Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACLU quesitioning enhanced patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
First TSA blocks some WTMD so people are 'forced' to go through the nude-o-scopes, and people who 'opt out' encounter delays with the WTMD. Now, here is a slow progression to having us with our hands up against the wall and a full frisking by the smurfs.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:40 pm

If I am subjected to this, I plan on going the route of either

1) oh yes, touch me there, oh yeah, that feels good, oh, you are great, like one poster on this board wrote

2) NO- BAD TOUCH! MOMMY!

I guess they may try to retaliate with saying I'm interfering with the screening process....
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Italy98
First TSA blocks some WTMD so people are 'forced' to go through the nude-o-scopes, and people who 'opt out' encounter delays with the WTMD. Now, here is a slow progression to having us with our hands up against the wall and a full frisking by the smurfs.
People say I'm crazy when I state that the future of airline travel can be seen in the movie Con Air. But we keep sliding in that direction.

Originally Posted by PHLflying
If I am subjected to this, I plan on going the route of either

1) oh yes, touch me there, oh yeah, that feels good, oh, you are great, like one poster on this board wrote

2) NO- BAD TOUCH! MOMMY!

I guess they may try to retaliate with saying I'm interfering with the screening process....
I wonder how this would fly if even one in ten called over the cops and pressed sexual assault charges? One in a hundred? Eventually every TSO not facing charges would be on mandatory 16 on/8 off.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by n4zhg
I wonder how this would fly if even one in ten called over the cops and pressed sexual assault charges?
What makes you think the airport cops would pay the slightest attention to such an allegation ?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:28 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Perhaps this person is an FTer! We just need more of these comments. Who knows what we'll be able to do!!
I've two trips planned in the next two weeks so it will be interesting to see what happens at the various airports, especially since I can not raise my left arm above my belt.

Originally Posted by eyecue
Interesting. I see all the objections voiced here and have to ask:
How many of you have had the pat down that you so strongly object to?
I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least. So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
You believe what your government tells you? Like those individuals who were told by the US Government that there are no ill effects from the radiation or fallout of the nuclear blast at ground zero in the Nevada desert?

If so, than I know a number of bridges and some ocean front property along the Colorado river you can buy.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Spiff
The scumbags "in charge" of TSA who keep up the assault on civil liberties and privacy should be caned and sent to prison.
Yeah, right!!! They will spent rest of the life sentences without possibility of the parole.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by doober
However, if the passenger is not aware that this pat down to which he/she is agreeing is going to involved someone grabbing and squeezing one's "package", as happened with the gentleman at OMA, then consent was not given. If the TSA does not tell people that they will be touched with the full hand on the genitals or breasts, then consent has not been given. TSA must stop using the term "sensitive areas" and tell it like it is: we're going to be sticking our hands in your crotch.
Bolding mine.

Couldn't agree more. If they stated specifically what they were doing, this procedure wouldn't last a week. Further, I think they TSA should state exactly what they are going to do, why, specifically what security benefit it provides, and what it costs (in $$$, loss of dignity/privacy, rights, etc.). If the truth were known...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least. So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
Too funny!! Do you even hear half the comments the infrequent (or frequent for that matter) traveler makes once they are thru security? At the gate? On the plane? It is not just the folks on this board that are sick and tired of the routine ... sure, these folks are totally cowed so to you it looks like they "don't mind" but seriously, get a grip. Those that have half a brain are none too happy about TSA and their requirements, they just aren't vocal enough about it.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:44 pm

I had one today. In order for an actual cop to feel me up in such a manner, they have to have a reasonable suspicion that I am armed, and this must be based on specific and articulable facts.

I am long past tired of being treated like a criminal for doing something so ordinary as traveling by air. I want to be free, not safe. I abhor the death of a thousand slices being applied to all my civil liberties. And I don't want to hear 'But 9/11'. More people will die every month this year than were killed on 9/11, and every single one of us goes about our day without even thinking about that. The only people I ever meet who are in favor of this crap are milquetoast little fraidy-mice who are convinced that the big baddies want to blow up their bowling alley in Butt-end, Nowhere. Perhaps they should just stay home and leave the big bad world to those of us who aren't afraid of our own shadows!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by mozgytog
I had one today. In order for an actual cop to feel me up in such a manner, they have to have a reasonable suspicion that I am armed, and this must be based on specific and articulable facts.
I hate to even ask it, but I'll put it out there...as a traveler, do you have the right to request an actual LEO (as opposed to a TSO) to do the pat-down? I'm not advocating the procedure by any means, but if it's the only alternative to the NoS, shouldn't you be able to specify the procedure be performed by someone actually trained in the act?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Critic
I hate to even ask it, but I'll put it out there...as a traveler, do you have the right to request an actual LEO (as opposed to a TSO) to do the pat-down? I'm not advocating the procedure by any means, but if it's the only alternative to the NoS, shouldn't you be able to specify the procedure be performed by someone actually trained in the act?
If you could, that would really jam up the works, since there are usually (at PIT anyway) only two or three cops around and from what I've seen they're invariably male.

