Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Today was the day...(The Michael Roberts/ExpressJet Story)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Travelsonic
How do you know you're getting the real deal - especially enough to matter-of-factually dismiss the claims made in opposition to the idea that we are getting the real deal?
I'm not dismissing the quality or accuracy of any image - my opinion is exactly the same for any of the WBI images I've seen, on the Internet or elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
OK....so, you don't work in the industry or have any association with the TSA.
Then, how can you tell me with the certainty needed to say:
"I'm not debating what the TSO can actually see. I'm debating what it is."
If you have never seen the image that a TSO can see? Just because you got to see the same general technology a few years ago in another country?
Right. You've chosen to make a fight out of this particular point for reasons best known to you. Hopefully this will help. In the middle of the thread, unrelated to anything else you posted the somewhat bizarre quote:

Originally Posted by Combat Medic
Prove it. Provide full resolution images exactly as they are shown to the TSO.
I don't care what the TSO images look like. Apparently you do. Not sure what you're hoping to achieve with this "prove it" nonsense but I really don't care.

Read my post. I'm not debating what the TSO can actually see. I'm telling you, and everyone else that I don't believe these are nude images. It's an opinion - nothing I post on the Internet is going to provide you with "proof".

Let it go

Originally Posted by tom911
Did the TSA give you a tour while someone was going through the new equipment? How would I get to see the same monitor view that you've seen?
No, they didn't. I've never had any dealing with the TSA other than my 4-5 times / week trips through US airports

I only saw this type of view in the UK when these devices were in a pilot phase. It was quite the novelty at the time so nearly everyone would look at their image after they'd been scanned.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:03 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
I don't have a Facebook account. Can you highlight some of what is posted on the link you provided?
Thomas M. Hanley, CEO

ExpressJet Airlines, Inc

700 N. Sam Houston Parkway West, Suite 200

Houston, TX 77067

[email protected]

Dear Mr. Hanley,

I am writing to commend one of your pilots, Michael Roberts.

Michael Roberts did what every American should do at a TSA checkpoint. He refused to be photographed naked or be groped by TSA goons. Mr. Roberts has set an example for us all to follow. He stood tall and refused to be violated as a person. He acted in the finest American tradition.

Mr. Roberts is exactly the type of pilot I want flying my plane. As a passenger, I put my life in the hands of the pilot. How can I trust my life with a pilot (or airline) that I won't even protect my rights as a human being?

The air travel businesses are our only means of applying pressure to reverse TSA thuggery. If the current trends are allowed to continue, air-travel will no longer be an option for many Americans. I will NEVER allow my family to be subjected to peep-show scanners or be groped by TSA perverts. If that means I can no longer travel by air, so be it. The survival of the air-travel industry depends on passengers' willingness to participate. We have had enough of the pointless humiliations.

If your company has anything like an "Employee of the Year" award, please bestow that honor on Michael Roberts. He is a tribute to your company and industry. ExpressJet has an opportunity for some excellent PR by honoring the man who defended the rights of passengers.

Sincerely,

James Babb
Eagleville, PA
from Facebook ^
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Let's assume for a minute that the TSA agents can see a very high quality nude image of everyone who goes through the imaging scanner.

So what?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
Let's assume for a minute that the TSA agents can see a very high quality nude image of everyone who goes through the imaging scanner.

So what?
So what what?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 8:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

So what?
It's unnecessary and unwanted by some passengers.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
It's unnecessary and unwanted by some passengers.
While I agree the current security protocol, and the proposed new protocols, are in general ineffective, paying taxes is unwanted by some citizens, but you still have to pay them. "Some people don't want to do it" is not a good reason to not have a certain procedure or requirement.

I'm all for objecting to the new procedures as being expensive in money and time and a generally ineffective waste of resources, but I don't understand the vast majority of objections, which basically boil down to "But somebody might see me N-A-K-E-D!"

So what?

If that's the objection, the problem isn't the security procedure, it's all the puritanical brainwashing that's gotten people so uptight about their bodies.

