Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It is when (1) it involves radiation, (2) that radiation is not in reponse to a directive from a duly trained and licensed medical professional (doctor, dentist), and (3) that radiation is not administered by a duly trained and licensed radiologist. The Nude-O-Scopes fail on all three count.

However, before we can even get to this little diversion that you've tried to lead us down, it fails royally on the privacy issue. My johnson & my wife's hoo-hah are none of TSA's business. Period. End of story.
You are so 100 % correct.

Like I said somewere in this forum. The people promote and are all for this naked-groping hysteria at USA's airports. They most have to little of that in their own lifes. So they get their "what ever" satisfied by doing it to innocent travelling people.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
It is when (1) it involves radiation, (2) that radiation is not in reponse to a directive from a duly trained and licensed medical professional (doctor, dentist), and (3) that radiation is not administered by a duly trained and licensed radiologist. The Nude-O-Scopes fail on all three count.
On that point I completely agree. And I completely agree that that is a totally legitimate objection to their use. I also agree that the only alternative to objecting to being exposed to radiation being submitting to "very thorough" manual inspection also being unsuitable.

However, before we can even get to this little diversion that you've tried to lead us down, it fails royally on the privacy issue. My johnson & my wife's hoo-hah are none of TSA's business. Period. End of story.
And while I agree that they are not the TSA's business, no one seems to be able to explain what the problem with having an image of such incidental to the search is.

The TSA agent sees your johnson/hoo-ha. And then... what? Why does it matter?

The radiation might give you cancer. An image of your johnson doesn't do anything.

Originally Posted by mozgytog
Then why have law enforcement agencies been barred by the courts from using the same technology at jails because it constitutes a strip search?
Do you have a specific ruling to cite there?

Telling you to take off all your clothing, squat, and cough does not involve an 'actual physical search' and it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes.
It may not involve physical contact, but I would still qualify it as a physical search. It's also far different from a non-identifiable image on a monitor.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 23, 2010 at 2:22 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by raehl311
The TSA agent sees your johnson/hoo-ha. And then... what? Why does it matter?
With some people, that's all that matters. Privacy & modelsty are important to them, and it's neither your place nor the government's place to violate that.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think there's anything unreasonable about virtually removing clothing, especially when done in a non-identifying manner. (It's not like someone looking at the image would know it was you.)

I do think it's unreasonable to have your genitals grabbed, and I do think its unreasonable that having your genitals grabbed is the only alternative to not taking a dose of radiation.

But I don't think having a non-identifiable image taken of you itself is in any way unreasonable.
Both are unreasonable!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
With some people, that's all that matters. Privacy & modelsty are important to them, and it's neither your place nor the government's place to violate that.
That's ridiculous.

No one gets to single-handedly decide what their inviolable rights are, and society absolutely gets to place limits on the extent of people's rights, and society usually does that through government. (Less advanced societies do it by stoning.)

You have the right to property, but not so much that you can't be required to pay taxes.

You have the right to freedom of movement, but not so much that you can trespass on someone else's property.

You have the right to freedom of expression, but not so much that you can walk down the street naked. (Although, I'm not a big fan of that limit either.)

You have the right to privacy, but maybe not so much that you can board a commercial airline without someone looking at a non-identifiable image of your body on a monitor.

"I have the right to whatever I want regardless of anyone else's rights" is not a right that exists.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
What's unreasonable about a search that involves standing still for 5 seconds as part of an apparently otherwise unobjectionable search that lasts minutes? Answer: Nothing except puritan paranoia about naked images. There is absolutely no effect on your life whatsoever other than a brief amount of wasted time.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, raehl311. Nevertheless, your opinion has no bearing on fact or compelling force on others.

"THEY CAN SEE ME NAKED!" is a silly objection.
Speaking only for yourself, of course.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
You are quite correct. A LEO can ask to search my vehicle and I can give permission or he can get a warrant.

At the airport, the TSA can ask to search my bag and I say "yes" which gives them the right go through it. However, if they ask "may I search your person" and I say "no" then they have two options, let me go or seek a legal warrant. They take a third method. They say that I am free to turn down their search, but I am not allowed to go into the secure area. The specifically do not say I can not fly, they just do not allow me into the area from which I can fly.

This is a serious difficultly. A government actor has two distinct constitution actions at his legal disposal and he chooses a third.
Sorry, but you're incorrect. Per the courts (and a long history of decisions), administrative searches are not violative of the 4th Amendment, and refusal to allow you to fly on commercial aircraft does not implicate your right to travel.

