Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACLU quesitioning enhanced patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ScatterX

1) Clear definition of what they are doing and why.
2) Thorough and independently reviewed analysis/data demonstrating that what they want to do is:
A) Necessary
B) Effective
3) Thorough and independently reviewed analysis/data showing what it costs to do X (including cost impacts to the airlines and passengers) to provide a cost/benefit analysis.
4) Proper training to ensure that everything is done correctly and consistently.
5) A formal mechanism that permits feedback/alternatives for law-abiding citizens who have reasonable objections or have been subject to unauthorized behavior.
6) Robust independent oversight of the entire life-cycle (planning, implementation, operation, etc.) to ensure that our tax-dollars are being spent appropriately and effectively.

IMO, the steps above are not too much to ask of the government in general, not just the TSA.

How many of you FT'ers would be happy with the 6 step process above? Additions/changes/etc. are welcome. I'll keep a running list if there is sufficient interest.
People presenting themselves to travel on public transportation should only be physically searched in the following circumstances:

1. They fail to pass the WTMD without alarm after emptying pockets
2. A check of the carry on shows trace explosives that can not be resolved with a search of the bag.
3. The xray machine operator detects WEI in the carry on that is confirmed.

The pat downs we are discussing here are unreasonable searches (my opinion) due to the fact that I refused to undergo another unreasonable search (again my opinion) using the strip search machine.

Most of what ScatterX suggests is reasonable and therefore falls outside of the understanding of DHS. Here is what I would like, and we will see wings on Durocs before it happens:

If I fail to clear the administrative search and the TSA determines that a physical body search is necessary, I would be given a form, signed by the TSO and the supervisor that explains the reason for the search and why it was required. It could be simple check boxes, but the TSA should be required to document for the benefit of the PAX when exceptional measures are taken.

If the search is reasonable, it can be easily documented why it is reasonable.

If it is not reasonable, it should not be done.

Just dreaming, I know.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by mozgytog
I still think that leaves far too much room for them to institute 'necessary' procedures that abridge our civil rights.
I agree. One major point of my rant is that TSA shouldn't decide what is or isn't necessary.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
You must believe it is OK for anyone to grope anyone else for any reason as long as it's "for security".
To me the mere idea of grabbing another man's crotch is repulsive. Surely even within the depraved ranks of TSOs there must be some who feel the same way and have no desire to become Officer Cockfondle. Can they refuse to do so but still remain a TSO assigned to x-ray or other duties only ?

Maybe there's a wrongful dismissal suit in the offing - "I didn't sign up for this !
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
To me the mere idea of grabbing another man's crotch is repulsive. Surely even within the depraved ranks of TSOs there must be some who feel the same way and have no desire to become Officer Cockfondle. Can they refuse to do so but still remain a TSO assigned to x-ray or other duties only ?

Maybe there's a wrongful dismissal suit in the offing - "I didn't sign up for this !
In the world of locked up felons child molesters and sex perverts are the lowest of the low.

It seems TSA employees are actively campaigning to take over that position.

Keep in mind that TSA employees seem quiet willing to fondle children or look at their naked images with the Strip Search Machines, all for no apparent reason.

I wonder how they can go home each day and face their families.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Wimpie
Well, the Gestapo TSA is getting more press about this.
http://www.consumertraveler.com/toda...ing-travelers/
One of the comments from that site:
Originally Posted by dcta August 23, 2010 at 5:30 pm
... my husband has an implant – a defibrillator and so he can not/should not go through the scanners. At DCA he had the back of the hand pat down ... but at Ft. Lauderdale, they put him between two free standing “walls” that we took to be a body scanner and had him position himself as we’re supposed to for that and then did a pat down ...
Now wait just a d@mn minute! Despite a medical condition that could have been affected by the backscatter nude-o-scope, they made him stand in the machine and "assume the position" while they did the patdown?!?! What is the point of that? Did they do the nude-o-scope scan anyway (practicing medicine without a license again?) or were they hoping other passengers wouldn't notice an "opt out"?

More evidence of TSA treating passengers with contempt.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
To me the mere idea of grabbing another man's crotch is repulsive.
I agree, although likely for a different reason than you. If there is a true need (e.g., hernia test) and true consent (e.g., the grabbed is not an unwilling/coerced participant), there are cases where this is OK. The TSA grab-a-thon is not OK.

Aggressively fondling random people, simply because they want to fly is wrong. Why? TSA has failed to explain why this is even a good idea, much less necessary or critical, far less that this is cost effective. People are often surprised that this happens (they are not informed) and have no viable alternative (they are coerced), effectively making the willing participation a joke. This is personally offensive and degrading to many people. Reasons 4-1001 reserved for future ranting purposes.

This process is obviously a blatant overreach.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eyecue View Post
Interesting. I see all the objections voiced here and have to ask:
How many of you have had the pat down that you so strongly object to?
I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least. So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
You know this exactly how?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
In a legal sense, the claim of assault is probably incorrect. The process starts with getting your permission. If you agree to whatever procedure they perform on you, you can't then claim it's assault. Of course, if you refuse, they won't let you fly. It would be very interesting for someone to push the envelope and claim they were unduly coerced into giving permission. Somebody who must fly to address a medical condition (e.g., would miss a critical procedure in a hospital in a different city) would be an ideal candidate. I'd contribute to the legal fund in a heartbeat.
That shouldn't be too much of an issue. You enter the checkpoint, but you do not know that it will involve physical sexual assault. You can't refuse because you can't withdraw consent once entering the checkpoint. If you decline, the TSA still needs to complete it's search. I suppose if you refuse at that point, LEO can get involved and arrest you, forcing a search.

In other words, if you don't know prior to entering the checkpoint then you effectively have no choice. I believe that lack of such information before entering the checkpoint will result in an arguable case for assault. Of course TSA won't tell you before entering because they claim "SSI"... as much as anything else it provides the appearance that they are forcing unconsented searches on people to try and make the "big catch".

So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
You're not. You can't. In fact your job is not to satisfy everyone. It's to uphold the Constitution.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by doober
You know this exactly how?(hundreds of passengers a day ... dont mind in the least)
Silence is complicity of course.

A proportion of passengers will welcome just about Anything For Security™.
The majority of passengers will suffer the TSA's indignity out of expedience.
A few passengers will balk and make their displeasure and resentment known.

Since group 3 is the smallest by far, application of TSA logic means that passengers (in general) "don't mind in the least". Cloud-cuckoo land, but we knew that.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
That shouldn't be too much of an issue. You enter the checkpoint, but you do not know that it will involve physical sexual assault. You can't refuse because you can't withdraw consent once entering the checkpoint. If you decline, the TSA still needs to complete it's search. I suppose if you refuse at that point, LEO can get involved and arrest you, forcing a search.

In other words, if you don't know prior to entering the checkpoint then you effectively have no choice. I believe that lack of such information before entering the checkpoint will result in an arguable case for assault. Of course TSA won't tell you before entering because they claim "SSI"... as much as anything else it provides the appearance that they are forcing unconsented searches on people to try and make the "big catch".
+10 ^

Excellent point, which I agree with logically. OTOH, TSA will claim you did consent or gave them probable cause (you lose either way). I've got a bad feeling this wouldn't turn out well for the gropee in our legal system. Maybe some of the legal eagles can weigh in.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer

You're not. You can't. In fact your job is not to satisfy everyone. It's to uphold the Constitution.
Which is why it is absolutely necessary for anyone searched liked this to file an assault charge. The TSA must stop using the words "sensitive areas" and be very explicit about what happens in the "enhanced" pat down. Not that I want to give the TSA any reason to legitimize this type of search, of course.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
So, since I live in LAS and travel for work nearly every week, and cannot remove shoes, have had skin cancer already, and travel with a CPAP, I would guess that I am going to get this enhanced groping.

Can any females report if they have experienced this at the entrance to the "D" gates? How invasive is it?

When I call for a LEO due to the groping of my "private area", what is the likely outcome?

I am ABSOLUTELY not going to just follow quietly. The only time someone is allowed to touch me there is if they buy me dinner or if they are a medical doctor.

As a rape survivor this will simply be not acceptable! The back of the hand is already tramatic enough! If some wanna be cop tries to grab me, I will probably come unglued.

Needless to say, I am very nervous about this...
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by debua1k
So, since I live in LAS and travel for work nearly every week, and cannot remove shoes, have had skin cancer already, and travel with a CPAP, I would guess that I am going to get this enhanced groping.

Can any females report if they have experienced this at the entrance to the "D" gates? How invasive is it?

When I call for a LEO due to the groping of my "private area", what is the likely outcome?

I am ABSOLUTELY not going to just follow quietly. The only time someone is allowed to touch me there is if they buy me dinner or if they are a medical doctor.

As a rape survivor this will simply be not acceptable! The back of the hand is already tramatic enough! If some wanna be cop tries to grab me, I will probably come unglued.

Needless to say, I am very nervous about this...
Good for you! I advocate screaming for a LEO at the top of your lungs if you are touched inappropriately by a screener.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:09 am

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...#uslPageReturn

Related story in USA Today.

Disgusting.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by LV702
Again...

Why did they stop with the puffer machines (the real name escapes me)

I know they were buggy, but didn't they work? Why not go back to the drawing board?
They work fine at the CN Tower in YYZ, so the initial technical shortcoming is not something that was insurmountable. However, Michael Chertoff has no financial stake in companies that manufacture ETP machines. Not so with Rapiscan and the Nude-O-Scopes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.