Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

Old Jan 11, 16, 1:53 pm
  #1  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,557
This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2016

And away we go with a new year of baloney sandwiches....and one shock absorber

TSA Week in Review: January 1–7
  • 37 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Two canisters of black powder were discovered in a checked bag at Oakland (OAK), and a one-pound bottle of gunpowder was discovered in a checked bag at Cincinnati (CVG)
  • Two live smoke grenades and ammunition were detected in a checked bag at San Diego (SAN)
  • A gas-powered chain saw emitting fuel vapors was discovered in a checked bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
  • A four-inch knife was detected in the right thigh area of a traveler during advanced imaging screening at Boston (BOS).
  • A used gas-powered automotive shock absorber was detected in a checked bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • 19 knives were discovered in a traveler's carry-on bag at IAH and various other knives were discovered in carry-on bags at BNA, MSO, SAN DAL, GDK, BDL, SJU and BNA.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...der-smoke.html
goalie is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 4:59 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 959
Well, it just goes to show that we air travellers are getting smarter about having "contraband" in our carry-on bags (with the exception of firearms, knives, and the pocket knife discovered in the traveller's <**GASP**> pocket ). At least now we are smart enough to realize that the truely dangerous stuff like power tools, smoke grenades and shock absorbers should be checked... !
DeafBlonde is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 9:55 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas City Metro | MCI
Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,259
How many Terry Wrists were discovered last week?
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 10:09 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,871
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
How many Terry Wrists were discovered last week?
Just as many as they have discovered every week previous.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Jan 11, 16, 11:08 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,557
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Just as many as they have discovered every week previous.
I think you mean years, right?
goalie is offline  
Old Jan 11, 16, 11:34 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,871
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
I think you mean years, right?
No, Friendly Skies ask how many Terry Wrist found last week so I answered using the same time unit.

We all know that 52 weeks in every year that TSA has infested our airports totals the number of years that Terry Wrist have alluded TSA.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:25 pm
  #7  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,557
TSA Week in Review: January 8-14, 2016

So was it an A, B or C cup knife <ducking>

  • 46 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • An inert grenade was detected in a carry-on bag this week at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • A 3-inch folding knife was discovered in a Nashville (BNA) traveler’s bra after being screening with advanced imaging technology.
  • Throwing stars and knives were discovered at DAL, MEM, BOI, MEM and LAS
  • 9mm rounds were discovered in a carry-on bag at EWN.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...uary-8-14.html
goalie is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:28 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 13,608
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by goalie


I think you mean years, right?




No, Friendly Skies ask how many Terry Wrist found last week so I answered using the same time unit.

We all know that 52 weeks in every year that TSA has infested our airports totals the number of years that Terry Wrist have alluded TSA.
With 2016 being a leap year, the TSA clerks have one more whole day to catch a terrorist. They are on notice that we are expecting results!
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Jan 18, 16, 12:48 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 32,726
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
So was it an A, B or C cup knife <ducking>

  • 46 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • An inert grenade was detected in a carry-on bag this week at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • A 3-inch folding knife was discovered in a Nashville (BNA) traveler’s bra after being screening with advanced imaging technology.
  • Throwing stars and knives were discovered at DAL, MEM, BOI, MEM and LAS
  • 9mm rounds were discovered in a carry-on bag at EWN.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...uary-8-14.html
(bolding mine)

Unless it was a very unusual knife indeed (ceramic?), the WMD or a hand-wand would also have detected the knife hidden in the bra. I'm guessing that it was a metal knife or TSA would have used the occasion to point out the (alleged) superiority of the NoS.

Every time I see 'inert grenade', I assume it's a bottle of expensive perfume and some TSO just got lucky.
chollie is online now  
Old Jan 18, 16, 1:21 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,516
Originally Posted by chollie View Post
(bolding mine)

Unless it was a very unusual knife indeed (ceramic?), the WMD or a hand-wand would also have detected the knife hidden in the bra. I'm guessing that it was a metal knife or TSA would have used the occasion to point out the (alleged) superiority of the NoS.

Every time I see 'inert grenade', I assume it's a bottle of expensive perfume and some TSO just got lucky.
Lots of metal on that knife.
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:20 am
  #11  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,557
TSA Week in Review: January 15 - 21

Nothing to see here, please move along....

  • 51 firearms were discovered last week in carry-on bags
  • Knives were discovered in carry-on bags at PVD, ORD and PHX

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...ary-15-21.html
goalie is offline  
Old Jan 29, 16, 4:53 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Posts: 3,443
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
A[*]A used gas-powered automotive shock absorber was detected in a checked bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
What is a gas powered automotive shock absorber?

I have gas filled shocks, and even gas filled Moton two way adjustable shocks with remote canisters. But never heard of a "gas POWERED shock"

Image looks like an Arnot AS2246, which is a Mercedes air suspension system- it is only pressurized when connected in the car. Id guess that they saw the warning label (which is on the product prior to being placed in the car) and just confiscated it. $500 item, gone.

I feel safer.
Exec_Plat is offline  
Old Jan 29, 16, 5:25 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,871
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat View Post
What is a gas powered automotive shock absorber?

I have gas filled shocks, and even gas filled Moton two way adjustable shocks with remote canisters. But never heard of a "gas POWERED shock"

Image looks like an Arnot AS2246, which is a Mercedes air suspension system- it is only pressurized when connected in the car. Id guess that they saw the warning label (which is on the product prior to being placed in the car) and just confiscated it. $500 item, gone.

I feel safer.
Tis what happens when the poorly trained attempt easy tasks.
Boggie Dog is online now  
Old Feb 1, 16, 9:59 am
  #14  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,557
TSA Week in Review: January 22 - 28

BREAKING NEWS: No bear repellant was found this week but remember kids, nevah evan poke the bayah

  • 38 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Three inert grenades were discovered this week-two were found in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL) & Albuquerque (ALB) and one was found in a checked bag at Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Various knives and throwing stars were discovered at JFK, DTW, DAL, BWI, BOI, BWI, DTW, PHX, ORD and SJC

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...ary-22-28.html
goalie is offline  
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:11 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 17,871
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
BREAKING NEWS: No bear repellant was found this week but remember kids, nevah evan poke the bayah

  • 38 firearms were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Three inert grenades were discovered this week-two were found in carry-on bags at Atlanta (ATL) & Albuquerque (ALB) and one was found in a checked bag at Las Vegas (LAS)
  • Various knives and throwing stars were discovered at JFK, DTW, DAL, BWI, BOI, BWI, DTW, PHX, ORD and SJC

http://blog.tsa.gov/2016/01/tsa-week...ary-22-28.html
How many terrorist has TSA found to date?
Boggie Dog is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: