Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by corbetti
OP was not, IMHO, abusive or insulting. He was simply pointing out the lunacy in a polite way, and when provided with canned responses, he replied in a way that made it clear he wasn't accepting said canned responses.
Lunacy like in using the word "resistance" instead of "gentials" when doing patdowns. Tell them to use the word "genitals" and they get angry (and probably embarrassed) and call a supervisor who tells you that you are "interfering with the screening process" and then threatens you.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I figure the path of least resistance is the best and gets me into the lounge faster. This may explain why I am never abused or groped.
I get this.

And is there anything that I would feel crosses the line? No, not with all those cameras around. Let them have their fun if that is what they want, because it makes zero difference to the way I enjoy my life.
You are missing the point of my question (which is quite sincere).

It's clear that you think the TSA's current practices are not worth fighting over or getting worked up about. Some people think they are. With my question, I'm trying to understand if there is anything they would start doing that would change your stance from the "don't like it, don't fly" to one where you believed that the government is infringing on your right to travel freely.

For example, if the TSA strip searched and rectally-examined every single airline passenger, would you still say "don't like it, don't fly" or would you think that would be an infringement of US citizens rights to travel freely?

Or, do you not believe there is any right to travel freely. Is is that there is no right to travel freely on planes, as long as there is an alternative (e.g., walk, swim)? This is the point of my second question about being virtually strip searched for taking any mode of transportation across any arbitrary line. Do you believe the TSA can do whatever they want wherever they want, or is it just about air travel?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
The OP is practicing civil disobedience. Most of us don't like what happens to us, guilty u til proven innocent. Or people not knowing the proper process. No matter who u tell, nothing gets corrected. So it is replying properly and there is nothing they can really do unless they change the security beliefs and process.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:37 am
Suspended

Of course you have a choice: Don't travel. Walk. Drive. Coach. Train.

It's interesting about life choices and attitides to risk. After 9/11, many Americans stopped flying domestically and drive instead. While not a single person lost their life to a terrorist related incident on an aircraft, an additional 1,600 lost their lives in traffic accidents through their choice to drive rather than fly.
No, most people who fly do so out of necessity, whether time restrictions or otherwise. Plus apparently some need to be reminded that travel around the United States should NOT be prevented, prohibited, or restricted in any way.

Even in the name of "security".

And only because of the actions of PASSENGERS AND CREW, did no one lose their life. The multiple security failures in so-called tests of the TSA checkpoints showed us of the complete ineptitude of the TSA, as any terrorist knows the TSA is NO deterrent to violence against passengers. Nothing anyone does at the "checkpoints" can be considered rude.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:41 am
Suspended

I figure the path of least resistance is the best and gets me into the lounge faster. This may explain why I am never abused or groped.
Blind allegiance and obedience to ANYTHING is never a good thing. Or are you one who thinks the TSA is actually performing a service well?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Personally, I demonstrate zero respect for TSA, because I have none.

However, I have enough respect for myself not to sink to the level of childish antics demonstrated by both OP and, in many cases, by the petulant TSOs who retaliate against travelers whom they believe have "disrespected" them or not shown proper obeisance to their shiny plastic badges.
This. Childish antics are never helpful.

An argument could be made that telling a clerk what he is doing is wrong. The clerk might think "wow, what I'm doing is really offensive, oppressive, and wasteful" and then quit. In the long run, this removes clerks with a conscience from the pool, increasing the percentage of those without one. This only works if it were possible to prevent TSA from hiring enough people. That's never going to happen.

The OPs childish antics will only lead to a clerk thinking one of two things:
  1. This passenger is a jerk and I'll just take the high road and ignore him, or
  2. All passengers are jerks and I should retaliate against them.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:55 am

Am I missing this?

What is so random about the beep? If the TSO recognizes KDS, how is it possible that KDS gets beeped so often, how is this seen as random?

It is not the word exchange that is offensive, or I am missing this entirely.

Isn't it that KDS seems to be targeted...by an entity that is supposed to be doing a JOB, not supposedly seeking ways to harass the public, but to make the public safer?

Some here suggest KDS is just supposed to suck it up and put up with the TSA. I say put the shoe on the other foot.

The TSA is not a popular entity...if you choose to work for the TSA, then suck it up, do your job and do not look for an excuse to harass passengers. Seek out the weapons, seek out the terrorists, but let the majority of the flying public move on!

