Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wimpie
Another boost for Mr Roberts:

In praise of Michael Roberts, body-scan rebel

http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_...erts_body_scan
^^
Great story from the article (my highlight):

Here's another, more recent story of something I encountered at a major airport: I was commuting to work in my uniform pants and shoes, but wearing a civilian shirt. When I tried walking through the detector with my shoes on, I was flagged by a guard. Without so much as looking at me she asked -- no, that's not the right word, she demanded -- that I take my shoes off.

When I tried to show her my ID and credentials, she would have none of it. "You ain't in full uniform! That's the rule! You gotta be in full uniform to keep your shoes on."

I offered to show her my work shirt, which was right there in my bag, but she only scolded me further.

When I told her that I would remove the shirt and actually put it on, thus meeting the full uniform criteria, well that just set her off even more. "You ain't puttin' it on here, I can tell you that!" she fumed. "You go put it on in the bathroom!"

I didn't realize TSA had the authority to tell me where and how I might get dressed, but I held my tongue. Instead, I politely, if frustratedly asked for an explanation as to why my shirt was apparently more important than my ID and FAA licenses. She ignored me and wouldn't give me one.

So I asked again, and she continued to ignore me.

And so I asked a third time, at which point she began yelling: "DISRUPTIVE PASSENGER!!! DISRUPTIVE PASSENGER!!! HEY I GOT A DISRUPTIVE PASSENGER OVER HERE!!! DISRUUUUUUUUUPTIVVVVVE PAAAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEENGEEERRR!!!"

A supervisor ambled over and I explained my case. "Put it in writing and send it to Washington," was his advice. I got the impression that he more or less agreed with me, but as a front-line worker at the airport he had little say in actual policy or how to enforce it. That's fair enough, though it did not excuse his colleague's rudeness and hair-trigger temper.

Imagine that woman with actual law-enforcement power. Or a weapon.
Originally Posted by Wimpie
Another boost for Mr Roberts:

In praise of Michael Roberts, body-scan rebel

http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_...erts_body_scan
^^
This is REALLY a terrific article. Another quote:

Which brings up Ben Franklin's famous quote. It's a tired old quote, I know, but it merits repeating: "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Essential liberty isn't necessarily the right for a pilot to wear his shoes through a metal detector, but it is the right to ask questions, and expect some level of accountability, without being fined, handcuffed, screamed at or hauled away. For now complaints are met with silence or "because that's the rule," and loud orders to fall in line.

Soon they could be met by something worse.

Am I missing something, or is that a police state almost by definition?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:10 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by raehl311
The idea that seeing the gynecologist in person minimizes the possibilities of inappropriate behavior is silly. It may make you aware of some aspects of inappropriate behavior, but it also creates entirely new possibilities of inappropriate behavior.
I'm not sure what kind of fly by night practice you go to, but I have never once been alone in the room with my OB-GYN while the exam was performed. And yes, that includes both female and male physicians. There has always been an assistant present during the exam, acting as both an aide and an observer to ensure that nothing innappropriate occurs. Since I don't have a penis, I can't speak for the men on the board, but I would imagine that when they have a prostate exam done, there is also someone in the room observing.

If TSA is perfomring genital manipulation on passengers that choose to a) opt out, b) set off the WTMD or c) have an SSSS on their boarding pass - why is there not a second observer there to witness their actions? Because they've been "trained' to pat the the pax down appropriately?

If we expect and require this of trained medical professionals who have spent years upon years in school studying in their field, why are we not requiring the same of a TSA agent who maybe watched a video, read a handout, and had a little "hands on" training?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:41 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TSORon
Incorrect. You believe that you are not going to blow up in a plane. You have proof one way or the other. I’m reasonably sure that the folks on flight 93 “knew” that they would not have terrorists crash their plane when they got out of bed that morning, but history proves different. You believe that there is no benefit for you in screening, but most of your fellow passengers believe that there IS benefit from it. Leaves you with a choice, go through screening or don’t fly.

I can say with a certain amount of certainty that OBL and the rest of the terrorists out there would love for your arguments to prevail in our country. It would turn a medium target into a soft target, and make their jobs easier.
Are you on speaking terms with terrorists? Your know their intentions with certainty?

Pardon me, but the TSA and DHS is missing out on a great resource by having you screen poor little ol' airplane passengers. With all of your knowledge about what the terrorists know and what they are doing you would be much more valuable in DC.

Or, maybe there is another reason you know so much. You may be one of 'em. No wonder you suspect that everyone might be a terrorist, it's projection.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Incorrect. You believe that you are not going to blow up in a plane. You have proof one way or the other.
Hunh? So, even though I "believe" I'm not going to blow up a plane, I might blow one up anyway? How does that work? Subliminal suggestion? Hypnotic control? Radio control devices installed in my brain?

