Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I have spoken with countless (at least hundreds) of airline employees who utterly despise the TSA. But nobody ever does anything about it!
Agreed that Michael is a true Patriot.

However, as a former airline manager I can tell you, absolutely, that even if every single one of them took a stand (and there are actually those who are part of the "anything for safety" crowd), that they would be threatened with their jobs. I may know a thing or two from experience...

The sad reality is that Michael probably will lose his job because I can guarantee you that the political pressure on ExpressJet's chief pilot and CEO is deafening at this point. He has declared that the emperor has no clothes, and the emperor will buck and scream until Mr. Robers is dealt swift "justice".

That is no reason, of course, not to continue to write your letters in support of Mr. Roberts to ExpressJet's management. The actions of the TSA are unAmerican, and we, as a people, have shown time and again that eventually sanity is restored.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA Disputes "No Scanner For Me" Pilot's Description Of Pat-Down

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/tsa-d...-pat-down.html

But the head of privacy for the TSA tells TheGeekProfessor.com that's just not the case:

There is no retaliatory pat-down for people who decline AIT. There used to be several types of pat-downs, but there are now only two (standard, and resolution). People who decline AIT or metal detector, for that matter, get the standard pat-down, but our standard pat-down changed about a month ago and now has a sliding motion across the groin. There was a flurry of media attention about a month ago on it, and some complaints following the news articles, but not a lot. My rough recollection is a dozen or fewer complaints specific to the new pat-down.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat/1MM
Originally Posted by raehl311
Indeed. But it isn't a strip search.

The scanner generates something similar to a nude image. It doesn't require people to stand around naked and there is no sexual activity involved.
Repeating it endlessly does not make it true.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TSA's "head of privacy"
...some complaints following the news articles, but not a lot. My rough recollection is a dozen or fewer complaints specific to the new pat-down.
Why do they always seem to recall very few complaints about their idiotic procedures? They recall fewer complaints than we can count right here on Flyertalk.

Bruce
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Tom M.
There is no retaliatory pat-down for people who decline AIT. There used to be several types of pat-downs, but there are now only two (standard, and resolution).
Translation:

We have instituted retaliatory frisking, only it is called the "standard pat-down."

IOW you can call a turd a flower. It still smells like sht.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:14 am

Programs: CO/DL
I have spoken with countless (at least hundreds) of airline employees who utterly despise the TSA. But nobody ever does anything about it! Everyone is too intimidated. (Except Michael Roberts, that is!!!)

Bruce
I have countless (again, at least hundreds) of airline employees that I count as friends, or neighbors, and just people I have gotten to know over the years when I was still traveling frequently and ALL of these airline employees, repeat ALL OF THEM, 100 percent without exception hate and despise TSA and the bulls*** window dressing, security rules forced on the traveling public. This group includes not just pilots, but flight attendants, ticket counter/gate agents as well.

It is somone among this group that described TSA as a "pus filled pimple on the a** cheeks of society"^ AND also said "If I wanted to give the world an enema, TSA is where I would insert the nozzle"^

I quit flying almost a year and a half ago because of TSA's idiotic rules, and that was before the nude-o-scopes and genital groping/molesting came into the news like it has recently.

Mr Roberts, if you read this, and you make it back to Houston, I would be honored to buy you the drink of your choosing and offer a well deserved thank you for standing up to all of this^
Old Oct 22, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Tom M.
But the head of privacy for the TSA tells TheGeekProfessor.com that's just not the case:

There is no retaliatory pat-down for people who decline AIT. There used to be several types of pat-downs, but there are now only two (standard, and resolution). People who decline AIT or metal detector, for that matter, get the standard pat-down, but our standard pat-down changed about a month ago and now has a sliding motion across the groin. There was a flurry of media attention about a month ago on it, and some complaints following the news articles, but not a lot. My rough recollection is a dozen or fewer complaints specific to the new pat-down.
Based on my observations his description is patently untrue. I overheard a screener telling someone (who opted out and complained about "squeezing" of his genitals) "maybe this will teach you to go through the scanner next time".

Perhaps the TSA spokeshole that talked about "few complaints" should do a little research with travelers & airline employees. After all, the process to complain requires a reasonable amount of effort and is difficult to do in the airport environment.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Based on my observations his description is patently untrue. I overheard a screener telling someone (who opted out and complained about "squeezing" of his genitals) "maybe this will teach you to go through the scanner next time".

