Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:33 am

As for ID policy, TSA does allow people to fly without ID as long as they can verify the identify of the person. Recently a person who forgot his ID at home was verified by TSA by checking his Facebook account. An ID proves that you are what you claim to be and every establishment or business has the right to check the identity of the person they allow into their premises. When a stranger knocks at your door claiming to be a cop, would you ask for an ID or not? As for allowing undocumented aliens to fly, it is the prerogative of the TSA and I am sure they must have done some risk assessment or verified the undocumented travelers.

That said, Airport security needs a major re-look around the world. I know this sounds radical but its just an idea and it might be bad or not bad, the whole point is we should discuss and propose alternatives. Everyone should have a background credit system like a social score. I help an accident victim, my score goes up two points. I fly 10 years without an incident, I get an extra 10 points. I help law enforcement in an investigation, I get rewarded more points. My neighbors verify me, my points add up. In the same way, I break a law, my score goes down. I have an argument with a police officer, again my score goes down. So all the airport security has to do is check if my score is acceptable, then send me off without any security checks. If my score is on the border or less than acceptable, subject me to additional checks.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM
Originally Posted by FlyingDesi
As for ID policy, TSA does allow people to fly without ID as long as they can verify the identify of the person. Recently a person who forgot his ID at home was verified by TSA by checking his Facebook account.
Facebook estimates that between 5.5% and 11.2% of accounts are fake

Facebook says at least 67.65 million fake accounts were used last month. That number can go as high as 137.76 million, if the company’s higher-end estimate is to be believed.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:50 am

Well then there should be a law to make an ID compulsory for flying?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
That said, Airport security needs a major re-look around the world. I know this sounds radical but its just an idea and it might be bad or not bad, the whole point is we should discuss and propose alternatives. Everyone should have a background credit system like a social score. I help an accident victim, my score goes up two points. I fly 10 years without an incident, I get an extra 10 points. I help law enforcement in an investigation, I get rewarded more points. My neighbors verify me, my points add up. In the same way, I break a law, my score goes down. I have an argument with a police officer, again my score goes down. So all the airport security has to do is check if my score is acceptable, then send me off without any security checks. If my score is on the border or less than acceptable, subject me to additional checks.
It's a horrible, horrible idea. Argue with a screener that they don't know what an acceptable ID looks like - win a retaliatory grope. Opt out of the nude-o-scope - two demerits. Cheat on taxes - ten minutes in the checkpoint penalty box for being a bad citizen. Speeding ticket - an obvious scofflaw sociopath - delay enough to miss the flight plus being added to the list of donors for kidney transplants for ruling party members.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:08 pm

Hahaha! Well, no idea is perfect from the beginning! Anyway, I feel that we are being overzealous and paranoid about a lot of things in life. I am a member of my neighborhood watch group on Facebook and I see women posting messages regularly about seeing a strange man walk up the street, someone trying to take a photograph of something. We have become too fragile, too scared of everything and anything. Everyone is so uptight about their rights. My right to bear arms, my right to express blah blah. They are not god given rights but whereas a few men who fought for it and thought such rights are good during that period of time. As the world evolves, so should the rules and laws. Nothing is absolute.

Back in India where I come from, we are free. Free as in really free. I can loiter anywhere I want for any amount of time, you won't find old ladies calling 100 (Indian equivalent of 911), I can take a walk in the middle of the night just because I feel like. I won't be stopped or robbed. I can argue with a cop and he still won't arrest me. Yes, there are many bad things like corruption etc but freedom is absolute.

We have had many terrorist attacks in India. The Mumbai terror attacks, the serial train bombings in Mumbai, The Hyderabad serial bombings in parks, fast food centers etc, the Delhi market bombings etc etc. In fact, it is the most easiest place for any terrorist to bomb in the World. Whatever happened, we did not change the way we live or move around. The trains started running immediately few days after the bombings and people got on them as usual. Those terrorists are not going to dictate how I should feel or behave. Nor did the authorities go crazy creating a police state after the bombings. I guess by now the terrorists must be thinking that it doesn't make any difference if they try to terrorize India. They will not change the way they live and so have given up mostly, they don't want to waste their money on Indians :-)

But what happened here in the United States is everyone was gripped by fear. One terrorist attack changed this country, their way of thinking and they even started stripping the liberties of their own citizens to be safe.