You've been watching too many science fiction films. When I board a plane, I can guarantee, 100%, that I am not going to blow it up.

I’m reasonably sure that the folks on flight 93 “knew” that they would not have terrorists crash their plane when they got out of bed that morning, but history proves different.
Well, first of all, the folks on Flight 93 didn't crash the plane, the terrorists did. I can say with confidence that 100% of the innocent passengers on Flight 93 boarded knowing with absolute certainty that THEY would not crash the plane.

Your point, which is not, in the least, responsive to mine, is that even though a passenger knows that he himself is not a terrorist, he can't know that about other passengers.

First, that merely validates what I said: Forcing me to be scanned does not increase my security one iota.

The question, then, is: does forcing others to be scanned increase my security? The answer, of course, is, "not really." The reason for that is that TSA isn't looking to stop terrorists from destroying planes. It's looking to stop anyone from bringing on specific implements.

Obviously, it is impossible for TSA to identify every specific implement that could be wielded as a weapon. My ballpoint pen will penetrate your jugular quite nicely. My computer power supply could be used as a perfectly functional sap. My necktie or shoelaces could as easily serve as a garrote. Accordingly, unless TSA requires us to fly naked with nothing, there is no way to prevent "weapons" being brought on board.

Worse still, Al Qaeda & Friends have already demonstrated a technique for bringing on-board quite deadly explosives. All that is required is shoving up one's . . . um . . . nether parts -- they've already carried out one assassination using this technique. Neither frisk nor WBI will detect this.

So, how is my security served by requiring that everyone be x-rayed and/or given an enhanced pat down, particularly when everyone isn't subjected to this humiliating and dangerous procedure?

You believe that there is no benefit for you in screening,
Wrong. I believe there is no benefit to me in my being screened. That's because, contrary to your science fiction fantasies, I know that I am not going to blow up an airplane.

but most of your fellow passengers believe that there IS benefit from it.
First, I don't think this is accurate. Regardless, the fact that most passengers believe this (if, in fact, they do) is irrelevant. The question is whether TSA's screening procedures are effective. There have been at least three instances in which, TSA notwithstanding, terrorists have boarded planes, and two of these attempted to blow them up. Moreover, TSA continues to perform hideously on GAO tests of their detection ability. It is clear that, irrespective of some passengers' beliefs, TSA is incapable of keeping weapons off of airplanes and is also completely ineffective at detecting terrorists.

Leaves you with a choice, go through screening or don’t fly.
Well, fortunately, there is a third choice: litigate the obvious constitutional violation. That is going to happen and, probably thanks to Capt. Roberts, sooner rather than later. And I think you're going to be very surprised by the result.

I can say with a certain amount of certainty that OBL and the rest of the terrorists out there would love for your arguments to prevail in our country.
Actually, it is your arguments that OBL & Friends love. They have accomplished exactly what they set out to do: disrupted the U.S. and ruined its economy, and YOU and your agency are a primary instrument that they used.

It would turn a medium target into a soft target, and make their jobs easier.
You're certainly not making their jobs any harder. See above. Your agency is a complete failure by any metric.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Incorrect. You believe that you are not going to blow up in a plane. You have proof one way or the other. I’m reasonably sure that the folks on flight 93 “knew” that they would not have terrorists crash their plane when they got out of bed that morning, but history proves different. You believe that there is no benefit for you in screening, but most of your fellow passengers believe that there IS benefit from it. Leaves you with a choice, go through screening or don’t fly.

I can say with a certain amount of certainty that OBL and the rest of the terrorists out there would love for your arguments to prevail in our country. It would turn a medium target into a soft target, and make their jobs easier.
Is this your version of "facts"?

Quick, what number am I thinking of right now? I assume you should know this since you apparently can read people's minds, how else would you claim that someone is wrong when they state they know they aren't going to blow up a plane?

If I say, I know for a fact I will not blow up a plane, least of all one I'm on (I find myself far too important to rob the world of my awesomeness ), how can you seriously claim that is an incorrect statement and further claim that its only a "belief"? Everyone on those planes knew what they were about to do unless your suggesting that an otherwise normal passenger arrived at the airport to take a flight, with no intention or plans to do wrong, and only after getting on the plan they conjured up some weapons and spontaniously decided to hijack them......hmmmm...yeah I don't think that's how it happened. By the same token, I know I am not going to blow up a plane, see simple@:-)

I am starting to gain a better understanding of the "logic" we deal with at checkpoints......
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
Hunh? So, even though I "believe" I'm not going to blow up a plane, I might blow one up anyway? How does that work? Subliminal suggestion? Hypnotic control? Radio control devices installed in my brain?