Since The Constitution does not provide this option it can said that under the 10th Amendment the Federal government does no have this power, only the States or the People.
Again, no. That's not what the 10th Amendment means, nor is it in anyway relevant to the issue of TSA searches exceeding the powers granted the government.

One can say the incorporation clause now includes the States with the United States
There's no such thing as an, "incorporation clause." You're probably referring to the doctrine of selective incorporation, by which specific elements of the Bill of Rights are incorporated through the 14th Amendment to apply to state government. All of the Bill of Rights, with the exception of parts of the 8th Amendment and, arguably, the 2nd Amendment have been selectively incorporated.

but this is generally taken to mean that the Powers and Limits of the Federal Government become the Powers and Limits of the state governments. Since this power was never given to the Federal government, it can not be incorporated by the states.
Which power? The right to refuse access to commercial aircraft? You need to read the court decisions.

It may also be said that the act of buying a ticket for travel gives the implied consent that I have given up my 4th Amendment right because I understand the process and I know that this screening will occur.
I suppose it may be said, but it is still wrong. You don't waive rights by virtue of having bought an airline ticket.

If that it is the T&C of the airline, and it may be, I do not know.
It's not. However, even if it was, it would have absolutely nothing to do with constitutional rights or their waiver.

The question becomes then can a private entity require that I give up my constitutional rights to purchase a contract for carriage?
No, that's not the question. If an airline required that you be strip searched before boarding, the Constitution wouldn't be implicated in any way.

What if Ford required that I give up constitutional rights to have my car searched when I buy a car?
It can't.

What if Dell requires that I give the government permission to look into my computer as a condition of my purchase?
It can't.

What if the bank made me sign a statement that I can only have a checking account if I give blanket permission for the government to looking into my account?

The examples are nearly endless. Why is it that the airlines would have this power?
They don't.

So, can the TSA prevent your making a contract for transportation? No.

Can they prevent your carrying out that contract? Yes.

Is there a constitutional method to lawfully do this? Yes.

Do they choose the known lawful method or a method that is of questionable legality? It is the second.

The solution is simple. If the TSA feels that I am a danger to the aircraft and its passengers, it should properly obtain a warrant to search my person. If it does not have a justification to do so it should let me go.

The reason this is not done is that it is inconvenient. I have yet to find the inconvenience clause in The Constitution.
Your conclusion is correct. Your analysis, however, is not.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:51 am

Here is a rather definitve authority on this subject

http://openjurist.org/324/f2d/450/york-v-story

Note Paragraph 21, which says:

We cannot conceive of a more basic subject of privacy than the naked body. The desire to shield one's unclothed figured from view of strangers, and particularly strangers of the opposite sex, is impelled by elementary self-respect and personal dignity.

Any questions?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
Here is a rather definitve authority on this subject

http://openjurist.org/324/f2d/450/york-v-story

Note Paragraph 21, which says:

We cannot conceive of a more basic subject of privacy than the naked body. The desire to shield one's unclothed figured from view of strangers, and particularly strangers of the opposite sex, is impelled by elementary self-respect and personal dignity.

Any questions?
Why didn't you quote the full paragraph?

We cannot conceive of a more basic subject of privacy than the naked body. The desire to shield one's unclothed figured from view of strangers, and particularly strangers of the opposite sex, is impelled by elementary self-respect and personal dignity. A search of one's home has been established to be an invasion of one's privacy against intrusion by the police, which, if 'unreasonable,' is arbitrary and therefore banned under the Fourth Amendment.11 We do not see how it can be argued that the searching of one's home deprives him of privacy, but the photographing of one's nude body, and the distribution of such photographs to strangers does not.

In the opinion you are citing (from 1963), the identifiable photos were taken for no legitimate purpose and distributed to members of the opposite sex.

The opinion doesn't address non-identifiable photos, photos taken for a legitimate purpose, photos not distributed, and photos not seen by the opposing gender.

We're talking about a picture no one can even tell is you.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:34 pm

Why didn't you quote the full paragraph?

We cannot conceive of a more basic subject of privacy than the naked body. The desire to shield one's unclothed figured from view of strangers, and particularly strangers of the opposite sex, is impelled by elementary self-respect and personal dignity. A search of one's home has been established to be an invasion of one's privacy against intrusion by the police, which, if 'unreasonable,' is arbitrary and therefore banned under the Fourth Amendment.11 We do not see how it can be argued that the searching of one's home deprives him of privacy, but the photographing of one's nude body, and the distribution of such photographs to strangers does not.
I quoted the part of the paragraph that specifically addresses the question we are discussing - privacy of the naked body.

In the opinion you are citing (from 1963), the identifiable photos were taken for no legitimate purpose and distributed to members of the opposite sex.

The opinion doesn't address non-identifiable photos, photos taken for a legitimate purpose, photos not distributed, and photos not seen by the opposing gender.

We're talking about a picture no one can even tell is you.
The opinion does not say that it is OK to take nude pictures as long as they are not identifiable, does it? On the contrary, it asserts a very broad right to privacy in one's own body.

BTW, IANAL. Do any of the resident lawyers here know if this opinion has been overturned?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PoliceStateSurvivor
I quoted the part of the paragraph that specifically addresses the question we are discussing - privacy of the naked body.

The opinion does not say that it is OK to take nude pictures as long as they are not identifiable, does it? On the contrary, it asserts a very broad right to privacy in one's own body.

BTW, IANAL. Do any of the resident lawyers here know if this opinion has been overturned?
The opinion has not been reversed, though it has been distinguished. Also, a key element of the decision was the fact that the photographs at issue in Story were not taken for any legitimate police purpose. The question at issue is addressed somewhat in Grummett v. Rushen, 779 F.2d 491 (9th Cir. 1985), which establishes the standard for infringement of the bodily privacy right in this context (the case involved female corrections officers viewing male inmates nude and partially nude), which is a compelling state interest. In that case, the 9th Circuit determined that the circumstances justified a sufficient state interest.

I think it may be possible to frame a constitutional argument for WBI, though not necessarily the way it is presently conducted (and please note that I am not saying WBI passes constitutional muster). There is no constitutional argument that I can think of that would justify subjecting passengers to potentially-dangerous x-ray radiation, particularly in the context in which it is done at airports.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by PTravel
I suppose it may be said, but it is still wrong. You don't waive rights by virtue of having bought an airline ticket.
More generally, the government cannot require you to give up one right so as to exercise another. In the wording of the framers, your rights are "inalienable".
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
Sorry, but you're incorrect. Per the courts (and a long history of decisions), administrative searches are not violative of the 4th Amendment, and refusal to allow you to fly on commercial aircraft does not implicate your right to travel.

Again, no. That's not what the 10th Amendment means, nor is it in anyway relevant to the issue of TSA searches exceeding the powers granted the government.

There's no such thing as an, "incorporation clause." You're probably referring to the doctrine of selective incorporation, by which specific elements of the Bill of Rights are incorporated through the 14th Amendment to apply to state government. All of the Bill of Rights, with the exception of parts of the 8th Amendment and, arguably, the 2nd Amendment have been selectively incorporated.

Which power? The right to refuse access to commercial aircraft? You need to read the court decisions.

It's not. However, even if it was, it would have absolutely nothing to do with constitutional rights or their waiver.

No, that's not the question. If an airline required that you be strip searched before boarding, the Constitution wouldn't be implicated in any way.

It can't.

It can't.

They don't.

Your conclusion is correct. Your analysis, however, is not.

Well that is good to know.

I will accept your corrections to the rest. I am not a constitutional expert. I just try to understand it it layman's terms. So, help me out a bit.

How is it that administrative searches are allowed constitutionally?

I think I understand that the constitution is not applicable between parties in a contract, such as the contract of carriage between me and the airline. Is this correct?

Then where does the TSA get its authority? Please, not the doctrinal thesis version the Sunday comics one.

This is what I really do not understand. The TSA is a government agency with a pseudo-law enforcement appearance. Why are they not subject to the same restrictions as other government agencies?

Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
How is it that administrative searches are allowed constitutionally?
It's been a while since I've looked at this, but my recollection was the test was, "important state purpose," and, "minimally intrusive."

I think I understand that the constitution is not applicable between parties in a contract, such as the contract of carriage between me and the airline. Is this correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Then where does the TSA get its authority? Please, not the doctrinal thesis version the Sunday comics one.
TSA comes under the Executive Branch. The authorization is found in Article II, Section 1: The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America

This is what I really do not understand. The TSA is a government agency with a pseudo-law enforcement appearance.
TSA is not a law enforcement agency.

Why are they not subject to the same restrictions as other government agencies?
They are subject to the same constitutional restrictions as every state actor, including other government agencies.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I don't think there's anything unreasonable about virtually removing clothing, especially when done in a non-identifying manner. (It's not like someone looking at the image would know it was you.
And you feel this way about 6 year old boys and girls being screened, too? I don't want the TSA screeners looking at any naked children, more so than adults. Looks like the U.K. has already addressed this by banning children from the new equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.