If you object to being one of 200 naked human images somebody has to stare at every day, I think you need to find something more important to worry about.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I'm all for objecting to the new procedures as being expensive in money and time and a generally ineffective waste of resources, but I don't understand the vast majority of objections, which basically boil down to "But somebody might see me N-A-K-E-D!"

So what?
There's no good reason for it. Stripping and showing myself naked should be my choice and it should be 100% up to me who sees an image of me naked. Furthermore, it's an image that can be saved and shared. I'm completely against that too.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
There's no good reason for it. Stripping and showing myself naked should be my choice and it should be 100% up to me who sees an image of me naked.
Why? What if everyone could see anyone else naked anytime?

Furthermore, it's an image that can be saved and shared. I'm completely against that too.
See above.

I actually decline the image screening, but not because of the image - I don't want any more radiation exposure than necessary. Naked pictures of me are not going to change my existence in any way. Cancer, not so much.

- Chris
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold

So what?
I change clothes in parking lots all the time. If someone wants to see me in my underwear or occasionally naked, that's fine by me. But it's my choice. Going through security it's not.

That the government has the right and ability to force people traveling domestically to a virtual strip search is a gross violation of the 4th Amendment.

There are long term health concerns about radiation emitted from the scanners as well.

Finally, most security experts doubt that the nude-o-scopes provide any improvement over other security measures already in place. Some even say that they are less effective than the WTMD.

Basically there is a lot to lose by going through the machine, and little (if anything) to gain.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
There's a really simple solution here - require everyone to have naked pictures of them taken, upload them all to a website where anyone can see them, and naked pictures would get to be pretty uninteresting pretty fast.
I'm sorry, but that's just the stupidest solution. The only solution is to remove these machines, and return security to the airlines, or bring in people like the Aussies that run a good system, without jerks like the TSA has.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:57 pm

but I don't understand the vast majority of objections, which basically boil down to "But somebody might see me N-A-K-E-D!"

So what?
If you don't mind showing an image of your genitals to a person in a secluded room then by all means knock yourself out. But you or any Govt agent don't get to decide what my expectation of privacy should be.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by deldel
If you don't mind showing an image of your genitals to a person in a secluded room then by all means knock yourself out.
I in fact don't mind, because it has no impact on my life whatsoever.

Well, I *DO* mind wasting my TIME, but I'd be equally annoyed if I had to spend a similar amount of time doing any other pointless activity.

But you or any Govt agent don't get to decide what my expectation of privacy should be.
That's a ridiculous statement. The government decides what your expectation of privacy should be all the time.

Do you object to the picture of your naked face on your driver's license being saved in a state database where lots of people in secluded rooms can see it?

If you don't object to that piece of skin being visible, why do you object to other pieces of skin being visible?

If you don't object to your naked face being on your driver's license, but you DO object to your naked full-body image being shown to a TSA agent, do you think people should be allowed to have a driver's license even if they refuse to have a photo of their naked face taken?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

So what?
Pope Benedict pretty much covered it for me.
The Pope has spoken out over the use of full body scanners at airports, insisting that human dignity must be preserved.

The equipment has caused controversy because it makes those who pass through it appear naked.

Pope Benedict made his comments in an audience with airport workers at the Vatican.

Although he did not specifically use the words body scanner it was clear what he meant as he said it was 'essential to protect and value the human person'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...#ixzz12m67lqij
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Wimpie
An open letter to ExpressJet Airlines CEO ^

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8&id=611130401
I tried to offer my support, Wimpie by attaching a note. Is there a way that we can do that. Maybe create a facebook page supporting Mr. Roberts?

Mr. Roberts, my hat's off to you. Thank you for standing up to TSA. I truly hope your management supports you. I would love to see someone in management stand up for its pax for once.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
If you don't object to your naked face being on your driver's license, but you DO object to your naked full-body image being shown to a TSA agent, do you think people should be allowed to have a driver's license even if they refuse to have a photo of their naked face taken?
Remember, we are talking about PRIVATE parts. That's why they are called PRIVATE!

Tell your kids that it's OK to show their private parts to some high school kid in order to be "safe". Or it's OK for high schoolers in blue smurf outfits to feel your private parts in order to be "safe". This is AFU!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.