Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Originally Posted by T.J. Bender
Upholding the Seventh Amendment, something the Supreme Court opted against roughly 150 years to do, would have crippled the Reconstruction-era courts and allowed for more frivolous lawsuits that we can even dream of in today's "if you don't like the answer, sue" society.
Do you have the citation for this? You've got me really curious, and I'd like to read the opinion. I've long understood that SCOTUS declined to apply the 7th amendment to the states. And since this thread is about a case that does not appear to be in federal court, I believe such a ruling would be relevant...

But your statement sounds like SCOTUS abandoned the 7th amendment entirely, and I want to clarify that I am not misunderstanding this. If so, then such precedent would be relevant to a flyer who finds himself involved in a federal lawsuit with the TSA, say if the TSA hypothetically made good on its threats to sue someone for $11,000.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
How is voir dire handled with grand juries where the same panel hears a number of cases?
Grand juries only decide whether or not to indict. There is no defense counsel present nor, as far as I know, is the voir dire.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Originally Posted by RedSnapper
Do you have the citation for this? You've got me really curious, and I'd like to read the opinion. I've long understood that SCOTUS declined to apply the 7th amendment to the states. And since this thread is about a case that does not appear to be in federal court, I believe such a ruling would be relevant...

But your statement sounds like SCOTUS abandoned the 7th amendment entirely, and I want to clarify that I am not misunderstanding this. If so, then such precedent would be relevant to a flyer who finds himself involved in a federal lawsuit with the TSA, say if the TSA hypothetically made good on its threats to sue someone for $11,000.
I don't know that it was ever expressly rejected, but I do recall Justices v. Wall (1869) taking on Seventh Amendment issues, and I'm very much certain that the current rules for Federal courts specify that the amount in question much exceed $75,000 for the case to be heard at all--jury or no jury--and the Supreme Court has never agreed to take up the issue as it relates to the $20 clause.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I don't know that it was ever expressly rejected, but I do recall Justices v. Wall (1869) taking on Seventh Amendment issues, and I'm very much certain that the current rules for Federal courts specify that the amount in question much exceed $75,000 for the case to be heard at all--jury or no jury--and the Supreme Court has never agreed to take up the issue as it relates to the $20 clause.
The $75,000 applies to cases involving "diversity jurisdiction" (i.e. - parties from different states). There is no such minimum for "federal question" cases.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by PTravel
Grand juries only decide whether or not to indict. There is no defense counsel present nor, as far as I know, is the voir dire.
"a grand jury would 'indict a ham sandwich,' if that's what you wanted."
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
oops.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: Skymiles - FO
Originally Posted by sbrower
The $75,000 applies to cases involving "diversity jurisdiction" (i.e. - parties from different states). There is no such minimum for "federal question" cases.
Agreed. I believe there is also no such minimum for cases where the the court has jurisdiction because the United States government is a plaintiff or defendant (correct me if I'm wrong). It is worth pointing out that the federal courts are courts of limited jurisdiction, unlike their counterparts in the states. But in the situations where the federal courts do have jurisdiction, I think that the 7th amendment would apply.

What is relevant in the case that started this thread is not an amendment in the bill of rights itself, but the extent to which the provisions of that amendment have been applied to the states (incorporation) by federal precedent via the 14th amendment. The $20 part of the 7th amendment has not been applied to the states; can you imagine the effect on small claims if it had been? While the fines at stake in this case are probably more than 20 bucks, this still appears to be just another indecent exposure case, brought by the state, under state law, with no federal entities as parties in the case (TSA not a plaintiff or defendant, just a possible witness).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
That would hopelessly back up the court system. It could take over five years to get a trial in some jurisdictions if every single violation received trial by jury, or we could just spend even more money we literally don't have on tripling the capacity of the courts.

All criminal defendants should have the right to trial by jury. People pulled over for speeding, stopped for jaywalking, or given some other non-criminal citation still get their trial, but it's in front of a judge, which saves time and money.
Your post brings another important point to mind: With that kind of backlog, think of all the indigent defendants accused of real crimes and misdemeanors (which they may or may not have committed but have not been convicted of) who will spend significant time incarcerated as a result. Think about it, this change in the system, which some here favor, could easily have someone sitting in jail for months on a charge for which they might be sentenced to 60 days at most. Our system isn't perfect, but this scenario takes the injustice to an entirely new level.

Oh, and for those who would propose prioritizing different cases differently, let me say this: just. won't. happen. Why? Because I'll probably have a better lawyer, with more pull, representing me in my traffic violation trial than many accused of violent crime so will still probably have preference when it comes to scheduling (as well as taking a lawyer who might take another pro bono case out of the running for one more day since they're representing me on some stupid traffic citation).
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Your post brings another important point to mind: With that kind of backlog, think of all the indigent defendants accused of real crimes and misdemeanors (which they may or may not have committed but have not been convicted of) who will spend significant time incarcerated as a result. Think about it, this change in the system, which some here favor, could easily have someone sitting in jail for months on a charge for which they might be sentenced to 60 days at most. Our system isn't perfect, but this scenario takes the injustice to an entirely new level.

Oh, and for those who would propose prioritizing different cases differently, let me say this: just. won't. happen. Why? Because I'll probably have a better lawyer, with more pull, representing me in my traffic violation trial than many accused of violent crime so will still probably have preference when it comes to scheduling (as well as taking a lawyer who might take another pro bono case out of the running for one more day since they're representing me on some stupid traffic citation).
When it comes to scheduling criminal matters your better lawyer won't make much difference. There are speedy trial rules. Also, depending on the court, the judge might actually make you wait an extra day or two (while sitting in the courthourse) because of annoyance with your traffic case.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
He had his day in court today. Outcome still to be determined.

Portland man who stripped at PDX airport testifies TSA is 'close to seeing us naked'
Old Jul 18, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
He had his day in court today. Outcome still to be determined.

Portland man who stripped at PDX airport testifies TSA is 'close to seeing us naked'
I wonder how a subpoena for a full resolution image from the backscatter would be looked at.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Not Guilty!

Portland man who stripped naked at airport is acquitted of public indecency charge

A Multnomah County judge has acquitted a Northeast Portland man of a public indecency charge for stripping naked at Portland International Airport security.

Judge David Rees said 50-year-old John E. Brennan was indeed stripping in protest of what Brennan saw as invasive Transportation Safety Administration screening procedures.

"It is the speech itself that the state is seeking to punish, and that it cannot do," Rees said.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: Ham Sandwich Medallion
Some judge just guaranteed himself resolution searches for life. Worth it, though.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:54 pm

^^^
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Portland man who stripped naked at airport is acquitted of public indecency charge

A Multnomah County judge has acquitted a Northeast Portland man of a public indecency charge for stripping naked at Portland International Airport security.

Judge David Rees said 50-year-old John E. Brennan was indeed stripping in protest of what Brennan saw as invasive Transportation Safety Administration screening procedures.

"It is the speech itself that the state is seeking to punish, and that it cannot do," Rees said.
And a victory for us ^. Albeit a small one but it has to start with baby steps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.