Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Gold
overactive imagination? I think not

Posted today on ABC news site:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...at-the-border/

"Two unaccompanied children were flown from Nogales to California despite having 101-degree fevers and flu-like symptoms, according to the Department of Defense memo. Those children had to be hospitalized.
The memo said pointedly that officials in charge of moving the immigrants from Border Patrol processing centers to Health and Human Services facilities are “putting sick [fevers and coughing] unaccompanied children on airplanes inbound for [Naval Base Ventura County] in addition to the chicken pox and coxsackie virus cases.”

Now even the feds are getting worried.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:23 am

I asked what I thought was a simple 11-word question. Your reply was non-responsive on at least two counts.

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
There are any number of additional examples if you were to search.
Well your first attempt didn't provide the example, so would you like to try again?

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
This is irrelevant since the TSA does not corroborate ID information with any sort of database. It only does so with Secure Flight information, which is itself not corroborated against the ID displayed.

But in the hypothetical scenario that TSA did so.... an I-862 can and is issued to any number of immigrants, not just those who entered without inspection, and often includes those who have entered legally. In many such cases (I suspect the vast majority, given the data required to issue an I-862 in the first place), there is extensive information about such immigrants in USCIS databases. ICE chooses to actively arrest and remove only a certain number of these cases (specifically those who have committed crimes), simply because of the resources available.

I would venture that an immigrant with an I-862 is a lot more easily "identifiable" through databases and so forth than somebody who gets through TSA with nothing more than a Costco card, Library card or other non-approved ID. But again, TSA doesn't check your ID against a database so this is moot.
It is not "irrelevant" nor "moot" if the TSA is following its announced procedures. If a traveler does not have one of the approved IDs that TSA lists (and, to date, the I-862 is not one of them), then the traveler is supposed to be subjected to answering questions about himself.

From what we have heard, the TSA is using the same databases from which credit checks are performed in order to pose the questions to the traveler, which for many coming across the border without papers would be pretty much non-existent.

The issue then becomes whether the TSA can query the "USICS databases" to verify the identity of the traveler. I would suspect not due to Privacy Act considerations.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by susiesan

"Two unaccompanied children were flown from Nogales to California despite having 101-degree fevers and flu-like symptoms, according to the Department of Defense memo. Those children had to be hospitalized.
The memo said pointedly that officials in charge of moving the immigrants from Border Patrol processing centers to Health and Human Services facilities are “putting sick [fevers and coughing] unaccompanied children on airplanes inbound for [Naval Base Ventura County] in addition to the chicken pox and coxsackie virus cases.”

Children get sick. They are living in close quarters so flu and cold germs are easily spread. Happens in day cares and grade schools too. Bet it happens at the office where you work.

The illnesses are not necessarily associated with the country they were born in or how they arrived in the US.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C. and then we can discuss. So it is not PC, it is "derogatory" and it is not "accurate" to use the term when talking about the law when that is a term used therein? I guess Dictionary.com, for example, needs to note such.

I will show you a quick place where you can then click on the links therein to see how it is used.

Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C.?
A couple of examples from a very quick search:

http://www.balchfriends.org/glimpse/...ntroBkLaws.htm

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=1.20.130
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by NoMoreFlying
You originally asserted, "I suspect there are other statutes on the books that use derogatory terms for other races, religions, etc. Would you use those terms because they are in statute?" To which I replied, "Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C. and then we can discuss."

I asked what I thought was a simple 16-word question. Your reply is non-responsive. Neither of your links refer to the U.S.C. and neither are to "statutes on the books". In fact, your former one is to laws passed over 150 years. Are you suggesting that these are still "statutes on the books"?

So your "couple of examples from a very quick search" aren't.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:28 am

Children get sick. They are living in close quarters so flu and cold germs are easily spread. Happens in day cares and grade schools too. Bet it happens at the office where you work.

The illnesses are not necessarily associated with the country they were born in or how they arrived in the US.
Are you kidding? the CDC takes any passenger coming into the U.S that has flu like symptoms very seriously and where they visited prior to entering the U.S.

The country or origin and how they arrived are part of the equation. Let it be by air, ground or water.....