9/11 was not the day when the terrorists won, they won on 11/25/02, the day Department of Homeland Security was formed and United States slowly started taking the shape of a police state. Citizens don't know if their phone calls are private, don't know if their mail is confidential. Don't know if someone is observing them from closed circuit camera's on streets. It all feels like a sci-fi movie.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:26 pm

As for ID policy, TSA does allow people to fly without ID as long as they can verify the identify of the person.
Let me emphatically state that the TSA does not allow anyone to fly.

As a citizen in the United States, flying is your right. The government seems to think it is their business to interfere with your right to travel with ineffectual security theater.

Well then there should be a law to make an ID compulsory for flying?
It would probably have to be a constitution amendment. Even the government acknowledges that it doesn't require identification to fly (see Gilmore v Gonzales.)
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:24 pm

I am sure there is a difference here. When you fear for your safety, you cannot just *go* to any other country. You have to be at their borders at a legal checkpoint and apply for asylum. While the asylum process is pending, the host country can detain the refugee claimant. The claimants have to prove a credible and documented threat to their life. They cannot say that Mexico is filled with criminals, I might get shot 20 years later so I am here. Same way I cannot say, there have been bombings in various public places in India, I am scared I will be caught in one of them, hence I am applying for asylum.
A difference where? The Honduran and Salvadoran refugees arriving at US Borders ARE fleeing a genuine threat, and you have not claimed otherwise. No one has said that they cannot be detained while their asylum claims are pending. But the fact that they can can legally be detained does not make their presence in the country illegal, even if their claims are ultimately denied. A claimant of refugee status arrives as a claimant. If due proces is properly observed, they are processed and ultimately given a hearing. One potential outcome of that hearing is that their claim is denied and they are deported back to thei home country. But even in such a case, at no point has this claimant ever broken any law or been otherwise "illegal" as others on this board insinuate. There is nothing "illegal" about applying for asylum and having your claim denied.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Blogndog
A difference where? The Honduran and Salvadoran refugees arriving at US Borders ARE fleeing a genuine threat, and you have not claimed otherwise. No one has said that they cannot be detained while their asylum claims are pending. But the fact that they can can legally be detained does not make their presence in the country illegal, even if their claims are ultimately denied. A claimant of refugee status arrives as a claimant. If due proces is properly observed, they are processed and ultimately given a hearing. One potential outcome of that hearing is that their claim is denied and they are deported back to thei home country. But even in such a case, at no point has this claimant ever broken any law or been otherwise "illegal" as others on this board insinuate. There is nothing "illegal" about applying for asylum and having your claim denied.
^ Thank you!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:08 am

They become illegal if they bypass all the asylum procedures and enter the country without any contact with the authorities. They are protected under all the rights you mentioned only if they have uttered the magic words "asylum" on record and get themselves registered.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:42 am

They become illegal if they bypass all the asylum procedures and enter the country without any contact with the authorities. They are protected under all the rights you mentioned only if they have uttered the magic words "asylum" on record and get themselves registered.
Since you are making the rules... Is is acceptable for the children to say "asylum" in their native language or do they need to use English?

/end snark
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:48 am

Maybe after your snarking, you can read the below which is from the Geneva Convention and then maybe you can stop making your own laws.

"The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territory where their life or freedom was threatened in the sense of article 1, enter or are present in their territory without authorization, provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or presence. (Article 31, (1))
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:06 pm

Maybe after your snarking, you can read the below which is from the Geneva Convention and then maybe you can stop making your own laws.

"The Contracting States shall not impose penalties, on account of their illegal entry or presence, on refugees who, coming directly from a territory where their life or freedom was threatened in the sense of article 1, enter or are present in their territory without authorization, provided they present themselves without delay to the authorities and show good cause for their illegal entry or presence. (Article 31, (1))
Where does it say they must use the word "asylum"?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:09 pm

I am guessing English isn't really your strength, I am sure there is an equivalent translation of Asylum in Spanish, Chinese, Indian or the rare language Stupidish!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:11 pm

I am guessing English isn't really your strength, I am sure there is an equivalent translation of Asylum in Spanish, Chinese, Indian or the rare language Stupidish!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 3:18 pm

I am sorry if that sounded rude. Looked like you were trying to be an .... As you can see above, it says present to the authorities as soon as possible. When they present themselves to the authorities, I am sure they won't say "Shopping!", "Family!", "Killing!", "Shooting!" etc! They have to say they are seeing asylum and need refugee status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.