Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Glad to hear that things are starting to go in your direction, Michael! Hopefully more pilots will join with you!! ^^^
The problem is that while the pilots will likely win, we all will continue to lose, as the pinheads at TSA will never back down on this policy for the public.

Given the apparent growing anger by parents about their children being groped, I gotta wonder if the TSA is going to be the new job of choice for your local neighborhood pedophile. Get to grope kids and it's legal!

Some travelers are also livid about how children are being screened. During a trip last Sunday by a father and son through Orlando airport in Florida, the 8-year-old boy was selected for extra screening by TSA after going through the metal detector.

The father said the officer described the procedure before conducting it. Then he patted down the boy in the open security area, using the backside of his hands to check his genital area, he said.

"I didn't think it was going to be as horrible as he was describing," said the boy's father, Bill, who works as a lobbyist in Washington and did not want his full name used.

"We spend my child's whole life telling him that only mom, dad and a doctor can touch you in your private area, and now we have to add TSA agent and that's just wrong," he told Reuters. "At some point the terrorists have won."
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
Posted on my FB page.
Thanks, coach.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
The problem is that while the pilots will likely win, we all will continue to lose, as the pinheads at TSA will never back down on this policy for the public.
And I wrote the piece above specifically to address this. My job is no longer the issue for me - like you, it's the public policy I'm concerned with. And I don't see any other solution than the one I described, do you? Is it just not worth it? Should we just give in now and kiss our rights and liberty goodbye?

You can be sure they'll be backing off of pilots very soon - sacrifice the battle to win the war. At that point, I'll still be with you, but many of my colleagues will move on, content just to be able to get to work and possibly even enjoying their status among the ranks who will still be lording it over you. What will YOU do then?
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:45 am

Here is my opinion

I am sorry that this happened to you. If I was an airline employee in your situation I would have went through the first screening without any questions since this is part of my job and I know that the TSA should be spending their times on questionable passengers and not someone like me who went through a stringent background check for secondary screening. I have no time to waste as I need to report to work by a certain time.

But since you opted for a secondary screening I too would be violated by having to undress which is why I would much rather prefer option 1.

I hope the case goes well for you.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

FINALLY!!!

Sorry! I had no idea this would take so long, folks. We decided to handle our own communications on this 'cause you and everyone else have a right to know, and people need to know.

You can read about the other pilot I mentioned above here.

Please send this out to the rest of the world.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
This is what it is all about:

TSA approved the crew pass some time ago but it is up to the company or union to implement it. A short time fix would be to continue using the wands and only pat down the area that alarms. I was told by TSA that would not be happening as there is too much big money involved with the body scanner.
This came from

http://fedupflyers.org/2010/11/168/

and highlighting in the quote was mine.

Chertoff and his gang of lobbyists making money out of NoSs.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Another Pilot Rejects TSA's Abuse

I mentioned this on another thread, but thought it was worth starting a new one for anyone not following along there.

Pilot Ann Poe Prevented From Entering Airport in Ft. Lauderdale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:37 pm

Remember, what is happening now is just a small, mostly uncoordinated reaction to the new TSA policies. If we can keep up the pressure, keep asking passengers to report their negative experiences to the media in an honest and articulate manner, tell their congresspeople, and complain to the airlines; then TSA will have no alternative except to capitulate.

Last edited by IslandBased; Nov 12, 2010 at 1:42 pm
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by SpatialD
You can read about the other pilot I mentioned above here.

Please send this out to the rest of the world.
I've spread the word to several other sites. ^
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
It would seem to be a very short path from having an incident occur, to having a mental-health professional declare the incident traumatizing, then submitting a request for short- and/or long-term disability.

The question is... would the insurance company approve the request for disability payments?

Is the defense going to be that certain classes of employees (airline, "road warriors", etc) must submit to administrative searches, or find other employment? If you didn't go through the search and bailed, did a traumatizing event occure? If you went through the search after being told what would happen, is the traumatized responsible? Defense is going to put up a big fight, when green-dollars come into play.

What a mess...

Last edited by sbagdon; Nov 12, 2010 at 2:20 pm
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Something in the content on fedupflyers.org is causing it to be blocked at our company.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Wow everyday more momentum and uproar over the abuses by TSA. SpatialD you I believe, were the first pilot to take a stand and now look at the others you've inspired. Congrats!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbagdon
It would seem to be a very short path from having an incident occur, to having a mental-health professional declare the incident traumatizing, then submitting a request for short- and/or long-term disability.

The question is... would the insurance company approve the request for disability payments?

Is the defense going to be that certain classes of employees (airline, "road warriors", etc) must submit to administrative searches, or find other employment? If you didn't go through the search and bailed, did a traumatizing event occure? If you went through the search after being told what would happen, is the traumatized responsible? Defense is going to put up a big fight, when green-dollars come into play.

What a mess...
Workers' compensation insurance is a wonderful thing. No liability is necessary. Simply a demonstration of an injury that occurs in the course and scope of one's employment. If the injury/disability prevents you from working, you are generally entitled to collect indemnity payments which cover your lost time at work. It can also result in a payment for permanent injury and retraining if you cannot return to your previous position.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by N965VJ
I've spread the word to several other sites. ^
same here....^^
Old Nov 12, 2010, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by JObeth66
Workers' compensation insurance is a wonderful thing. No liability is necessary. Simply a demonstration of an injury that occurs in the course and scope of one's employment. If the injury/disability prevents you from working, you are generally entitled to collect indemnity payments which cover your lost time at work. It can also result in a payment for permanent injury and retraining if you cannot return to your previous position.
Workman's Compensation is not a wonderful thing. Trust me I know from personal experience after i messed up my back on the job. The WC system is so messed up its not even funny as its so full of red tape, back asswards logic and plain BS, dont get me started as WC ranks up with TSA in things that really piss me off.

The TIB or temporary income benefit for injured works is not the same as your normal compensation for your job. the TIB is normally 70% of your pay over the previous 13 weeks prior to the injury it varies state to state.

For example in Texas its 70% of your pay averaged over the previous 13 weeks to a max of $773 a week. So if your a high income earner your screwed. That is what happened to me because I maxed out when i messed up my back so my TIB was way less then 70% of my average paycheck and it put a massive hurt on things to the point I almost lost my car and had to give up my apartment. Beyond my normal paycheck taking a hit, I also lost out on more then 60K i would have made on side jobs/projects due to the injury i sustained. WC is very slow to approve or do anything, yes you are entitled to reasonable treatment but it takes forever to get anything approved or done. From the time of my injury to the point they finally approved my surgery was 9 months, then after surgery even more months of physical therapy to regain strength in muscles that wasted away in the 9 months prior to surgery. This is only one of many issues one would face during a WC claim.

The WC system is not there to help or protect the worker, you just end up getting screwed over massively in the process. I have told many co-workers that if they got hurt on the job to suck it up till there shift is over then take care of it on there own dime as you will get your care and back on your feet much sooner, that and if you file for WC no short term or long term policy will payout on WC its written into the law, so if you where thinking you would get a double pay out your SOL.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:29 pm

In many states the mental health laws for work comp are not the same as for physical injuries. If you were mentally harmed by the normal actions of others in the course of employment, or the good-faith actions of others, then you may have no claim.

I'll pass on debating the meaning of "normal".

Cali

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.