You've been watching too many science fiction films. When I board a plane, I can guarantee, 100%, that I am not going to blow it up.
OK, so we assume that you are right, you are not going to blow up a plane tomorrow. Will the guy sitting next to you? Can you be absolutely certain of that? And how do I know that you wont change your mind? How about the FA, how is she going to know?

Well, first of all, the folks on Flight 93 didn't crash the plane, the terrorists did. I can say with confidence that 100% of the innocent passengers on Flight 93 boarded knowing with absolute certainty that THEY would not crash the plane.
I didn’t say that the passengers crashed it, I said the terrorists did. Kindly read what I wrote. (and of course I should take my own advice, I misread your original statement in the first paragraph above)

Your point, which is not, in the least, responsive to mine, is that even though a passenger knows that he himself is not a terrorist, he can't know that about other passengers.

First, that merely validates what I said: Forcing me to be scanned does not increase my security one iota.
Interesting, parsing of words. And on that specific statement I will agree. But scanning you does increase the security of every other person on that plane.

The question, then, is: does forcing others to be scanned increase my security? The answer, of course, is, "not really." The reason for that is that TSA isn't looking to stop terrorists from destroying planes. It's looking to stop anyone from bringing on specific implements.
And this is again your belief, not something supported by any facts. IMO you are more than welcome to your belief’s, have at it dude.

Obviously, it is impossible for TSA to identify every specific implement that could be wielded as a weapon. My ballpoint pen will penetrate your jugular quite nicely. My computer power supply could be used as a perfectly functional sap. My necktie or shoelaces could as easily serve as a garrote. Accordingly, unless TSA requires us to fly naked with nothing, there is no way to prevent "weapons" being brought on board.
Oh, the “all or nothing” argument. Specious.

Worse still, Al Qaeda & Friends have already demonstrated a technique for bringing on-board quite deadly explosives. All that is required is shoving up one's . . . um . . . nether parts -- they've already carried out one assassination using this technique. Neither frisk nor WBI will detect this.
And it has been decided by the experts in the field that this is not a threat to an aircraft. To small a space for a person to hide enough explosive to critically damage an aircraft, surrounded by energy absorbing tissues, difficult to retain for the length of time needed to get it from the door to the airport to the aircraft and into the air. Again, a non-starter.

So, how is my security served by requiring that everyone be x-rayed and/or given an enhanced pat down, particularly when everyone isn't subjected to this humiliating and dangerous procedure?
Because it’s a pipe dream. It’s a “what if” that cannot work. Its an argument that is reminiscent of the “Man in the Moon”, and it just as inane.

Wrong. I believe there is no benefit to me in my being screened. That's because, contrary to your science fiction fantasies, I know that I am not going to blow up an airplane.
Again, how about the guy next to you, can you say the same of him?

First, I don't think this is accurate. Regardless, the fact that most passengers believe this (if, in fact, they do) is irrelevant. The question is whether TSA's screening procedures are effective. There have been at least three instances in which, TSA notwithstanding, terrorists have boarded planes, and two of these attempted to blow them up. Moreover, TSA continues to perform hideously on GAO tests of their detection ability. It is clear that, irrespective of some passengers' beliefs, TSA is incapable of keeping weapons off of airplanes and is also completely ineffective at detecting terrorists.
And here we are again back to “belief’s”. Nice circular thinking.

Well, fortunately, there is a third choice: litigate the obvious constitutional violation. That is going to happen and, probably thanks to Capt. Roberts, sooner rather than later. And I think you're going to be very surprised by the result.
Not really. He made his choice, he didn’t fly. Again I was correct. Now, as to the litigation part, well my experience with the courts tells me that it’s very difficult to tell what a judge is going to do with any given case. Sure, we can speculate, we can quote laws and precedent, and we can demand, but none of that in the end will makes a tinkers dam.

Actually, it is your arguments that OBL & Friends love. They have accomplished exactly what they set out to do: disrupted the U.S. and ruined its economy, and YOU and your agency are a primary instrument that they used.
And back to belief’s we come again.

You claim to be an attorney, and I suppose if such is true that you are at least adequate at it. Adequate enough to make a living, and as such you should have an inkling of what I discuss in the previous paragraph. And well then since I claim to be an expert on security and have been doing it for more than 15 years, and continue to make a living at it, then I believe that I have a better understanding of the topic than you do.

You're certainly not making their jobs any harder. See above. Your agency is a complete failure by any metric.
By your metrics. The one’s I get to see tell a completely different story. Then again mine are not based on emotion and supposition.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can say with a certain amount of certainty that the hardening of cockpit doors and the arming of flight crews poses a greater deterrent to potential terrorists than any aspect of TSA's Kabuki Theater.

