Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blogndog
And this would contribute to aviation security how?
I think it's just an attempt to try and drive out illegal immigrants in America.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDesi
Maybe its time to overhaul the airports. I know this involves a drastic change of things but if you see some European airports, they have security right before boarding and maybe design airports in such a way.
If you read carefully, I said "some" and yes I know that all the airports have central screening too but I used that as an example for the type of screening, not discussing what European airports have or don't.

The idea here is to debate...How feasible is it to have security at the gate which is managed by an Individual airline. Will the future go in that direction?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
Maybe its time to overhaul the airports. I know this involves a drastic change of things but if you see some European airports, they have security right before boarding and maybe design airports in such a way. My flight load might be less and instead of taking advantage of that, I still have to stand in line along with people trying all other lines, go through one size fits all attitude.

As the world evolves, population grows, the government cannot be expected to secure each and every business and frankly its not their business to provide security for all private businesses. Why doesn't TSA check when someone goes into a Mall to shop? What different is a concentrated space of public in a mall than an Airline? Use all that money they are wasting on better intelligence, developing better screening technologies....
Not to go too far off topic, but most airports moved away from decentralized gate based screening to central screening a long time ago. You do realize that gate based screening means you're going to go through security for connecting flights right?
Also prior to 9-11 screening was done by the airlines (ok really their subcontractors) and the process wasn't any better than it was today. Sure we have more screening steps but those will still be in place whether it's an airline subcontractor groping you or TSA screener.

Finally, the explanation for why you don't see the TSA at the malls is in the first part of their name "Transportation", you do see them at train stations, seaports and other transportation locations.

Back on topic though, I have no problem with an immigrant regardless of status going through security screening, as the TSA has made exceptions for travelers in the past provided they could have some other way of verifying the person is who they say they are.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If you read carefully, I said "some" and yes I know that all the airports have central screening too but I used that as an example for the type of screening, not discussing what European airports have or don't.

The idea here is to debate...How feasible is it to have security at the gate which is managed by an Individual airline. Will the future go in that direction?
Why do you need a second security check? There is no international-to-international connection in the US. To get in the system, you go through TSA or the equivalent at a pre-clearance airport outside the US. There's grudging acceptance of going through security once for a flight.

I don't know what you want to accomplish besides wasting time and money on having two security checks to take a flight. It would not work in the US.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by 1353513636
I think it's just an attempt to try and drive out illegal immigrants in America.
Indeed. And as the US economy recovers, the incentive for undocumented migrants to come back will only increase. Are the immigration worry-warts praying for a Great Depression to hit the US? It would be more effective to drive out illegal immigrants than forcing un(der)documented immigrants to skip flying and make them do more road trips inside the US. That sounds dangerous to me. Flying is safer, no less so when allowed without the passenger ID checks.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

If you want to waste a lot of money on building new airports or redesigning current airports, then what isn't feasible? I would rather have the money not wasted on airport security dog and pony shows -- and that "security" theater includes wasting money on passenger ID checks and wasting money on gate-area distributed screening build-outs.

It sounds like you want to consider coming up with more and more costly points of security failure rather than to keep it simple by focusing on the basics of contraband WEI interdiction at the central screening checkpoints. Passenger ID checks divert resources from being used for WEI interdiction -- not smart security.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:40 pm

Read the quote wrong, disregard.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Sorry if I'm being thick, but what is a "notice to appear"? Also, I was under the impression that anyone was able to fly without proper ID, they just had to go through additional screening and ran a higher risk of being denied. Is that accurate? I don't have firsthand experience, but I know a few people who forgot identification and were able to get through TSA.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Sorry if I'm being thick, but what is a "notice to appear"? Also, I was under the impression that anyone was able to fly without proper ID, they just had to go through additional screening and ran a higher risk of being denied. Is that accurate? I don't have firsthand experience, but I know a few people who forgot identification and were able to get through TSA.
A notice to appear states when you are required to be in court for your pending case. The notice to appear referenced in this thread is for someone assumed to have entered the US without following proper procedures.

Yes, you can fly without ID. Children do it all the time. I did it when I lost my ID during my vacation in HI.

