Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:47 pm

I think the TSA is struggling with its core mission and are ill equipped to be expanding on it. When Arizona tried something similar, one thing that quickly emerged is that state cops were inadequately trained for the determining status.

On other parts of this forum, we've all complained about the caliber of person manning these checkpoints.

Immigration is a politically charged issue and both sides are posturing on it. My issue is frankly pragmatic. I don't want to be standing behind someone while the TSA is trying to figure out with a Mexican National with an F3 part time student visa (and appropriate Mexican ID) is allowed to board a plane to New York to participate in a school related program or whether a Canadian First Nationder is from a Treaty Tribe under the Jay Treaty of 1794 allowing them to live and work in the US without any visa.

Remember these are the guys who just a couple of months ago got in trouble because they thought a District of Columbia Driver's license was foreign:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...08b_story.html

We've talked about how many TSA agents had problems with Nexus, Sentri, and Global Entry cards as IDs. Politics aside, I think that this is a bad idea.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Most undocumented migrants working in the US are being victimized? I don't know about you, but if my option was to live on work for five dollars a day in India or live on the same work for ten dollars an hour in the US, I would almost certainly choose the ten dollars an hour in the US and be thankful for it every day. ... The labor demand side is the major driver for undocumented migrant flows to the US and it is a problem....
Certainly the labor demand side is the driver of illegal immigration. That doesn't mean undocumented aliens are not "exploited"--often (not always) working at below minimum wage for excessive hours at dangerous as well as unpleasant jobs.

At least we can agree on their right to fly and the insanity of TSA.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by naumank
Would you like to sit next to a few known terrorists who are unarmed and have gone through the airport security screening? It doesn't take AK-47s to wreak havoc in a plane.

Reportedly many gang members from the south have entered the US illegally and would you like to sit next to them on a flight?

The crux of the matter is TSA uses one standard to treat lawful citizens and visitors (akin to assuming their guilt until proven innocence) while another standard to treat illegal aliens (letting them on flights with no photo IDs). Moreover, the information on their notices of appearance might be complete fabrication (exception for the court dates). The border patrol basically enters whatever information given to them by the illegals because there is no way to verify the information.

It's hard to fathom that many posters here want to just let anyone on a plane. If you like, charter your own plane and invite anyone you want. But there is public safety in play here on commercial flights.
If they're not armed, they are not a threat. You can spin tales of kung fu masters taking over a plane, but that's paranoid fantasy from the neo-con Right. As far as gang members "from the south", how do you know that you haven't sat next a criminal at some point in your travels? Again, you're equating criminal activity to ethnicity. Some hispanic guy who's been in the US picking vegetables for 2 years can sit by me anytime. Some 100% American racist from Alabama, I would prefer they sit elsewhere.

You're trying to make it sound like TSA grills people with ID but if you don't have ID, you get a free pass. That's not at all true.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:43 pm

Actually you are not correct. Many of those terrorists were in illegal immigration status (some lied on the visa application to get legal status - which means the status was actually illegal). You can check out the facts here: http://www.fairus.org/issue/identity...-11-terrorists

The fact of the matter is the U.S. is a nation of law, and everybody has to follow it. It's as simple as that. If you want lawlessness and open border, then put it through a constitution amendment and see if it passes. Until then, illegals have no business in the United States. Try to enter Mexico illegally and see what will happen to you. Good luck.
I thought the discussion was ID as security not the right for someone to be in the country.

The reason these people have a notice to appear is to plead their case to the court. Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty? Or do you not support the US legal system? Or just not in the case of immigrants?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:28 pm

Would you like to sit next to a few known terrorists who are unarmed and have gone through the airport security screening? It doesn't take AK-47s to wreak havoc in a plane.

Reportedly many gang members from the south have entered the US illegally and would you like to sit next to them on a flight?

The crux of the matter is TSA uses one standard to treat lawful citizens and visitors (akin to assuming their guilt until proven innocence) while another standard to treat illegal aliens (letting them on flights with no photo IDs). Moreover, the information on their notices of appearance might be complete fabrication (exception for the court dates). The border patrol basically enters whatever information given to them by the illegals because there is no way to verify the information.
No, the "crux" of the matter is that some xenophobes want different treatment. As extensively discussed previously in this thread, there is nothing "illegal" about being in the USA while waiting for an immigration hearing, which is the status of those who have been issued a 'Notice to Appear,' so if you want to contribute to the discussion rather than trying to confuse and obfuscate, then please stop using a term that has already been demonstrated to be inaccurate and inappropriate.

But as to your point, as also has been clearly established in the earlier discussion on this thread, there is a TSA policy and a TSA procedure for allowing people to fly without ID. That policy applies equally to all travellers. You are the only one on this thread advocating that a "different standard" ought to apply to immigrants.

It's hard to fathom that many posters here want to just let anyone on a plane. If you like, charter your own plane and invite anyone you want. But there is public safety in play here on commercial flights.
Well, maybe because the alternative to "just let anyone on a plane" is to apply illegal and unjust discriminatory policies to who gets on a plane. What next? Allowing "just anyone" to come and order food at a lunch counter?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I think the TSA is struggling with its core mission and are ill equipped to be expanding on it. When Arizona tried something similar, one thing that quickly emerged is that state cops were inadequately trained for the determining status.

