Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA going to stop allowing NOS opt-out?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
...and in the hoards of clerks who stood next to them for 8 hours per day.
I have no concern for the clerks.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Quote:

...and in the hoards of clerks who stood next to them for 8 hours per day.

I have no concern for the clerks.
Me 'neither, other than they bought the "it's safe" lie in exchange for a government paycheck.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Me 'neither, other than they bought the "it's safe" lie in exchange for a government paycheck.
Well, many servicemen ended up getting mesothelioma for working around asbestos on ships and other military installations. Sure, it's fine - just do your job.

Regardless of our personal feelings toward the clerks, it could end up being a big financial liability to the taxpayer down the road.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:15 pm

BoingBoing: TSA screener insists that full-body screening is mandatory
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't think its a question of replacing all machines but would create an opportunity to source scanners from more than one vendor. However, the current crop of machines will reach EOL at some point and will need replacing by something, either current scanners or new generation scanners. Have no doubt there is money to be made.
There are already two other vendors of MMW scanners that I'm aware of which are used in the EU: Rohde & Schwarz and Smiths. L-3 is the dominant provider though.

Notably, the Rohde & Schwarz model scans passengers standing with their arms slightly held up from their sides, and no need to assume the surrender position.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Superguy
Well, many servicemen ended up getting mesothelioma for working around asbestos on ships and other military installations. Sure, it's fine - just do your job.

Regardless of our personal feelings toward the clerks, it could end up being a big financial liability to the taxpayer down the road.
And our servicemen and women exposed to DDT and Agent Orange.

Don't forget about the cancers cause from that.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
And our servicemen and women exposed to DDT and Agent Orange.

Don't forget about the cancers cause from that.
True enough. I don't see the ambulance chasers advertising that on TV every day though, which is why the mesothilioma was on my mind.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: SouthwestRR, HawaiianMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by guflyer
A comment on a travel blog (http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....omment-4394804) from someone named Lynn states that she was told that one can no longer opt out if one is selected from Precheck.

Has anyone else found this to be the case? Based upon this, if one with precheck absolutely wants to avoid going through a body scanner, it seems that it is safer to go go through the regular lanes and opt-out there. Does anyone see any flaws with this idea? Is one with Precheck allowed to go through the regular security lanes?

Is there any way to check to see if this is the policy regarding precheck? This seems inconsistent with the idea of the no opt-out policy only being for people on watchlists or for people generally being able to opt out with the exclusion being when warranted by security situations.
This morning at LAS I had Precheck. I got the random beep after going through the WTMD and was told to come back and go through the scanner. I asked "Can I opt out?", and I was directed to remove my shoes and belt to put through the X-ray. It was just like a regular opt-out, and I did not receive any grief or hesitation when I asked to opt out.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I asked yesterday at MCI if people would still be permitted to opt-out and the two-stripe clerk said yes, with some exceptions. I probed some more, specifically asking if that meant SSSS, etc, or whether people with GE/NEXUS/SENTRI, etc. She wouldn't come out and say it wouldn't happen to those with a TT #, but her expressions made it seem like it wouldn't be a problem for people unless they had SSSS or were on some list...

We'll see what happens going forward..
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
made it seem like it wouldn't be a problem for people unless they had SSSS or were on some list..
FWIW, I did not have SSSS. It was still a problem.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
It will be interesting to see what happens to TSA haraSSSSment targets traveling alone with very young children without a stroller/car seat/carrier at the screening checkpoint.

Based on carrying young kids, such people aren't supposed to be subjected to the strip search machine; but based on TSA orders for haraSSSSment targets, such people are to be subjected to the strip-search machines.

And what happens if the type of adult, child-accompanying passenger described in the first paragraph above also happens to be a user of a wheelchair/mobility-assisting-device?

The TSA doesn't seem to consider how its own guidance to employees can run counter to its own guidance to employees. A bigger clown show being the result really shouldn't be a surprise given how the TSA "thinks".
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by saizai
FWIW, I did not have SSSS. It was still a problem.
And I still believe you were targeted, Sai. DHS/TSA is fully capable of pulling one name from a list of passengers to target.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:40 am

duplicate
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It will be interesting to see what happens to TSA haraSSSSment targets traveling alone with very young children without a stroller/car seat/carrier at the screening checkpoint.

Based on carrying young kids, such people aren't supposed to be subjected to the strip search machine; but based on TSA orders for haraSSSSment targets, such people are to be subjected to the strip-search machines.

And what happens if the type of adult, child-accompanying passenger described in the first paragraph above also happens to be a user of a wheelchair/mobility-assisting-device?

The TSA doesn't seem to consider how its own guidance to employees can run counter to its own guidance to employees. A bigger clown show being the result really shouldn't be a surprise given how the TSA "thinks".
Are you saying that TSA currently requires such individuals to leave a child alone in a seat while the individual is in the scanner? TSA keeps touting that you won't be separated from your child.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Are you saying that TSA currently requires such individuals to leave a child alone in a seat while the individual is in the scanner? TSA keeps touting that you won't be separated from your child.
What difference does it matter what TSA keeps touting?

"Screener discretion" is the only rule that matters. The same screener discretion that forced a 4-year-old handicapped child through a WTMD without his braces. The screener discretion that decided a vet amputee should remove his prosthesis and attempt to hop into and out of an NoS (in PHX, where else). The same discretion that forced a woman to use pliers to remove a breast piercing - at the checkpoint, while other male screeners stood around cracking jokes. Definitely some of TSA's finer moments.

Kind of like the cr*p about keeping your bags in your sight at all times - EXCEPT when "screener discretion" decides that you can't.

And no matter how stupid or ill-advised the measures taken are, HQ will defend "screener discretion".

Imagine, for a moment, the reaction people would have had if video footage showed a 10-year-old boy with a screener's open palm and thumb clearly pressed against his genitals, the way the screener put her hand on this little girl. I wonder if that would have gotten a bit more reaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.