Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by pinniped
Somehow I don't think being a jerk is going to advance whatever cause you seem to have.
Well said. Whoever is selecting threads for the homepage is making some questionable decisions.

I hope those new to FT don't happen upon this and think it's somehow indicative of the culture or attitude of most FT members.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Originally Posted by KDS
Encouraging the use of proper, accurate language is a lost art for many. I believe communication should be clear and understandable. Many great comedy sketches and routines are based on literal language, so it can be enjoyable.
give me a break - if by enjoyable you mean at the expense of others - go for it and may karma get you
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Air France Platinum, Air China Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Well said. Whoever is selecting threads for the homepage is making some questionable decisions.

I hope those new to FT don't happen upon this and think it's somehow indicative of the culture or attitude of most FT members.
I'm new to FT and will try to see beyond this thread.

OP, seriously though, would you rather they just did away with the screening altogether then? I don't think anyone thinks it's great fun going through the whole security process, but I don't think I'd step on a plane without that security in place.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Enjoy your "full meal deal" passenger screening, OP!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by MilkyWay
would you rather they just did away with the screening altogether then? I don't think anyone thinks it's great fun going through the whole security process, but I don't think I'd step on a plane without that security in place.
Those that fly on business jets don't have to undergo any security, they can take what they like into the cabin.

Does that make you feel safer?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by MilkyWay
I'm new to FT and will try to see beyond this thread.

OP, seriously though, would you rather they just did away with the screening altogether then? I don't think anyone thinks it's great fun going through the whole security process, but I don't think I'd step on a plane without that security in place.
I don't see where the OP made the statement to do away with security. You're presenting a binary option of security, either what we have now, or no security at all. There could be a very workable solution in the middle, that actually balances the freedoms guaranteed in this country with security.

What we have now is security theater, along with the frequent abuse by TSA employees.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
I'm sure the next post form the OP will be how TSA is unprofessional when he takes his "literal" spoofing too far...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
KDS I am with you on the literal language. Most people are pretty sloppy. My favorite is when someone asks if I have identification. My response is "Yes". Which is then usually followed by a long pause. Some get it, some do not.

Interpreting communication in a literal sense rather than accepting the vernacular is at the troubled end of a spectrum of behaviour.

If the OP finds pleasure in displaying his/her superior skills in language and logic, then surely it would be more satisfying to assert them in an environment a tad more challenging than airport security lines.

I'd have found the OP's behaviour embarrassing.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
I'm sure the next post form the OP will be how TSA is unprofessional when he takes his "literal" spoofing too far...
Or it could just as equally be how the OP was assaulted by a TSA employee who enjoys abusing their position to feel up unsuspecting passengers.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-victims-denver-airport-groping-scandal-20150415-story.html
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Did you also wear your "I'm a Delta Diamond" hat this morning?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

I fully understand the frustration with TSA.

Something unexpected happened so quickly last week
that I did not have time to react before my document
was snatched.

Going through Pre-Check one of the agents grabbed
my passport out of my hand, placed it in a bin and
shoved it through the machine.

Next time that happens I will be announcing that we
have a problem and a chat will take place.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
So your idea of fun is belittling someone else to prove your superiority? That's what it sounds like.

One thing I learned a long time ago is there will always be people smarter than me and people not as smart as me. Those with less intelligence deserve a little more consideration and understanding IMO.

So they know you and you get "selected" for special treatment because of that, making your security clearance harder.....that does not sound very intelligent to me!

I've never had a problem at the checkpoint in 30 years.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I've never had a problem at the checkpoint in 30 years.
What... you mean TSA has been operating for 30 years!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Keep it up. And then enjoy your eventual lifetime SSS.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by jtodd
Or it could just as equally be how the OP was assaulted by a TSA employee who enjoys abusing their position to feel up unsuspecting passengers.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-victims-denver-airport-groping-scandal-20150415-story.html
Yes, it could be, however, that's not what this tread was about. The OP clearly was clearly out to take the "literal" word to a humorous level...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.