Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
No he wasn't.
Nuts.

Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag
First, I don't believe TSA officers are "clerks", they do complete a very important function to us fliers. Second, to deliberately harass them is against federal regulations and is not productive or fair to them as a human being. So if you think these "clerks" serve no purpose, please tell us what you do for a living...
While I agree with you that passenger screening is not meaningless, and I also agree that deliberate harassment of TSOs is always unproductive and often unfair (at least in the case of those who conscientiously try to do their jobs without harassing travelers), I despise the whole concept of calling them "officers" and outfitting them in a pseudo-law-enforcement uniform with a badge.

Although their official job title is Transportation Security Officer (TSO), they are not, in fact, law enforcement of any kind, and have no police powers of any kind. Calling them officers is a deliberate attempt at obfuscation on the part of TSA, as is the paramilitary uniform and badge, which were implemented specifically to elicit "respect" (i.e. obedience and compliance) from the traveling public by misrepresenting TSOs as law enforcement.

In practical terms, yes, they're screening clerks. This does not denigrate the importance of their job - it keeps the importance in proper perspective. Their job is to screen passengers, nothing more. They're not cops, they're not investigators, and they're not the Thin Blue Line protecting us from the Evil Bwown Muswim Tewwowist. Nor is their job to stop drug smugglers, pedophiles, visa overstayers, fleeing spouses, or any other type of criminal. They're clerks. And they need to be reigned in, as too many of them have bought their own employer's propaganda.

I don't agree with OP's behavior, but I also don't agree with the opposite "Anything For Security" end of the spectrum. TSA is an agency well-known for its abuses of the public, flagrant disregard for the Constitution, federal law, and its own internal SOP, and complete contempt for even the US Congress. It needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom, new regulations, and a much tighter, more specifically-defined mission statement that would prevent mission creep and limit possibilities for abuse. Some additions to the passenger bill of rights regarding when, how, and why a person can be denied flight would also go pretty far toward curbing TSA abuse.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
First, I don't believe TSA officers are "clerks", they do complete a very important function to us fliers.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What function? Protecting us from deadly cupcakes? Sock monkeys? Breast milk? Juice?

Second, to deliberately harass them is against federal regulations and is not productive or fair to them as a human being.
That's a clumsy sleight of hand. You are using the word "harass" in a wildly expanded sense, and using the same word (but not the same meaning) in pointing to federal regulations. Unless "harass" just means "saying something somebody doesn't like," what the OP did doesn't meet the definition of harassment in any commonly applied sense of the word.

So if you think these "clerks" serve no purpose, please tell us what you do for a living...
Something other than sexually assaulting people.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Nuts.
Your statement wasn't a factual statement; it was a statement of how you felt about something. Don't be shocked if other people feel differently.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
If, 20 years ago, you were told that someday there would be heavily armed police in camo gear in subways, at ballparks, and just roaming the streets, and an agency that could, simply by whispering the word "security", deny you the right to fly on any given day, and that even city streets were patrolled by "soldiers" armed to the teeth, you would have said that was crazy.
Wow, exaggerate much?

I've been to almost every MLB park and a few each of NBA/NFL/MLS/NHL. I've ridden subways in every big U.S. city that has them. Where are the camo dudes supposed to be hiding? They've never interacted with me at any of these places, nor have I seen them hassling other people around me. Certainly don't seem 'em just "roaming the streets". Am I missing out on something?

Are they invisible? Is this part of their technology, kind of like the silent black helicopters?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Wow, exaggerate much?

I've been to almost every MLB park and a few each of NBA/NFL/MLS/NHL. I've ridden subways in every big U.S. city that has them. Where are the camo dudes supposed to be hiding? They've never interacted with me at any of these places, nor have I seen them hassling other people around me. Certainly don't seem 'em just "roaming the streets". Am I missing out on something?

Are they invisible? Is this part of their technology, kind of like the silent black helicopters?
I agree that the post about camo clad was an exaggeration, but just this weekend several thousand baseball fans were detained/held/imprisoned (choose one) without due process for their own protection under the authority of a mayoral order. After the Boston Marathon bombing, many of the people in the area were told to stay in their houses under threat of arrest.

I have attended several NHL games (Predators ) and I have often seen soldiers in uniform. It is mostly during the salute to the troops in which one is recognized as an honored guest.

But, there is my airport. It is full of soldiers. Most are in uniform. That may be because Fort Campbell and the 101st is just up the road, but maybe not.

The cops at BNA are a lot worse than the soldiers. I have yet to meet a friendly one. I avoid them. They look like they are carrying a big chip. However, that is typical southern cop attitude so what do I know?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I agree that the post about camo clad was an exaggeration, but just this weekend several thousand baseball fans were detained/held/imprisoned (choose one) without due process for their own protection under the authority of a mayoral order. After the Boston Marathon bombing, many of the people in the area were told to stay in their houses under threat of arrest.
Oh gawd, you're saying the people at the O's game on Saturday night were "imprisoned"?

