Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:55 am
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Came through FNT this morning. Got the "random 'you've been randomly identified for screening'" beep from PreCheck WTMD. I sighed audibly and said something loud enough to hear.

TSO comes over and confirms my bags; apparently I'm to get a "random" bag check. He grabs my laptop bag and says , "grab your stuff and follow me." I replied, "that is my 'stuff' that you have." He stopped, thought for a moment, then said, "grab the rest of your stuff and follow me."

He says he's going to swab my bag and check it (doesn't say what he's checking for, of course). I said, "yeah, yeah, more stupid pet tricks."

He says, "the metal detector selected you for this screening, not us." I replied, "the metal detector is an inanimate object; it is incapable of selecting anything." He says, "didn't you hear that beep when you walked through?" I repeated my statement. He got a bit testy, but then left me alone.

When he came back and said all was ok, I replied, "wow, that really made a difference, didn't it." He walked away and we ended our encounter.

Another pax was in front of me in the PreCheck line; while checking his ID, the TSO said that "KDS" is behind you so the lane is definitely open (??). Guy turns to me and says, "it must be interesting that they know you by name." I replied, you should hear the stories as to why they know me; they're memorable ones.

Just another day of traveling under the bootheel of the blue-gloved agents of "freedom."
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:09 am

Boy, you really have a chip on your shoulder. Makes me want to check out your posts to read about your other experiences.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:05 am
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zitsky
Boy, you really have a chip on your shoulder. Makes me want to check out your posts to read about your other experiences.
Wrong.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
You have too much time and energy if you like giving folks guff and posting about it. Travel is tough enough without this crap.....
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:23 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Granitebox
You have too much time and energy if you like giving folks guff and posting about it. Travel is tough enough without this crap.....
Perhaps we have a different opinion on how to profitably spend time, but I like to lighten things up now and then by posting about the TSA adventures we all get to have. Enjoy your travel.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
Hassling folks doing their job is just bullying - pure and simple. Life's too short.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Why even bother? unless being so "literal" results in some sort of enjoyment on your part.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:43 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Granitebox
Hassling folks doing their job is just bullying - pure and simple. Life's too short.
Perhaps we have a different opinion about what is meant by the TSA "doing their job." So we'll just have different opinions, ain't it grand?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:45 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Why even bother? unless being so "literal" results in some sort of enjoyment on your part.
Encouraging the use of proper, accurate language is a lost art for many. I believe communication should be clear and understandable. Many great comedy sketches and routines are based on literal language, so it can be enjoyable.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:51 pm

I support KDS's decision to not accept the status quo.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you think entry level employees make policy...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta, United
KDS I am with you on the literal language. Most people are pretty sloppy. My favorite is when someone asks if I have identification. My response is "Yes". Which is then usually followed by a long pause. Some get it, some do not.

Now who's at the gate? What.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think there's a difference between requesting that the TSA be clear/concise in their direction and just outright being a jerk. Most of your comments had nothing to do with "being literal".

Somehow I don't think being a jerk is going to advance whatever cause you seem to have.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by KDS

He says, "the metal detector selected you for this screening, not us." I replied, "the metal detector is an inanimate object; it is incapable of selecting anything." He says, "didn't you hear that beep when you walked through?" I repeated my statement. He got a bit testy, but then left me alone.
It's not simply an inanimate object, it has software inside. Software is quite easily programmed to make random selections which happened when it beeped for your walkthrough. You were selected by the machine's software.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by 84fiero
It's not simply an inanimate object, it has software inside. Software is quite easily programmed to make random selections which happened when it beeped for your walkthrough. You were selected by the machine's software.
Strictly speaking, it isn't truly random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.