Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't read books about airplanes while on an airplane.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: United 2P
[QUOTE=

Good point. I'm going to look for an offensive movie to load on my Ipad tonight. Anybody have any recommendations?[/QUOTE]

United 93

Air Force One

Con Air
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Allan38103
The crew asked the guy about what he was reading.
The guy answered.
The plane took off.

The end.
Did you miss the part where they called the plane back to the gate and deplaned?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What's the stewardesses story?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
What's the stewardesses story?
I don't know. Shall we rewind to 1974 and ask her?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mintirish
United 93

Air Force One

Con Air
How about one of the Airport Disaster movies?

You could also bring the book featured in the Top Gear race from Alba to London, entitled Plane of Death, with a burning Cessna on its cover.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exbayern
I don't know. Shall we rewind to 1974 and ask her?
Given the story we've heard I wouldn't describe her as a flight safety professional.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 11:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I remember seeing the movie Executive Decision (1996), on a flight on aa, it was one of the choices in their in flight entertainment system. The plot has to do with a plane being used as a weapon, loaded with nerve gas, which the terrorists who hijacked the plane plan to crash it into Washington, DC. Per Janet Maslins review in the NY Times, after its release: This itself is a good, taut movie for red-meat action audiences, but it's not one you will be seeing on an airliner. Not ever.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Obviously the police can ask almost any question, but what would have happened if the passenger told them, "It's none of your business what I'm reading," or even better, "I am exercising my right to remain silent."

Can the police legitimately take any action against you based on what they suspect you are reading or your refusal to answer questions on the topic?

I would think that would be a huge lawsuit, and the police would lose or be forced to settle - am I incorrect?

This makes me want to carry around some inflammatory/suspicious literature in hopes of provoking an incident.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Obviously the police can ask almost any question, but what would have happened if the passenger told them, "It's none of your business what I'm reading," or even better, "I am exercising my right to remain silent."

Can the police legitimately take any action against you based on what they suspect you are reading or your refusal to answer questions on the topic?
Exactly. This part of the account is perhaps the scariest --

After a couple of minutes he says, "Why, this is all Snoopy Red Baron stuff..."

Me: "Yes sir, actually the triplane you see is Italian, from 1921 a little after World War 1..."

Policeman: "No problem here then, you can go on back on to the plane, sorry to inconvenience you...and have a nice flight".
So what kind of book would have caused a problem then? Why would the cop ask to see what he was reading if it didn't matter? Presumably, the cop asked because there may have been a book that did cause a problem.

I suppose that the flight captain has ultimate discretion as to who flies on his plane, and he could have said he was not comfortable with Mr. Gilbert on his flight. Sounds like good grounds for a lawsuit against the captain and against United (or the flight operator) if that did happen.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by saulblum
So what kind of book would have caused a problem then? Why would the cop ask to see what he was reading if it didn't matter? Presumably, the cop asked because there may have been a book that did cause a problem.
If he had a book on more modern aircraft, would he have been removed or arrested? That's scary that you can have the police called because of a book. That can't be comfortable getting back on the plane either. Everybody else is likely angry towards this passenger for the delay and it really was the airline's fault. I doubt the crew explained the real reason for the delay.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by mintirish
United 93

Air Force One

Con Air
Speaking of Con Air, that is what we're headed to. Soon you will not be allowed any carry on, you'll be strapped in to your seat, and if you complain they'll put one of those mouth guards on you. The sheeple will cheer and say "Well, if it keeps me safe....".
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: United 2P
Originally Posted by 14940674
How about one of the Airport Disaster movies?

You could also bring the book featured in the Top Gear race from Alba to London, entitled Plane of Death, with a burning Cessna on its cover.
I forgot about Die Hard 2 - watch that on flights to/from Dulles
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
What about reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Win-Stra...ref=pd_sim_b_8
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
I wonder what they would do if they saw me watching Air Crash Investigation on my iPad...
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Did UA give him compensation because FAs working under UAs name screwed this guy? They should pay for his car rental and compensate him for a half day of work. Only fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.