On other parts of this forum, we've all complained about the caliber of person manning these checkpoints.

Immigration is a politically charged issue and both sides are posturing on it. My issue is frankly pragmatic. I don't want to be standing behind someone while the TSA is trying to figure out with a Mexican National with an F3 part time student visa (and appropriate Mexican ID) is allowed to board a plane to New York to participate in a school related program or whether a Canadian First Nationder is from a Treaty Tribe under the Jay Treaty of 1794 allowing them to live and work in the US without any visa.

Remember these are the guys who just a couple of months ago got in trouble because they thought a District of Columbia Driver's license was foreign:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...08b_story.html

We've talked about how many TSA agents had problems with Nexus, Sentri, and Global Entry cards as IDs. Politics aside, I think that this is a bad idea.
Well said -- only an idiot would think it's a good idea to create policies that rely on TSA agents being required to understand and manage more complexity for their success.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:17 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

The fact of the matter is the U.S. is a nation of law, and everybody has to follow it. It's as simple as that.
Of course, but what does that have to do with boarding planes? As far as I know, there is no crime that makes you ineligible to board a plane, other than serious terrorist activities that put you on a no-fly list. On what legal basis can the government stop someone from boarding a plane because of an immigration violation, especially if they are awaiting a hearing?

Until then, illegals have no business in the United States. Try to enter Mexico illegally and see what will happen to you. Good luck.
Last I checked, Mexican law wasn't valid in the US, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Originally Posted by Blogndog
But as to your point, as also has been clearly established in the earlier discussion on this thread, there is a TSA policy and a TSA procedure for allowing people to fly without ID. That policy applies equally to all travellers. You are the only one on this thread advocating that a "different standard" ought to apply to immigrants.
That policy may "apply" equally to all travellers, but it involves use of public records, which are usually obtained from credit reporting agencies. Many travellers would not have such records available, including most of the people who are the topic of this thread, plus many US citizens and legal residents.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
Of course, but what does that have to do with boarding planes? As far as I know, there is no crime that makes you ineligible to board a plane, other than serious terrorist activities that put you on a no-fly list. On what legal basis can the government stop someone from boarding a plane because of an immigration violation, especially if they are awaiting a hearing?

Last I checked, Mexican law wasn't valid in the US, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

That policy may "apply" equally to all travellers, but it involves use of public records, which are usually obtained from credit reporting agencies. Many travellers would not have such records available, including most of the people who are the topic of this thread, plus many US citizens and legal residents.
It's illegal to be in the U.S. illegally. That means entering the country without a valid visa. Is it hard to understand?

Would you support everybody boarding a plane without an ID? If so, then there's nothing to talk about here.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The 9/11 hijackers were all admitted into the US at US POEs by US governmental authorities. The US CBP predecessor agencies stamped all of them into the US, repeatedly in some cases. They traveled with valid passports. So much for ID being security.

"FAIR" is an organization with its own weird spin using xenophobic plays. It's not a very fair organization.
Whether "FAIR" is a xenophobic organization is irrelevant here. What's important is whether the information is correct regarding their 9/11 terrorists. Are you saying it's inaccurate? Is so, please point it out before you do name calling. (In fact, I see a lot of name calling here - "right wing," "xenophobic," etc. Why can't we stick to the facts? If naming call wins an argument, then we should all be name-calling. But we are debating an issue here. Name calling is a fallacy in logic.)

Many of those hijackers were in illegal status when they committed the crime. But they were still allowed to board a plane. Hard to understand?

Last edited by naumank; Sep 14, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:55 am

It's illegal to be in the U.S. illegally. That means entering the country without a valid visa. Is it hard to understand?
This response is completely irrelevant to what I wrote, and to anything else being discussed in this thread.

It's illegal to drive over 65 mph on the freeway. Therefore, if someone receives a speeding ticket, should TSA subsequently allow them to board a plane? From a legal standpoint, that's about as much sense as your argument makes.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 4:15 am

Refugees who have been given a 'notice to appear' are not in the country illegally -- why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Would you support everybody boarding a plane without an ID? If so, then there's nothing to talk about here.
It's been well established that the ID requirement exists solely as a revenue protection measure, and that it has no legitimate security purpose. I personally would enthusiastically support a prohibition against any government representative asking for ID for any purpose whatsoever.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
No, it doesn't take an AK-47. All it takes is a Knee Defender and some soda, apparently.

But I'd really like to see an unarmed bad guy actually try to take over a plane. I'd actually love to be sitting next to that guy, because I'd have a ring-side seat to the worst beating since Mike Tyson bit that guy's ear off in the ring. Any idiot who tries to take over a plane in the US, with the levels of fear that the American public seems to carry around with them 24/7, is in for the worst whoopin' he's ever heard of. He'll be lucky to still be breathing by the time the plane lands.

