Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Undocumented aliens Allowed To Fly On Commericial Flights Without ID

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by susiesan
If someone with a photo ID is sick and infected and needs to be tracked down by the CDC after the flight we know who they are and where to find them.
How would you track them down? TSA does not record ID information at the checkpoint. All the TSA does is verify that the name on the boarding pass matches the ID. The other information provided to the airline could still be inaccurate.

With illegal aliens sick and infected holding only a I-862 Notice to Appear we would never find them and never know who they are or where they came from.
Even if you could, what difference would it make to find them after the fact? Other passengers would already be infected.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 20, 2014 at 12:08 am Reason: Personalizing the discussion
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:00 am

I't's neither. It's a concern about my health and having to sit next to an obviously sick and infected person no matter where they come from. The same goes for people who board planes with an active case of TB. Would you be content to sit next to them if you knew they were sick?
Having a little trouble with your chain of logic here -- you appear to be suggesting that someone who doesn't see a problem with applying the same rules to undocumented persons as apply to everyone else, (i.e., if you do not have an ID, there is a procedure to allow you to board a plane anyway, and therefore not interfere with anyone's constitutionally-protected right to travel) would somehow be content to sit next to a sick person on a plane.

The equal protection clause of course prevents the government from discriminating against any group of people, and certainly not on the basis of the possession of an identity document. Courts have agreed that travel is a form of free assembly, and therefore the government cannot restrict travel. There is not only nothing wrong with any particular individual flying without ID, it would in fact be grounds for a lawsuit if the government tried to act otherwise.

The suggestion that there is some correlation between the status of your documentation and being a disease vector is so obviously ludicrous that a response is not warranted.

Finally, of course, there is no such thing as an "illegal alien". A law cannot make a person illegal.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Wait, a person's immigration status now makes them more or less susceptible to certain diseases?

Medical breakthrough on FT! Call the CDC and AMA immediately!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Wait, a person's immigration status now makes them more or less susceptible to certain diseases?

The linked article quotes someone, who says they are also terrorists... 9/11 perpetrators had all perfectly clean immigration status, IIRC
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The linked article quotes someone, who says they are also terrorists... 9/11 perpetrators had all perfectly clean immigration status, IIRC
All of the 9/11 perpetrators had been admitted into the US by what is now CBP at US Ports of Entry -- repeatedly admittedly in some cases. That said, at least some of them had committed visa fraud or otherwise violated the terms of their visa.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Blogndog
The equal protection clause of course prevents the government from discriminating against any group of people, and certainly not on the basis of the possession of an identity document. Courts have agreed that travel is a form of free assembly, and therefore the government cannot restrict travel. There is not only nothing wrong with any particular individual flying without ID, it would in fact be grounds for a lawsuit if the government tried to act otherwise.
The TSA has stated that if you do not cooperate with them in ascertaining your identity, they have cause to deny your access airside.

Finally, of course, there is no such thing as an "illegal alien". A law cannot make a person illegal.
"Illegal alien" is the term used in the statutes.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Doesn't make the term accurate.

I suspect there are other statutes on the books that use derogatory terms for other races, religions, etc. Would you use those terms because they are in statute?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:57 pm

Where, and in what context? I am genuinely curious because it is an ambiguous term that could mean any number of things.

The term 'alien' is indeed used to refer to non-US citizens. And 'unlawful presence', 'out of status' and 'entry without inspection' are some terms used to refer to those non-citizens within the US that are in violation of immigration law, and may be in the US illegally. 'Illegal alien', as far as I know, is a colloquial term now more commonly used by those on the right to refer to undocumented immigrants in a derogatory way, and isn't generally used in a legal context.

And of course, NoMoreFlying is correct in that various statutes do indeed use derogatory terms that most of us would be incredibly uncomfortable using.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by GUWonder
All of the 9/11 perpetrators had been admitted into the US by what is now CBP at US Ports of Entry -- repeatedly admittedly in some cases. That said, at least some of them had committed visa fraud or otherwise violated the terms of their visa.
Visa fraud or violation of terms of your visa is not generally grounds to be denied boarding by the TSA.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Just as an aside, there actually is a correlation between immigration status and general health. Lawful immigrants in the US tend to be overall healthier than the general US population.

But the reason for that is very simple: most visa categories have to meet a certain standard during the health screening part of the visa process. So you're not coming to the US (as a lawful immigrant) if you fall below the required level of health.