First time a woman says 'Get me a real cop.' everything grinds to a halt!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
The Disgust is starting to brew in Boston

Followup article in Boston Herald:
Rob Webster said he was subjected to a head-to-toe body search that “did not miss an inch” and even included a “probing and pushing” of his genital area when flying home from Las Vegas to Seattle last week.

“If anybody ever groped me like that in real life, I would have punched them in their nose,” the 50-year-old said. “It was extremely invasive. This was a very probing-type touching - not just patting over all your areas, but actually probing and pushing and seeing if I was concealing something in my genital area.”

The publicity can only be good!^

http://bostonherald.com/business/gen...&position=also
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
well, to keep the momentum, others need to jump in with letters to the editor etc. The media will only keep it current if they consider there is interest.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 8:51 pm

Interesting. I see all the objections voiced here and have to ask: How many of you have had the pat down that you so strongly object to?
I've had three "rather personal" pat downs in the last two weeks. While I don't care about being patted down per se, I do object to why they are doing this (see six things below).

I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least.
The number is in the many thousands. The fact that they most are not vocal has nothing to do with whether this is wrong or a horrible waste of tax-payer funds. How many people have you heard talk about Medicare fraud in the last two weeks? Millions of people participate in Medicare w/o complaining. Does that make MC fraud OK?

So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances.
Real clever. Using your logic, I'll swing the pendulum the other way. You must believe it is OK for anyone to grope anyone else for any reason as long as it's "for security".

I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores.
That was a different time with apathetic security and citizens. Those scores are not related to and provide no justification for the new policies. They need to justify every thing they do with something more than "it's better than pre-9-11".

So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
I don't know about everyone, but I'd be happy with the following:

1) Clear definition of what they are doing and why.
2) Thorough and independently reviewed analysis/data demonstrating that what they want to do is:
A) Necessary
B) Effective
3) Thorough and independently reviewed analysis/data showing what it costs to do X (including cost impacts to the airlines and passengers) to provide a cost/benefit analysis.
4) Proper training to ensure that everything is done correctly and consistently.
5) A formal mechanism that permits feedback/alternatives for law-abiding citizens who have reasonable objections or have been subject to unauthorized behavior.
6) Robust independent oversight of the entire life-cycle (planning, implementation, operation, etc.) to ensure that our tax-dollars are being spent appropriately and effectively.

IMO, the steps above are not too much to ask of the government in general, not just the TSA.

How many of you FT'ers would be happy with the 6 step process above? Additions/changes/etc. are welcome. I'll keep a running list if there is sufficient interest.

Last edited by ScatterX; Aug 23, 2010 at 8:57 pm Reason: Formatting the identation
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by ScatterX
I don't know about everyone, but I'd be happy with the following:

1) Clear definition of what they are doing and why.
2) Thorough and independently reviewed analysis/data demonstrating that what they want to do is:
A) Necessary
B) Effective
3) Thorough and independently reviewed analysis/data showing what it costs to do X (including cost impacts to the airlines and passengers) to provide a cost/benefit analysis.
4) Proper training to ensure that everything is done correctly and consistently.
5) A formal mechanism that permits feedback/alternatives for law-abiding citizens who have reasonable objections or have been subject to unauthorized behavior.
6) Robust independent oversight of the entire life-cycle (planning, implementation, operation, etc.) to ensure that our tax-dollars are being spent appropriately and effectively.

IMO, the steps above are not too much to ask of the government in general, not just the TSA.

How many of you FT'ers would be happy with the 6 step process above? Additions/changes/etc. are welcome. I'll keep a running list if there is sufficient interest.
I still think that leaves far too much room for them to institute 'necessary' procedures that abridge our civil rights. I think we really need an overhaul and a shift in this country, back to preferring liberty to security.

I don't like the obsession with being 'safe'. It makes me a sad panda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.