Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Angry

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Even if we dislike the IRS, EPA, etc.... They do not try and steal our belongings, look at us naked, grope us, etc.
Originally Posted by TSORon
Another dive head-long into the pool of hyperbole.
... and a race to the timer pad of documented fact.

Steal our belongings? There was a news item this month of a year-long effort at EWR of TSOs stealing $100 bills from travelers, and giving the finger to the TSA cameras.

Look at us naked? The NoSs are specifically documented as generating photos of the unclothed body. The #1 synonym for "unclothed" is "naked."

Grope? There are multiple stories of TSOs conducting the "enhanced" pat-down with intrusive squeezing of sensitive areas.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Re: gatelouse's contact list of airlines above...

Hoovers.com is usually a good source for updated info on corporate heads of businesses and mailing addresses. Anyone who has a paid membership (or signs up for the free trial) can get email addresses. However, this ought to get us started.

American Airlines, Inc.
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155-2605
Phone: 817-963-1234
Fax: 817-967-2841
Presidents: Peter M. Bowler, Robert J. Friedman

Delta Airlines, Inc.
1030 Delta Blvd.
Atlanta, GA 30320
Phone: 404-715-2600
Fax: 404-715-5042
Chairman: Daniel Carp
CEO and Director: Richard Anderson

Frontier Airlines, Inc.
7001 Tower Road
Denver, CO 80249
Phone: 720-374-4200
Fax: 720-374-4375
Chairman, President & CEO: Bryan Bedford

Southwest Airlines Company
2072 Love Field Dr.
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: 214-792-4000
Fax: 214-792-5015
Chairman, President & CEO: Gary Kelly

US Airways Group, Inc.
111 W. Rio Salado Pkwy.
Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone: 480-693-0800
Chairman & CEO: W. Douglas Parker

United Continental Holdings
77 W. Wacker Dr.
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 312-997-8000
Chairman: Glenn Tilton
President, CEO and Director: Jeffery Smisek

Oh, and - here's some verbiage to start off those who'd like to direct missives to these folks. You might want to attach whatever correspondence you sent to your elected reps.

Dear Sir,

Attached please find a copy of correspondence I recently shared with my elected representatives. Since the issue of airline security is one that directly affects the financial health and well being of airlines such as your own, I feel you ought to be informed there is a groundswelling movement directed at stopping the Federal Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) from gross abuses of the person and effects of those who choose to travel via aircraft.

Until such time as TSA’s processes are reviewed by Congress and the courts, I personally intend to dramatically reduce the frequency and distance (cost) of airline trips I purchase for leisure travel. I feel that the currently required invasion of my privacy necessitates this step. Along with this invasion, of course, has come a requirement to invest noticeably more time, money and mental suffering in the need to arrive several hours early for a flight, and in contemplation of what is now an increasingly likely chance I will be significantly delayed or caused to miss my scheduled departure.

It is my understanding the TSA now shoulders costs and legal responsibilities formerly borne by the airlines in screening passengers, thus the hesitance by airline executives in helping to address these issues. However, I feel the bottom line of America’s air travel companies may at some point be affected by the hesitance of customers to purchase airline travel, given the increased costs via government intervention in what should be the private affairs of common people.

Signed,
Divemistress
[AA/DL/F9/WN/UN/US Frequent Flyer number]

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 29, 2010 at 7:49 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Skyteam, BR, GA, EK, VX, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IC
Michael goes to CNN..

Was just on... Michael Roberts talks on CNN about suing TSA..

Last edited by General_Flyer; Oct 27, 2010 at 9:24 am Reason: Name fixing
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Was just on... Michael Rogers talks on CNN about suing TSA..
Good.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Michael might win one but I'm betting it will only apply to crews, not passengers.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Michael might win one but I'm betting it will only apply to crews, not passengers.
A step in the right direction is still welcome.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not necessarily. It will give a court a chance to determine whether the "enhanced pat-down" and WBI are sufficiently non-intrusive as to fall within an administrative search.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PTravel
Not necessarily. It will give a court a chance to determine whether the "enhanced pat-down" and WBI are sufficiently non-intrusive as to fall within an administrative search.
It would be interesting if Nappy got pulled in front of the cameras to talk about this. Any body want to bet the she would say the same that Kippy wool say on tv to justify the liquid carnival? "they are there to kill us. If we don't do this, then........."
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by General_Flyer
Was just on... Michael Roberts talks on CNN about suing TSA..
very good....
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
What it comes down to is that the public will decide whether these scanners stay or go, and it'll happen relatively soon. I intend to do my part to see that they go sooner rather than later.
That's exactly right, which is why I am, and everyone who gets it should also be working franticly to get people caught up with the truth about what is happening. Just keep saying it over and over to anyone who will listen. The gubment camel's nose is inside the tent flap, and if we don't push it back out now, I'm afraid we're screwed in this land.

My legal team and I had some discussion about this early on. Obviously, flight crews only would have been the easier one to win. But if my career is toast, as many seem to believe, than what do I care about flight crew screening? Anyway, it's never been about that for me anyway. I don't want my wife or kids or anyone else to ever have to be mistreated in this way. We are being terrorized by our own government. I don't know any other way to say it. This is not about security, and if subjecting the guy who's about to sit down at the controls with a sharpened crash axe to this draconian madness doesn't make that clear, I don't know what else will. These goons aren't there to protect you from terrorists - they're protecting the state from you!

Rise up while you still can or else this whole conversation is going to go dark and we're going to be in for a very unpleasant future. I truly see this as the last, or at least one of our last opportunities to ward off the tyranny that is crouching at our door.

I'm using facebook as my central point of communication now, btw. I'll still check in here, but look me up as Michael S. Roberts.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SpatialD
We are being terrorized by our own government. I don't know any other way to say it.
Me, neither. If only everyone could see as clearly as we do.

Bruce
Old Oct 27, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
Concur.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It would be interesting if Nappy got pulled in front of the cameras to talk about this.
I would prefer to see her on the stand under oath explaining why she Opted Out.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
These goons aren't there to protect you from terrorists - they're protecting the state from you!
This needs a slew of underlines and exclamation points.

Seriously, the more scared government can make the populace, the more totalitarian behavior they can get away with. It really is just about that simple.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SpatialD
We are being terrorized by our own government. I don't know any other way to say it.
Originally Posted by bdschobel

Bruce
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Concur.
i don't live in the US anymore but i completely agree with you guys....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.