The funny (funny sad, not funny haha) is that their health generally falls once they arrive in the US...
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:44 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, although it is an annoyingly imprecise term. Removable alien, unauthorized alien and other terms are a little more precise. Illegal alien is colloquial and isn't a term that comes up in court very much outside of SB1070 litigation.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by NoMoreFlying
Doesn't make the term accurate.

I suspect there are other statutes on the books that use derogatory terms for other races, religions, etc. Would you use those terms because they are in statute?
Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C. and then we can discuss. So it is not PC, it is "derogatory" and it is not "accurate" to use the term when talking about the law when that is a term used therein? I guess Dictionary.com, for example, needs to note such.

Where, and in what context? I am genuinely curious because it is an ambiguous term that could mean any number of things.

The term 'alien' is indeed used to refer to non-US citizens. And 'unlawful presence', 'out of status' and 'entry without inspection' are some terms used to refer to those non-citizens within the US that are in violation of immigration law, and may be in the US illegally. 'Illegal alien', as far as I know, is a colloquial term now more commonly used by those on the right to refer to undocumented immigrants in a derogatory way, and isn't generally used in a legal context.
I will show you a quick place where you can then click on the links therein to see how it is used.

Although U.S. law provides no overarching explicit definition of the term "illegal alien," the term is used in many statutes[9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17] and elsewhere (e.g., court cases, executive orders). U.S. law also uses the term "unauthorized alien."[18][19][20][21][22] U.S. immigration laws do not refer to illegal immigrants, but in common parlance the term "illegal immigrant" is often used to refer to any illegal alien.[23]

And of course, NoMoreFlying is correct in that various statutes do indeed use derogatory terms that most of us would be incredibly uncomfortable using.
Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C.?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:01 pm

The TSA has stated that if you do not cooperate with them in ascertaining your identity, they have cause to deny your access airside.
The thread isn't about unco-operative people being permitted to fly, the thread is about people without ID being permitted to fly.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 5:39 am

The thread isn't about unco-operative people being permitted to fly, the thread is about people without ID being permitted to fly.
But how can a person with just an I-862 that has just come into the country without the legal paperwork to do so and "without ID" be able to cooperate as what database that the US has to verify identity work? ("unco-operative" - was that a Freudian slip? )
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Just as an aside, there actually is a correlation between immigration status and general health. Lawful immigrants in the US tend to be overall healthier than the general US population.

But the reason for that is very simple: most visa categories have to meet a certain standard during the health screening part of the visa process. So you're not coming to the US (as a lawful immigrant) if you fall below the required level of health.

The funny (funny sad, not funny haha) is that their health generally falls once they arrive in the US...
I remember reading an article to exactly this effect a couple of years ago. Not surprised if I'm honest.

Side note, it is actually immigrant visas and only certain non-immigrants (such as fiancé visas) that undergo medical screening. Other long-term non-immigrants such as students or H-1B workers don't do this. But the point still stands.

Would you care to provide specifics of such in the U.S.C.?
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/rosas-l...ory?id=9109319

There are any number of additional examples if you were to search. As for Dictionary.com - I can't speak to how they operate or why they define things in certain ways, but I can tell you that the term is indeed increasingly considered derogatory in a way it was not even a few years ago, especially by the undocumented population.

But how can a person with just an I-862 that has just come into the country without the legal paperwork to do so and "without ID" be able to cooperate as what database that the US has to verify identity work? ("unco-operative" - was that a Freudian slip? )
This is irrelevant since the TSA does not corroborate ID information with any sort of database. It only does so with Secure Flight information, which is itself not corroborated against the ID displayed.

But in the hypothetical scenario that TSA did so.... an I-862 can and is issued to any number of immigrants, not just those who entered without inspection, and often includes those who have entered legally. In many such cases (I suspect the vast majority, given the data required to issue an I-862 in the first place), there is extensive information about such immigrants in USCIS databases. ICE chooses to actively arrest and remove only a certain number of these cases (specifically those who have committed crimes), simply because of the resources available.

I would venture that an immigrant with an I-862 is a lot more easily "identifiable" through databases and so forth than somebody who gets through TSA with nothing more than a Costco card, Library card or other non-approved ID. But again, TSA doesn't check your ID against a database so this is moot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.