Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Naked man arrested at Portland International Airport after disrobing at security

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Orion
If the TSA agent became aroused the charge goes from a misdemeanor to a felony.
They would have to show intent, which clearly there was none of in that respect.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
TSA takes this to a civil suit and wins! Brennan now owes $500.

http://www.local10.com/judge-sides-w...d-man/25321796

Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:06 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"I will not pay a fine to make this go away," he said.

Brennan plans to appeal.

Good! It would be great to see the legality of these uncivil fines challenged and found wanting at a higher level.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:23 am

There's report at TSA News that because Brennan took a stand against the TSA he lost his job.

http://tsanewsblog.com/13329/news/jo...#disqus_thread
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
See, that's the difference between this guy and me. If I had taken my clothes off at the airport, they would have paid me a lot more than $500 to put them back on.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
"I will not pay a fine to make this go away," he said.

Brennan plans to appeal.

Good! It would be great to see the legality of these uncivil fines challenged and found wanting at a higher level.
^^^^^

One of the comments under this story was right on the money:

Another judge sides with the government over an individual's right to protest yet, we keep up the hypocrisy that this is a free country.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:41 pm

From Administrative Law Judge George Jordan's decision in the Brennan case:

“Respondent’s actions in stripping and dropping his clothes on the floor and refusing to comply with TSO Nichols and TSO Van Gordon’s directions, however, constituted interference with their duties. TSA screening procedures required the TSOs to conduct a secondary screening due to the ETD alarm indicating nitrates were present. By dropping his clothes on the floor, Respondent presented an actual hindrance to the accomplishment of that task.
How does dropping ones clothes to the floor hinder a secondary screening? The screeners could see that he wasn't carrying a bomb. The judge seems to have made himself look foolish.

I do think, however, we have heard this before from the TSA: put your clothes back on so you can be patted down.

http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-conten...n-2apr2014.pdf
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1

How does dropping ones clothes to the floor hinder a secondary screening? The screeners could see that he wasn't carrying a bomb. The judge seems to have made himself look foolish.

I do think, however, we have heard this before from the TSA: put your clothes back on so you can be patted down.

You pat down clothes. You can't pat down over clothes when there are none.

Never mind that you don't need to pat down anymore...
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! -- Is this a Kangaroo Court or what???
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Kangaroos are noble and intelligent* creatures who do not deserve to be insulted by being compared to this judge.

*Okay, not very noble or really intelligent, but better than this.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most ALJ's are fair minded individuals who try to do the right thing. Some are just shills for the government.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120
Most ALJ's are fair minded individuals who try to do the right thing. Some are just shills for the government.
I'm just venting... They are well-suited (especially these ones who are Coast Guard-employed ALJ's) to deal with a drunken boater, somebody who sails without enough lifejackets, or somebody who disputes a speeding ticket on a military base, but, we are dealing with some real Constitutional and government over-reach issues. (Sorry -- preaching to the choir!)
Old Jul 7, 2014, 5:51 am

Found this here:

The Coast Guard ALJ in this case, George J. Jordan, was previously the chief administrator of the Coast Guard ALJ office and legal advisor to the Chief Coast Guard ALJ. He was named as a defendant along with the Chief ALJ and others in three related lawsuits (Dresser v. Ingolia, Elsik v. Ingolia, and Rogers v. Ingolia) brought by mariners who were the subject of Coast Guard enforcement actions. The plaintiffs alleged that “Coast Guard administrative law judges, clerks, and other staff [including Jordan] conspired to ‘fix’ administrative proceedings...

In 2010, after all three cases against him had been dismissed (on jurisdictional and immunity grounds which were eventually upheld by Circuit Courts, without fact-finding on the substantive allegations), Jordan returned to the Coast Guard and was appointed as a Coast Guard ALJ, a promotion from his former position as an advisor and administrator for the ALJs. At the time, some maritime lawyers specializing in practice before Coast Guard ALJs complained that Jordan’s appointment as an ALJ showed at least the appearance of a lack of concern by the Coast Guard for the probity of its ALJs and the integrity of their proceedings.”
Old Jul 7, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More on This Guy

Found this here:
He has a past...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:52 pm

How long before being naked is compulsory?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.