I have read the thread objections to KDS's behavior and find them examples of what apathy we suffer in this country.

The point is that someone sets off that so-called random beep, it is not random.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by FLgrr
The OP is practicing civil disobedience.
That's a really broad brush. Even so, being a jerk "for fun" (as the OP claimed was his intent) still doesn't get covered.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:04 am

jesus. Typical FT, beat first, ask questions later.

Have any of you even asked how the 'security' guy was behaving? No.
Yet again, FT shows its colours, jump on the person that started the thread without asking questions.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
You are lucky for being able to retort to what they did.
I would not dare do anything like that, and yes, I have had the Aust dom bomb residue test, and also the full body scan with my hands up in mock surrender mode at SYDi airport too.
The Aust xray and bomb residue guards don't seem to like me!
I get the random a lot of the time I fly.
I heard once someone after they had that bomb residue test done to them, saying out quite loudly/nearly screaming, at an Aust dom airport, I am not a terrorist.
Personally, I would not to talk to them too much when they pick me.
Is this your bag, yes, any liquid/aerosols/gases, no... then man with wand check, swab, swab, all ok, off I go.
Always remove jacket and belt before Aust dom xray.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Of course you have a choice: Don't travel. Walk. Drive. Coach. Train.

Only way to avoid TSA is to lock yourself in the house. TSA Mission creep

http://www.openmediaboston.org/conte...-boston-common

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/06/us...rity.html?_r=0
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nmh1204
jesus. Typical FT, beat first, ask questions later.

Have any of you even asked how the 'security' guy was behaving? No.
Yet again, FT shows its colours, jump on the person that started the thread without asking questions.

I think people are responding to what is clearly inappropriate behavior on the part of the OP. Regardless of what the TSA agent did, the response was inappropriate and the OP's opinion that it was "fun" indicates poor judgement.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
Unnecessary. Selfish.

Lets be serious for a moment, this isn't some noble stand against "the oppressors".

Listen i get it, sometimes being a jerk is fun but lets not pretend it results in anything more than OP having a fecal-eating grin on his face as he walks away replaying his "genius" moment in his head. And when thats not enough he posts it on a forum to make sure everyone knows he's stuck it to the man.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I love the logical conclusions in this thread:

- If I embarrass myself by acting like a spoiled baby at a TSA checkpoint, I'm somehow going to effect positive change by either the TSA going away entirely or their practices changing to my liking.

- If I conduct myself like a mature adult at the TSA checkpoint, it's because I'm part of the apathetic sheeple instead of an active member of a rebellion against the U.S. government.

- If some TSA agent somewhere commits an abuse against travelers, that gives me the right to take it out on some unrelated security agent elsewhere.

- If I allow my bag to go through the 5-second swab thing without whingeing about it, then I'm pretty much enabling the TSA to go right down that slippery slope to anal probes without any complaint whatsoever. (Slippery slope arguments are always great!)

- If I'd voted for someone else (not sure who) in November 2010, the TSA would be gone and some other form of security (?) would exist at airports today.

- The software inside the metal detector that triggers the beeps for secondary checks is totally out to get me. It just *knows* when I'm around.

This thread is great. Keep 'em comin'! @:-)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pinniped
I love the logical conclusions in this thread:

- If I embarrass myself by acting like a spoiled baby at a TSA checkpoint, I'm somehow going to effect positive change by either the TSA going away entirely or their practices changing to my liking.

- If I conduct myself like a mature adult at the TSA checkpoint, it's because I'm part of the apathetic sheeple instead of an active member of a rebellion against the U.S. government.

- If some TSA agent somewhere commits an abuse against travelers, that gives me the right to take it out on some unrelated security agent elsewhere.

- If I allow my bag to go through the 5-second swab thing without whingeing about it, then I'm pretty much enabling the TSA to go right down that slippery slope to anal probes without any complaint whatsoever. (Slippery slope arguments are always great!)

- If I'd voted for someone else (not sure who) in November 2010, the TSA would be gone and some other form of security (?) would exist at airports today.

- The software inside the metal detector that triggers the beeps for secondary checks is totally out to get me. It just *knows* when I'm around.

This thread is great. Keep 'em comin'! @:-)
Love it!
Also, disappointed to find out that I've been missing out on the anal probes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.