Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

A 49-year-old Portland man was arrested on charges of indecent exposure and disorderly conduct Tuesday evening after he tried to get through security at Portland International Airport wearing his birthday suit.

According to an incident summary report from Port of Portland authorities, John E. Brennan "disrobed completely naked" while going through the security screening area for gates A, B and C about 5:35 p.m.
Read more: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._portland.html
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:34 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
First DEN and now PDX- I wonder which airport will be next?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:19 am

Location: ZRH - Zurich Switzerland. I like my local Airport. Wake-up at 0500uhr. Airside and through Security 80 minutes later after Shower, Breakfast and 10km Train ride. That is good!
Programs: Miles and More FQTV - 80% LX Swiss, 20% LH Lufthansa segments
He would still be given a Backscatter X-Ray at Manchester (MAN) though.
No opt-outs in the UK.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:18 am

This tempts me to wear a pair of jeans with lots of metal studs, a shirt with metal embellishments, and a thong.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
On the one hand, I wish more hot women would take to this form of protest. On the other hand, I feel like more creepy bearded men in their birthday suits are more likely to bring about change.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:19 am

What a ......... He exposed himself to all those kids waiting in line, so he'll get to spend the rest of his life as a registered sex offender.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
This tempts me to wear a pair of jeans with lots of metal studs, a shirt with metal embellishments, and a thong.
We've already basically figured out that the best attire is leather. Leather pants, leather shirt, leather underwear (yes it exists).
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
In a state where public nudity is constitutionally protected, and airports may be privately owned but public access (as in a mall) is assured, what's their beef? I know - the ol' "disruption" clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_nudity

In some states, such as Oregon, public nudity is legal and protected as free speech, as long as there is not the "intent to arouse".
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chucko
What a ......... He exposed himself to all those kids waiting in line, so he'll get to spend the rest of his life as a registered sex offender.
Just what the Taliban would order.

Violent programs are so much better for the children than the sight of a naked person as an artist or artist's subject. So said the Taliban.

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
In a state where public nudity is constitutionally protected, and airports may be privately owned but public access (as in a mall) is assured, what's their beef? I know - the ol' "disruption" clause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_nudity

In some states, such as Oregon, public nudity is legal and protected as free speech, as long as there is not the "intent to arouse".
Given the routine strip searching going on at US airports, the passenger-stripper is helping the TSA to get a look at the naked body without using a machine. This is a low-cost solution that meets the TSA's desire to see passengers naked.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: ABBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo

Violent programs are so much better for the children than the sight of a naked person as an artist or artist's subject. So said the Taliban.
America's a funny country with it's little quirks, live and let live.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by goalie
First DEN and now PDX- I wonder which airport will be next?
Well, I am not quite sure. I think they won't be next. He could go to jail for that. He can't have taking it off the clothes. It's very inappropriate!

Shame on him!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: *wood Gold
I sincerely hope that at least one juror out of the twelve has the common sense to realize that the guy who did this was likely doing it in protest to the TSA and their unreasonable policies - and stubbornly vote to acquit.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by clrankin
I sincerely hope that at least one juror out of the twelve has the common sense to realize that the guy who did this was likely doing it in protest to the TSA and their unreasonable policies - and stubbornly vote to acquit.
Kinda doubt it will get that far. The arrest and charges were simply a means to remove the man and defuse the situation. I suspect it will all be thrown out.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by clrankin
If this goes to trial, I hope that at least one juror is adamant to acquit a person being charged for peaceably expressing themselves artistically or politically. Freedom of expression to relay artistic or political messages is essential to liberty.

Unfortunately, the nature of fear may not necessarily work in his favor, even if keeping in mind the following quote:

While the people fear the government, there is tyranny; while the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Too many people -- jurors included -- fear the government, but not enough in a way to stand up for liberty. A prosecutor? Who knows.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:34 pm

I wonder what they'd do if you showed up to the airport in nothing but shoes and an overcoat (both of which you're required to remove before going through the gauntlet).

It would be kind of like the Australian occupiers who wore nothing but tent costumes to protest tent bans:

http://boingboing.net/2011/12/06/mel...o-look-fo.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.