Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by DillMan
I could care less about the content, but I would certainly be inclined to say something if you decide to watch anything with the volume on while I'm trying to read.
Sooo true. I love the vacationers who just NOW discovered Angry Birds and pay it the entire flight with max volume!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Or an Amway ring binder.
Or its alternate name "worldwide"
Old May 1, 2012, 10:49 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with reading books about plane.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
A friend subscribed me to Airways as a gift. Sadly, I try to read it at home or on the train (and not in the air) to avoid unwanted scrutiny. As for train pr0n, I've had no problem reading that on any mode. Very frequently on Amtrak, I see train fans reading train lit, which often leads to friendly conversation with the crew. ^

The only big issue on the rails, as at airports, has been the fatwa against First Amendment-protected photography by paranoid, power-tripping employees or LEOs (or outright unconstitutional bans by transit agencies). The problem isn't as bad as it was a few years ago thanks to some effective litigation largely led by an ex-railroad attorney.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
A friend subscribed me to Airways as a gift. Sadly, I try to read it at home or on the train (and not in the air) to avoid unwanted scrutiny. ...
Why would you restrict where you're reading the magazine? I read Flying and have no problem reading it on board, and would have no problem telling a passenger or crew member to butt out if they objected.

As for crew, I dare them to call the authorities to meet me at landing because I'm ready Flying Magazine or Airliners and refuse to put it away - go right ahead. It's for moments like this that I value my social friendship with a like-minded attorney.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why would you restrict where you're reading the magazine? I read Flying and have no problem reading it on board, and would have no problem telling a passenger or crew member to butt out if they objected.
Because reading about the method of transport you're on is so blasé. Read Trains while in the car, Airliners on a train and Motor Trend on a plane. Now that's hip!
Old May 3, 2012, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Because reading about the method of transport you're on is so blasé. Read Trains while in the car, Airliners on a train and Motor Trend on a plane. Now that's hip!
Seriously, there is a long-time and respected FT member who had a UA flight attendant freak out because his computer wallpaper was a photo of a 757 taking off.
Old May 3, 2012, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
A few years ago, I was on AA, HNL-LAX in F on a 763. Seat next to me (center section) was empty. Mid way through the flight, the pilot sits next to me (I assumed it was his rest break), chats me up, asks about my computer ( I was playing Microsoft Flight Simulator, flying a 767.). About 15 minutes later, he goes back to the front office. Very nicely handled (assuming he had been informed of something suspicious).
Old May 4, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Seriously, there is a long-time and respected FT member who had a UA flight attendant freak out because his computer wallpaper was a photo of a 757 taking off.
Now you know why I try to keep my head down. I have nothing to hide and no problem standing up for myself, but I also like to pick my battles (or pick which ones I'm more likely to face).
Old May 4, 2012, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I have nothing to hide...

Being over analytical here, but if you use privacy in any way, this is bs - as it is for any privacy appreciating human soul - privacy IS hiding.
Old May 4, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Travelsonic
Being over analytical here, but if you use privacy in any way, this is bs - as it is for any privacy appreciating human soul - privacy IS hiding.
I appreciate that point and definitely find the "nothing to hide" argument asinine vis-a-vis citizens' privacy rights against government intrusion. What I'm talking about is my interactions with private employees of whatever business I'm patronizing on their property. In other words, if an FA wants to question my reading materials, I'm happy to explain my pure motives. But I'd just rather not risk freaking out an overly sensitive FA. Good?
Old May 7, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles

Last edited by danpass; May 7, 2012 at 10:18 am
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: DL platinum, AS MVP gold
Just wow.........
I take yearly trips to the National Fire Academy in Emmetsburg, Md (IAD) and /or the Center for Domestic Prepardness in Aniston, Al (ATL) as part of my Fire Chief job.
Glad no one was looking overly shoulder reading my class material!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Well, it seems I had better stop checking out gunbroker.com or the specials on tactical equipment (I use tactical flashlights and have one on the plane in my backpack) at dvor.com on flights with WiFi.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: All of them...
Originally Posted by danielonn
I am going to download Air Crash Investigations/Mayday and watch it on my laptop with sound on and see what happens. Or if I watch Airline or other episodes about airplanes will I get kicked off? Lets all download and watch Mayday Air Crash Investigation and see what takes place. Find ones that were on the airline you are flying.
After watching ACI/Mayday, I just can't fly anymore... Scared.......

PS but I have watched a movie on the Entebbe hijacking on a flight to TLV, but nobody saw......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.