I can also say with a great deal of certainty that TSA suppressed the findings of USG aviation experts who, after an 18 month thorough examination of all aspects of aviation security, found under the wing security a far greater threat than passengers. That study never saw the light of day because Chertoff and Kip Hawley knew it would threaten the police-state security apparatus they were so carefully constructing.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: Delta,United,Continental,US Airways,Southwest,Marriott,all car companies
As always, Halls 120 is right on the mark.
And a simple question to TSO Ron: Without "badging", how many flights, domestic and international, do you take a year? Frequency of travel is the prime reason most of us are so critical of your organization so it would be interesting to see how often you join us without using your creds to get past the frisking and NOS.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium

Ron - Im sorry your argument is udder bull cookies. Aircraft were never a medium target they were always a soft target. There are so many other ways of taking a flying object down other then using a take over schema. Your united 93 reference is a shameful patronization of those people who showed true patriotism and did what needed to be done even it it meant giving up there lives. The difference between those on that flight and others is that they took a stand against the hijackers and were determined to take them out. That is sort of what is happening with people taking a stand against TSA as its true colors have been seen and they are not "For out safety" nor good intentions. As sad as it is i dare say there many historical comparisons/parallels of TSA to organizations in the past as well as the 9/11 hijackers.

furthermore there is nothing that TSA has done to stop a terrorist act or even prevent one . The most effective changes that were made by the airlines and the pilots and FA(and there unions) of hardening the cockpit doors and crews not submitting to the demands of idiots attempting anything. TSA is like the FAMS a big expensive embarrassing waste as they havent caught anything and are more show and theater then anything else, that just needs to be buried. Since 9/11 its been passengers that have stopped off events or outbursts on flights at all or before the FAMS sitting in a stolen first class seat could get there, blow there cover and put the idiot in cuffs.

Then a question for you, which cost more in terms of losses (of people, property, jobs, productivity), economic damage in the short and long-term. the events of 9/11 or 2001 numbers killed/injured in auto accidents on the roads/interstates/etc?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311
But I also think all this hullabaloo over "OH MY GOD NUDITY!" is a silly distraction from the real problems. It's a whole lot of fear about something that isn't going to cause you any harm whatsoever.
Are you willing to tell someone who's been raped, sexually abused, or otherwise sexually assaulted that such a scan that can see them naked isn't going to cause them any harm?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:51 am

Something mentioned in the article was CrewPass. Korean air crews at Incheon simply scan their ids at a dedicated line and 'voila' they're through the lines if outgoing and immi when incoming.

I assume they have been pre-screened and checked out and, for the Koreans, the ID is sufficient to by-pass the peasants' security lines and immi lines.

Makes sense....why can't the Americans do it?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
very well done michael....if there were only more pilots like you then we would be rid of this problem altogether....
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:59 am

Programs: Presidential Airways High Value Target, Catfish Air Flare, Hootch Honors Gold
The easiest way to get TSA to reverse their policy is for EVERY pilot on EVERY airline to simply go on strike until the policy is rescinded. It'll take about 24-48hrs, MAX. And TSORon and all his arguments for it will be stuffed by his superiors when they realize that, gosh golly, you NEED pilots for an air transport system more than you need some assinine rule. But of course it won't be his superiors who make that call. It'll be their superiors superiors superiors.

The CEO's of United/Continental, Delta/NWA, US Airways, SouthWest, UPS, Fedex, and DHL airlines will be on a conference call with the Secretary of Transportation, the Secretary of Commerce and the Secretary of Homeland Security within an hour after the strike starts. I wouldn't be surprised if the President or Vice-President sat in. Napolitano will be told to solve this right-effing-now as this is costing the economy billions of dollars a day and that's not something we can afford.

She will tell TSA to suspend the program immediately until "further review" is conducted. Calls will flow down hill, and Michael will be able to, just like he has for the last four years, go to work and do his job.

Even though I have flights coming up soon, I would welcome a wide spread civil action on the part of all commercial cargo/passenger pilots to start to stem the tide of the TSAs air-safety theater crap.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since our elected representatives seem uninterested in the public's opinion about TSA civil disobedience might be the only remaining avenue to effect change with TSA.

Electronic Strip Searches, invasive pat downs of the genitals, naked images of children and all the other indignities forced on travelers must be balanced with the real threat to aviation.

I for one think DHS/TSA is using fear mongering to advance their agenda and that agenda does not relate to any real terrorist threat.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I also would love to see airline employees, not just pilots but certainly including them, strike in protest of obnoxious, counterproductive TSA actions. I have spoken with countless (at least hundreds) of airline employees who utterly despise the TSA. But nobody ever does anything about it! Everyone is too intimidated. (Except Michael Roberts, that is!!!)

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.