Perhaps the TSA spokeshole that talked about "few complaints" should do a little research with travelers & airline employees. After all, the process to complain requires a reasonable amount of effort and is difficult to do in the airport environment.
It's clear to me every single time I opt out that everything they do from that point on is designed to make me not want to opt out again. From surrounding me with multiple TSA employees who stand within a palm's width of my body to waiting until I've been told that I'm free to go to decide they need to search my bags to actually telling me 'You know this would be a lot faster if you just went through the scanner.'

Their agenda is obvious: intimidate, harass and coerce people into the WBI at all cost. The grabbing of genitals is another part of that process.

ETA: In cases where I have had the audacity to complain about the treatment, that is generally when I get swarmed by blue-shirts.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I also would love to see airline employees, not just pilots but certainly including them, strike in protest of obnoxious, counterproductive TSA actions. I have spoken with countless (at least hundreds) of airline employees who utterly despise the TSA. But nobody ever does anything about it! Everyone is too intimidated. (Except Michael Roberts, that is!!!)

Bruce
Hi Bruce:
I can only speak for me, but at this point & time I can't afford to loose my job, If there ever comes a time I will put my self in the "nude o scope" line some where op out & refuse the rest of the crap & take it as far as it can go, As far as a strike I'm the first in line. Again to say what others I've said including myself, EVERY airline employee I know HATES the TSA
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:36 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by mozgytog

ETA: In cases where I have had the audacity to complain about the treatment, that is generally when I get swarmed by blue-shirts.
Tip: Wait until you have completed the screening process and are free to go. At that point, begin the complaint process. Any attempts at (further) intimidation/harassment should be added to the complaint, or cause additional complaints to be filed. Always name your assailant(s).
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Tip: Wait until you have completed the screening process and are free to go. At that point, begin the complaint process. Any attempts at (further) intimidation/harassment should be added to the complaint, or cause additional complaints to be filed. Always name your assailant(s).
Which is when I do it. I've also been told that I was 'free to go' after the pat down, gone to collect my things from the x-ray belt and then been told that my bags would be searched or surrounded by TSA employees who have a problem with my attitude.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:51 am

Which is when I do it. I've also been told that I was 'free to go' after the pat down, gone to collect my things from the x-ray belt and then been told that my bags would be searched or surrounded by TSA employees who have a problem with my attitude.
You can let them know that since you've had access to your bags, the timing of their "search" is pure harassment. Phone in that complaint as well: 1-866-289-9673. Stare down your assailants. They can't (won't) do anything to you. Remind them that you have completed the screening process and that the should kindly get the hell out of your way.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 9:57 am

You can let them know that since you've had access to your bags, the timing of their "search" is pure harassment. Phone in that complaint as well: 1-866-289-9673. Stare down your assailants as well. They can't (won't) do anything to you. Remind them that you have completed the screening process and that the should kindly get the hell out of your way.
I'm not saying that I'm afraid of or intimidated by them, just pointing out that their actions are clearly harassment, and clearly designed to punish me for opting out.

It doesn't work, I will always opt out and I will always file a complaint. I have stood in the middle of a ring of five TSA employees who barked in my face and told them to follow through on their threat to call law enforcement, or I would be happy to do it.

The fact that dozens and dozens of people can see what's happening certainly isn't going to hurt me. I know that the TSA is trying to make me bow down and submit, and to make sure everyone else in line sees what happens when you opt out. I will not back down.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:12 am

I'm not saying that I'm afraid of or intimidated by them, just pointing out that their actions are clearly harassment, and clearly designed to punish me for opting out.

It doesn't work, I will always opt out and I will always file a complaint. I have stood in the middle of a ring of five TSA employees who barked in my face and told them to follow through on their threat to call law enforcement, or I would be happy to do it.

The fact that dozens and dozens of people can see what's happening certainly isn't going to hurt me. I know that the TSA is trying to make me bow down and submit, and to make sure everyone else in line sees what happens when you opt out. I will not back down.
^ You rock!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:25 am

^ You rock!
I don't have enough guts to carry it as far as Michael Roberts did, though I have driven a giant wedge between myself and my family because I am not a good little sheep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.