Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
It's going to take a month for this "judge" to make up his mind?
Incompetence or prolongation simply for the sake of it?

Despicable, but I would expect nothing else from the TSA.
I was wondering why it should take so long to come to a decision. Would bet a dollar to a doughnut that he has already made up his mind.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
From Oregonlive... "Portland airport stripper spends five hours in federal court for 15 minutes of nudity"

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-2
My favorite part:

TSA officer Steven Van Gordon recounted that Brennan opted out of a full body scan and so was patted down instead. Brennan, who had been quiet during the security check, suddenly started narrating what was happening to him.

“I thought it a little strange,” Van Gordon said.
Narrating your patdown is already a special kind of awesome.
Old May 15, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Would bet a dollar to a doughnut that he has already made up his mind.
Long since.
Old May 15, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Random question, what if he walked thru wearing just a man thong, would that be indecent exposure or it that only when others see private parts? haha
Old May 15, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Random question, what if he walked thru wearing just a man thong, would that be indecent exposure or it that only when others see private parts? haha
Nudity is not a crime in that jurisdiction so there was no indecent exposure. The guy violated no law, he just made TSA look like the dysfunctional incompetents they are.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:59 pm

I'd be curious to know how much the taxpayers are paying to pursue this $1,000 fine against Mr. Brennan. The attorney for TSA, port of Portland officer, four TSA officials, the judge, among other courtroom employees all being paid for appearances. Not only is this pursuit against Mr. Brennan an injustice from a moral standpoint, its also a waste of our money.

If I realized when this was going to court a little sooner, I would of attended it myself and given an extended report back to FT!
Old May 15, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Nudity per se is not protected by the 1st Amendment in all instances. While there is no Federal statute banning public nudity most, if not all, States have one as do very many cities.
Can the TSA enforce city and state laws, bylaws, statutes and decrees? Wow! Why stop there? What about school rules? "Kid caught having a fag in the boys' loo - TSA caught the perp! Good catch!"
Old May 16, 2013, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd be curious to know how much the taxpayers are paying to pursue this $1,000 fine against Mr. Brennan. The attorney for TSA, port of Portland officer, four TSA officials, the judge, among other courtroom employees all being paid for appearances. Not only is this pursuit against Mr. Brennan an injustice from a moral standpoint, its also a waste of our money.

If I realized when this was going to court a little sooner, I would of attended it myself and given an extended report back to FT!

Way more than a $1,000 dollar fine would justify. This is just TSA trying to cause unnecessary pain for a person who put TSA in its place.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Way more than a $1,000 dollar fine would justify. This is just TSA trying to cause unnecessary pain for a person who put TSA in its place.
....and an all-day Kangaroo Court hearing to boot.

The TSA clearly wants their pound of flesh and to obtain a legal opinion, such as it is, that "interfering with the screening process" is anything a clerk says it is.

From the short part I read (Is a transcript available anywhere?), it sounds as if it was the TSA clerks themselves who disrupted the screening process -- swarming around the guy, closing down multiple lines, piling up bin, etc. I hope his lawyers made this point and made the lead clerks justify this level of response.

One lead clerk even asserted that his stripped to cause a distraction so bad guys could slip through the checkpoint. I hope his lawyers ripped the clerk a new one over that assertion.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
....and an all-day Kangaroo Court hearing to boot.

The TSA clearly wants their pound of flesh and to obtain a legal opinion, such as it is, that "interfering with the screening process" is anything a clerk says it is.

From the short part I read (Is a transcript available anywhere?), it sounds as if it was the TSA clerks themselves who disrupted the screening process -- swarming around the guy, closing down multiple lines, piling up bin, etc. I hope his lawyers made this point and made the lead clerks justify this level of response.

One lead clerk even asserted that his stripped to cause a distraction so bad guys could slip through the checkpoint. I hope his lawyers ripped the clerk a new one over that assertion.
In my mind the only thing that matters is that this person alarmed the TSA ETD test and immediately took steps to prove he was not a security threat.

His method might have been unconventional but it was effective and actually should have made the screening process faster. TSA should have commended this person for being proactive and assisting TSA in clearing him through the checkpoint.
Old May 21, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
From Oregonlive... "Portland airport stripper spends five hours in federal court for 15 minutes of nudity"

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-2

Looks like we won't have a decision here for another month at least.
This one has me confused, how is taking someone's clothes off a measurably distruptive activity?

“No, not until he took his clothes off,” Van Gordon said. “That is a disruptive activity.”

So acting in a way to attract attention is disruptive to the screening process? I've seen people that were more distruptive dressed then undressed.

TSA officials testified that Brennan’s nudity disrupted the screening process. They closed three lanes at the checkpoint as passengers pulled out their cell phones, some snapping videos that went viral. TSA officials quickly pushed over carts stacked with gray tubs and surrounded Brennan to hide him from view.

The cynic in me suspects that this will fly through the adminstrative court system. Then it'll start through the Article III process. If the TSA wants to claim he violated the SOP, they'll probaly claim SSI and a closed court, which I'd prefer the judge deny.
Old May 22, 2013, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbagdon
TSA officials testified that Brennan’s nudity disrupted the screening process. They closed three lanes at the checkpoint as passengers pulled out their cell phones, some snapping videos that went viral. TSA officials quickly pushed over carts stacked with gray tubs and surrounded Brennan to hide him from view.
So it was the TSA itself disrupting the process - they closed 3 lanes, etc, etc, instead of saying: "OK, man, you're good, you don't carry, please proceed" Case closed in 30 seconds.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So it was the TSA itself disrupting the process - they closed 3 lanes, etc, etc, instead of saying: "OK, man, you're good, you don't carry, please proceed" Case closed in 30 seconds.
Proximate cause (TSA) vs ultimate cause (Brennan).
Old May 22, 2013, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Proximate cause (TSA) vs ultimate cause (Brennan).
So what stopped the TSA employees to follow "my procedure" as above and forced them to disrupt the "process"? You know along the lines of minimizing damage?
Old May 22, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
So what stopped the TSA employees to follow "my procedure" as above and forced them to disrupt the "process"? You know along the lines of minimizing damage?
Professionalism. You figure out what kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.