained evidence as his only probably cause. Then, you have to hope that the "victim" is actually prosecuted. Then, you have to do this at an airport in the district of a Constitution-loving judge.

You know? An easier way would be for Congress to simply give us our Constitution back. Or, a President with a phone and a pen could simply issue an executive order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.