From the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ceptable-ids):

"Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, because of losing it or inadvertently leaving it at home. If this happens to you, it does not necessarily mean you won't be allowed to fly. If you are willing to provide additional information, we have other ways to confirm your identity, like using publicly available databases, so you can reach your flight."
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:24 am

As the Pilgrims were neither screened nor admitted legally perhaps we should deport all their descendants?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by catocony
I'm just amazed that some people are concerned about undocumented aliens traveling on commercial planes, with no weapons or intent to do harm. Some are scared they will do "something" on a plane. Meanwhile, they don't seem to have much of an issue with an undocumented alien babysitting their children, cleaning their homes, fixing their roofs, preparing their food in restaurants, etc etc.

Very strange, modern racism in America. If migrants work for cheap and stay in their place, no problem. If a migrant sits beside you on an airplane, suddenly they're a security or health risk.
Would you like to sit next to a few known terrorists who are unarmed and have gone through the airport security screening? It doesn't take AK-47s to wreak havoc in a plane.

Reportedly many gang members from the south have entered the US illegally and would you like to sit next to them on a flight?

The crux of the matter is TSA uses one standard to treat lawful citizens and visitors (akin to assuming their guilt until proven innocence) while another standard to treat illegal aliens (letting them on flights with no photo IDs). Moreover, the information on their notices of appearance might be complete fabrication (exception for the court dates). The border patrol basically enters whatever information given to them by the illegals because there is no way to verify the information.

It's hard to fathom that many posters here want to just let anyone on a plane. If you like, charter your own plane and invite anyone you want. But there is public safety in play here on commercial flights.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by naumank
Would you like to sit next to a few known terrorists who are unarmed and have gone through the airport security screening? It doesn't take AK-47s to wreak havoc in a plane.

Reportedly many gang members from the south have entered the US illegally and would you like to sit next to them on a flight?

The crux of the matter is TSA uses one standard to treat lawful citizens and visitors (akin to assuming their guilt until proven innocence) while another standard to treat illegal aliens (letting them on flights with no photo IDs). Moreover, the information on their notices of appearance might be complete fabrication (exception for the court dates). The border patrol basically enters whatever information given to them by the illegals because there is no way to verify the information.

It's hard to fathom that many posters here want to just let anyone on a plane. If you like, charter your own plane and invite anyone you want. But there is public safety in play here on commercial flights.
Are you aware the 9/11 terrorists were all legally in the US? Are you aware your next door neighbor, Joe, who you bbq and drink beer with, who was born and raised in the good ole USA, could be a terrorist?

Foreign nationals have as much chance of being a terrorist as your granny.

Not to mention, having an ID does not stop someone from having evil intentions.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

As long as Dick Cheney, Osama bin Laden's favorite son, Michael Chertoff and John Brennan have been effectively screened such that they have no contraband weapons/explosives/incendiaries on my flights with properly secured cockpits, they can sit next to you or in front of me and I don't care. With or without an ID, they are less of a risk in the air than on the ground, assuming that they and their conveyance ought to have been properly screened for contraband WEIs before being allowed on my flights.

Passenger ID is not security.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NoMoreFlying
Are you aware the 9/11 terrorists were all legally in the US? Are you aware your next door neighbor, Joe, who you bbq and drink beer with, who was born and raised in the good ole USA, could be a terrorist?

Foreign nationals have as much chance of being a terrorist as your granny.

Not to mention, having an ID does not stop someone from having evil intentions.
Actually you are not correct. Many of those terrorists were in illegal immigration status (some lied on the visa application to get legal status - which means the status was actually illegal). You can check out the facts here: http://www.fairus.org/issue/identity...-11-terrorists

The fact of the matter is the U.S. is a nation of law, and everybody has to follow it. It's as simple as that. If you want lawlessness and open border, then put it through a constitution amendment and see if it passes. Until then, illegals have no business in the United States. Try to enter Mexico illegally and see what will happen to you. Good luck.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Actually you are not correct. Many of those terrorists were in illegal immigration status (some lied on the visa application to get legal status - which means the status was actually illegal).
The 9/11 hijackers were all admitted into the US at US POEs by US governmental authorities. The US CBP predecessor agencies stamped all of them into the US, repeatedly in some cases. They traveled with valid passports. So much for ID being security.

"FAIR" is an organization with its own weird spin using xenophobic plays. It's not a very fair organization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.