Being dismissive because they're kids is really the wrong way to look at it.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by ords
Are you kidding? the CDC takes any passenger coming into the U.S that has flu like symptoms very seriously and where they visited prior to entering the U.S.

The country or origin and how they arrived are part of the equation. Let it be by air, ground or water.....

Being dismissive because they're kids is really the wrong way to look at it.
I am not being dismissive. The poster I responded to has previously indicated they believe most, if not all, undocumented aliens, are in some way diseased. The article was that poster's proof. I was stating it is not proof.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:18 am

You originally asserted, "I suspect there are other statutes on the books that use derogatory terms for other races, religions, etc. Would you use those terms because they are in statute?" To which I replied, "Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C. and then we can discuss."

I asked what I thought was a simple 16-word question. Your reply is non-responsive. Neither of your links refer to the U.S.C. and neither are to "statutes on the books". In fact, your former one is to laws passed over 150 years. Are you suggesting that these are still "statutes on the books"?

So your "couple of examples from a very quick search" aren't.
You got me. I did say "statutes on the books" when I was referring to open, closed, deleted, expunged, removed, D all of the above, things that have been written using terms no longer considered appropriate when used in legal matters or in other matters.

Your defensive deflection does not negate the fact that the term "illegal alien" is offensive, and not technically accurate, and therefore should not be used.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:25 am

Your defensive deflection does not negate the fact that the term "illegal alien" is offensive, and not technically accurate, and therefore should not be used.
The TSA are offensive and should not be used - yet they are!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Mmm. 2 children, eh? Must mean all of them are the same. Even the ones that flew and weren't ill. And after all, no children in the general population (or any other travellers) ever travel while ill. Wait, hang on....
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I asked what I thought was a simple 11-word question. Your reply was non-responsive on at least two counts.

Well your first attempt didn't provide the example, so would you like to try again?
I have neither the time, interest, nor inclination to search for specific instances of derogatory terms being used in the US Code. It is common knowledge that such instances exist and have existed, and the article I linked to provided an example of an effort to remove such references, even if it did not cite a specific example in the USC. If that is not good enough for you, the internet is a vast place, and I suspect with a little effort you will find what you are looking for.

The point is that "illegal alien" is considered by many - and almost the entirety of the undocumented community - to be a derogatory term. Its presence in the US Code does nothing to change that fact.

It is not "irrelevant" nor "moot" if the TSA is following its announced procedures. If a traveler does not have one of the approved IDs that TSA lists (and, to date, the I-862 is not one of them), then the traveler is supposed to be subjected to answering questions about himself.

From what we have heard, the TSA is using the same databases from which credit checks are performed in order to pose the questions to the traveler, which for many coming across the border without papers would be pretty much non-existent.

The issue then becomes whether the TSA can query the "USICS databases" to verify the identity of the traveler. I would suspect not due to Privacy Act considerations.
Have you ever been through a security checkpoint without approved ID? It is actually rather easy. It involves zero to limited questioning, with most of the focus being a pat-down and a full search of your carry-on. As for foreigners bringing up an empty credit record, this would apply to any foreigner - legally in the US or otherwise. So yes, the issue is indeed very much moot. An I-862 does not a security risk make.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:57 am

Tons of people fly without ID all the time. People lose their wallets/have them stolen/etc. But when it's time to fly out, they may spend an hour or so filling out papers and getting extra screening.

TSA should remain focused on keeping weapons/explosives/incendiaries off of planes, *NOT* increased to include the duties of Border Patrol/Customs.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:18 am

Yes, whereas if they had been admitted to the country legally, that would prevent them from getting sick.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If the kids are sick, they most likely got sick here. Any sizable group of kids in close quarters is going to have some colds, sore throats and the like. Nothing to be alarmed about, but a lot of folks act like these kids are either gangsters or carrying Ebola. Possibly both. That's stupid, but it's a waste of time to argue with them. They believe what they want to believe, facts or no facts.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 20, 2014 at 12:18 am Reason: Personalizing the discussion
Old Jul 20, 2014, 12:16 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Folks,

We've edited or deleted nearly two dozen posts serving no purpose other than petty argumentativeness. Please stick to the topic at hand and leave the personalizing out of the discussion.

essxjay
TS/S moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.