Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
In a state that allows public nudity, TSA is going to lose in the end.
How could the TSA lose anything in his end? He was naked, after all ...
Old May 13, 2013, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Nudity per se is not protected by the 1st Amendment in all instances. While there is no Federal statute banning public nudity most, if not all, States have one as do very many cities.
Happily, it took place in a state that does not ban or outlaw it, for the most part. I believe he's already had one ruling in his favour on those grounds.

Far from cut and dry and the ALJ won't even hear the 1st Amendment argument, so that can't be part of any appeal. All the TSA has to do is demonstrate that Brennan interfered with the screening process and, much as I despise the TSA, that's a no-brainer. He clearly did.
I thnk it's more interesting than that.

In the next court he can't argue that he had a constitutional right to be nude/protest, but he can say that because nudity isn't illegal in OR he is allowed to be nude and he didn't cause any disruption. The fact of being nude does not cause disruption in and of itself. It's just potentially a bit chilly.

I think it actually presents a small problem for TSA to argue disruption or interference given the Federal govt is pretty much silent on nudity and he complied with the screening process. The reaction of others (pax or TSA staff) to a lawful state of dress (or lack thereof) is beyond his control and in a state that allows nudity is to be expected from time to time.

That said, yes, I would expect the ALJ to find against him anyway.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
How could the TSA lose anything in his end? He was naked, after all ...
I have great confidence in the TSA managing to lose it or do it wrong or simply claim it was SSI. I'm surprised they haven't tried that yet with security tapes.
Old May 13, 2013, 3:07 pm

In the next court he can't argue that he had a constitutional right to be nude/protest, but he can say that because nudity isn't illegal in OR he is allowed to be nude and he didn't cause any disruption. The fact of being nude does not cause disruption in and of itself. It's just potentially a bit chilly.

I think it actually presents a small problem for TSA to argue disruption or interference given the Federal govt is pretty much silent on nudity and he complied with the screening process. The reaction of others (pax or TSA staff) to a lawful state of dress (or lack thereof) is beyond his control and in a state that allows nudity is to be expected from time to time.
If it really was that chilly at the checkpoint, I'd expect that it was the passenger who had the small problem ...
Old May 13, 2013, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
If it really was that chilly at the checkpoint, I'd expect that it was the passenger who had the small problem ...
"Would Sir care for a blanket? A sock, perhaps?"
Old May 13, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$1000 apparently.
Ya got me there, pilgrim!
Old May 14, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
[QUOTE=Wally Bird;20744550]Far from cut and dry and the ALJ won't even hear the 1st Amendment argument, so that can't be part of any appeal. /QUOTE]

I agree the Administrative Law Judge won't consider it, but I am not necessarily sure the appellate court won't. But I am too lazy to do the research.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Far from cut and dry and the ALJ won't even hear the 1st Amendment argument, so that can't be part of any appeal.
I agree the Administrative Law Judge won't consider it, but I am not necessarily sure the appellate court won't. But I am too lazy to do the research.
AIUI the 1st Amendment aspect will not even be admissible at the TSA hearing, and not that the ALJ would reject it.

Perhaps that (exclusion of pertinent content) could be a basis for appeal; I can't see anything else being.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AIUI the 1st Amendment aspect will not even be admissible at the TSA hearing, and not that the ALJ would reject it.

Perhaps that (exclusion of pertinent content) could be a basis for appeal; I can't see anything else being.
How about a conflict of interest? The ALJ is an employee of DHS.
Old May 14, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
"Would Sir care for a blanket? A sock, perhaps?"
Forget the $1,000. If they really wanted to get to the guy, they would have offered him a thimble.

Mike
Old May 14, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How about a conflict of interest? The ALJ is an employee of DHS.
While that certainly stinks, it's not grounds for an appeal unless the ALJ can be shown to have been prejudicial at the hearing. Which is obviously a matter of opinion.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1503/subpart-G
Old May 14, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While that certainly stinks, it's not grounds for an appeal unless the ALJ can be shown to have been prejudicial at the hearing. Which is obviously a matter of opinion.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/1503/subpart-G
I don't see how any claim to being impartial can be upheld if the ALJ is paid by the people fining the citizen. They may appear to be above board, the ALJ may be as honest as the day is long, but in the end the ALJ draws his/her marching orders from DHS.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I don't see how any claim to being impartial can be upheld if the ALJ is paid by the people fining the citizen. They may appear to be above board, the ALJ may be as honest as the day is long, but in the end the ALJ draws his/her marching orders from DHS.
Winner winner, but you don't get no chicken dinner because this is just too damn obvious.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:14 am

From Oregonlive... "Portland airport stripper spends five hours in federal court for 15 minutes of nudity"

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-2

Looks like we won't have a decision here for another month at least.
Old May 15, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by redtigeriii
From Oregonlive... "Portland airport stripper spends five hours in federal court for 15 minutes of nudity"

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...incart_m-rpt-2

Looks like we won't have a decision here for another month at least.
It's going to take a month for this "judge" to make up his mind?
Incompetence or prolongation simply for the sake of it?

Despicable, but I would expect nothing else from the TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.