<-- Do they make a bigger one of these?

From everything I've read and watched about that game and its aftermath, it sounds like the city actually handled it reasonably well. Perhaps the O's unwittingly helped by blowing a lead, extending the game an inning, and then winning in the 10th.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:28 am

Oh gawd, you're saying the people at the O's game on Saturday night were "imprisoned"?

<-- Do they make a bigger one of these?
How dramatic of you.

Security technologies and procedures that are tolerated at the airport will find their way to other venues. I would not be surprised to eventually see nude-o-scopes in wide use at sports venues, city halls, etc. Anything for safety!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I would not be surprised to eventually see nude-o-scopes in wide use at sports venues, city halls, etc. Anything for safety!
They've been using metal detectors at some sports venues, city halls, etc. for many, many years. X-raying bags is less common but that's sometimes there as well. Other times it's a guy pawing through your stuff, mainly looking for booze.

If you're against it, fine, but it's not exactly new. Been around for a couple decades at least. Anything for safety!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:17 pm
Suspended

First, I don't believe TSA officers are "clerks", they do complete a very important function to us fliers. Second, to deliberately harass them is against federal regulations and is not productive or fair to them as a human being. So if you think these "clerks" serve no purpose, please tell us what you do for a living...
No, they do NOT serve an important function. Have you seen how they "test" checkpoints? Large fake sticks of dynamite, with big letters B-O-M-B on them, like they are from the Acme Bomb Company, and STILL they don't detect 90% of them. The TSA has NEVER stopped a terrorist from attacking a commercial jet.

Wow, exaggerate much?

You're right. Camo was the wrong word. You been on the subway in NY? Seen the guys in the helmets and heavy weapons? Try going to a major event in this country without seeing police/soldiers eyeballing everyone.

I guess it is true it depends on your age. If you were born after 1995 or so, all you know is living in such a police state. And the problem is it turns us all into cowards. Living in a free society carries risks, but too many people have accepted cowardice as a way of life and sold their liberties for a little "security". By accepting cameras watching your every move, accepting heavily armed cops in urban areas, accepting the incredible unprofessional conduct of the TSA, we show our fear of government. We aren't supposed to fear government. Government is supposed to fear us.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:18 pm
Suspended

They've been using metal detectors at some sports venues, city halls, etc. for many, many years. X-raying bags is less common but that's sometimes there as well. Other times it's a guy pawing through your stuff, mainly looking for booze.

If you're against it, fine, but it's not exactly new. Been around for a couple decades at least. Anything for safety!
Apparently EVERY baseball park now has searches (and metal detectors) at the gate. No exceptions.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:54 pm

No, they do NOT serve an important function. Have you seen how they "test" checkpoints? Large fake sticks of dynamite, with big letters B-O-M-B on them, like they are from the Acme Bomb Company, and STILL they don't detect 90% of them. The TSA has NEVER stopped a terrorist from attacking a commercial jet.
So you are one of the few that would rather not have any security screening and let just anyone on an aircraft. We other flyers rather have security to ensure we make it to our destination safely. I shake my head at people who think that the officers do not serve a purpose and give them a hard time. Any job may have failures, I am sure you may make mistakes at whatever minimal job you have, but we are all only human. So if you do not like the process, take another mode of transportation so that we that appreciate the security can enjoy our flight knowing there isn't idiots on board.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you employed by TSA perchance?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:33 am

So you are one of the few that would rather not have any security screening and let just anyone on an aircraft. We other flyers rather have security to ensure we make it to our destination safely. I shake my head at people who think that the officers do not serve a purpose and give them a hard time. Any job may have failures, I am sure you may make mistakes at whatever minimal job you have, but we are all only human. So if you do not like the process, take another mode of transportation so that we that appreciate the security can enjoy our flight knowing there isn't idiots on board.
Oh, good heavens, no one has said that they don't want any security. Why can't you and your ilk understand that? And while you are at it, stop with the "other mode of transportation" hogwash, as TSA is showing up all over the place.

The only purpose of TSA screeners is to look for WEI, nothing more. That does not mean reading through papers, looking through wallets, the list goes on and on.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:34 am

Apparently EVERY baseball park now has searches (and metal detectors) at the gate. No exceptions.
Supported and encouraged by DHS.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:02 am
Suspended

Did I EVER say that? Please don't put words in my mouth. I think we all understand some form of security is necessary (unfortunately) but it should be a PROFESSIONAL organization, not a bunch of rejects from McDonalds. There need to be professional standards, a thorough hiring process, extensive training, and most importantly, accountability. None of that exists with the current TSA, and it shows.

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Supported and encouraged by DHS.
Another agency that should have been killed off years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.