As long as they've showered recently and don't talk my ear off or steal my peanuts, I probably wouldn't care. After all, I'd never know who or what my seatmate was unless he sits down next to me and introduces himself, "Hi, my name is Eladio, and I'm a mid-level manager for MS-13. I've murdered seven Mexican nationals, four Mexican cops, one American tourist, and a dog down the street who wouldn't quit yapping. How are you this fine morning?"

The crux of the matter is that the information on IDs is no more reliable than the information that the illegals give to CBP, hence showing an ID to get on a plane is no more reliable a way to weed out bad people than a CBP interview with someone caught sneaking over the border.

Illusions of 'public safety' do not override the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of movement within the country to ALL people. Not just white people, not just men, not just property owners, not just citizens, but ALL people in US jurisdiction have the right to freedom of movement. That freedom can only be stripped away by due process of law, not by vague suspicions, not because they don't choose to carry ID, and certainly not because someone has been accused of a crime but hasn't yet been convicted.

It is hard to fathom how America has completely lost sight of the importance of living in a free society, vs living in a society where rights and freedoms are something that the government only grants to the people on limited, conditional, often arbitrary basis.

Actually you are not correct. Many of those terrorists were in illegal immigration status (some lied on the visa application to get legal status - which means the status was actually illegal). You can check out the facts here: http://www.fairus.org/issue/identity...-11-terrorists

The fact of the matter is the U.S. is a nation of law, and everybody has to follow it. It's as simple as that. If you want lawlessness and open border, then put it through a constitution amendment and see if it passes. Until then, illegals have no business in the United States. Try to enter Mexico illegally and see what will happen to you. Good luck.
The fact is, the US is a nation of law, and the ID requirement (not to mention the no-fly list, but that's a separate discussion) violates the highest one we have - the Constitution.

People with a notice to appear have not yet had their immigration hearing, and are thus here legally on a conditional basis, until that hearing. If the hearing judges them to be here illegally, then and only then will they be deported.

This is the law. You are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Is that so hard to understand?

Darn tootin' I would support it. Why don't you? I can only assume it's because you believe the fairy tale that "ID matters" to security in some way, which a ridiculous idea that holds no merit whatsoever.

Whether "FAIR" is a xenophobic organization is irrelevant here. What's important is whether the information is correct regarding their 9/11 terrorists. Are you saying it's inaccurate? Is so, please point it out before you do name calling. (In fact, I see a lot of name calling here - "right wing," "xenophobic," etc. Why can't we stick to the facts? If naming call wins an argument, then we should all be name-calling. But we are debating an issue here. Name calling is a fallacy in logic.)

Many of those hijackers were in illegal status when they committed the crime. But they were still allowed to board a plane. Hard to understand?
The current ID check, which doesn't check immigration status, no-fly list status, wants and warrants, credit score, or dental hygiene, would not have prevented the 9/11 hijackers from boarding the planes. It is completely, utterly useless for weeding out bad people with bad intentions from boarding the plane. Ever. Under any circumstance. It provides no security and no safety, yet it wastes a tremendous amount of time, money, and resources, while simultaneously violating the Constitutional rights of millions of people on a daily basis.

In other words, it does no good, but it does some harm.

Hard to understand?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by catocony
I'm just amazed that some people are concerned about undocumented aliens traveling on commercial planes, with no weapons or intent to do harm. Some are scared they will do "something" on a plane. Meanwhile, they don't seem to have much of an issue with an undocumented alien babysitting their children, cleaning their homes, fixing their roofs, preparing their food in restaurants, etc etc.

Very strange, modern racism in America. If migrants work for cheap and stay in their place, no problem. If a migrant sits beside you on an airplane, suddenly they're a security or health risk.
What does treatment of or attitudes toward migrants have to do with racism? The concern seems to be about people who are in the country illegally flying on planes, not people of a certain race.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by starflyer
What does treatment of or attitudes toward migrants have to do with racism? The concern seems to be about people who are in the country illegally flying on planes, not people of a certain race.
To be perfectly candid, it IS all mixed together in many peoples' minds.

Brown people who speak Spanish come across the border from Mexico to the US. This leads those who are prone to bigotry anyway to generalize that all brown people who speak Spanish are illegal aliens.

Although racism doesn't dictate my own feelings toward illegal immigration, I cannot deny that it does for many Americans. It would be foolish to deny the reality, though personally I find that my skin crawls when such bigots try to agree with me on the subject.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The fact is, the US is a nation of law, and the ID requirement (not to mention the no-fly list, but that's a separate discussion) violates the highest one we have - the Constitution.
That is just your opinion. No court has ever made that determination.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
The current ID check, which doesn't check immigration status, no-fly list status, wants and warrants, credit score, or dental hygiene, would not have prevented the 9/11 hijackers from boarding the planes.
No-fly list status is already checked in advance. The ID check is designed to make sure that the person flying has had their name compared against the list already.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cbn42
That is just your opinion. No court has ever made that determination.

No-fly list status is already checked in advance. The ID check is designed to make sure that the person flying has had their name compared against the list already.
The courts have said US persons have a right to travel, and it hasn't said that the right to travel excludes the right to travel as a passenger by air.

The current ID check -- by TDCs at the TSA screening checkpoint -- doesn't check the ID against the fly-lis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.