Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACLU quesitioning enhanced patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslandBased
Educating the public certainly will be important.

People are only going to stop flying if there is a good reason.

As the check point experience becomes more intrusive, there may be more incentive to find other modes of travel or use communication instead. Making those alternatives more attractive would be another factor. Tying current TSA trends to the downside is a necessity.

It would take a constant campaign with several prongs- disputing the need for intrusive searches, providing reasonable alternatives, and putting economic pressure on the whole travel industry to lobby for a new, more viable security solution.
How much more reason can there be?

Being treated like a felon just to board a plane is excessive.

Whole Body Images or Invasive Pat Down, seems intrusive to me!
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by doober
One way to bring more attention to "enhanced pat downs" might be for the media to use the words "genitals", "crotch" and "breasts" rather than "sensitive areas" when describing an "enhanced pat down." Tell it like it is.
Something like calling the machines "genitalia-revealing imaging devices/imagers", "genitals-revealing scanners", "genital scanners"?

How about "the TSA's penis size and shape comparison imaging technology machines/scanners"?

It may be possible to strike down two birds with one stone -- that is by going after the the strip searching machines first.

Originally Posted by MiddleSeatLover
I think I might have gotten a rub down intead of a pat down a few weeks ago.
Was that at an airport "security" checkpoint? Did you feign an orgasm like in the movie When Harry Met Sally?

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:01 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Something like calling the machines "genitalia-revealing imaging devices/imagers", "genitals-revealing scanners", "genital scanners"?...
Now that they can "see" them, they seem to be claiming the right to feel them if you won't show them.

This clearly is retaliatory & punitive, since a simple walk through the metal detector is sufficient at locations without WBI. The only reasonable alternative to WBI (unless there are other causes for concern) is that simple walk through the metal detector.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Now that they can "see" them, they seem to be claiming the right to feel them if you won't show them.

This clearly is retaliatory & punitive, since a simple walk through the metal detector is sufficient at locations without WBI. The only reasonable alternative to WBI (unless there are other causes for concern) is that simple walk through the metal detector.
IOW, WBI should only be used as a secondary screening procedure.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
How much more reason can there be?

Being treated like a felon just to board a plane is excessive.

Whole Body Images or Invasive Pat Down, seems intrusive to me!
Evidently, not enough people share your opinion, yet. I agree with you 100%.

While the abuses are far more rampant than any terrorist threat, the large "anything for safety and security" faction needs to have their own personal unpleasant experiences with TSA before they will change their minds.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The fact that the machines are coming to SEA is bringing it home to us, since we fly out of there most commonly with YVR (and its own attendant nuisances for US-bound flights) a distant second.

We noticed again when attending our fourth consecutive Oz Fest how much more pleasant domestic flying is in Australia, i.e. no i.d. needed, carry-on items quickly and efficiently through the conveyor, and the right to carry on liquids, e.g. shiraz. ^
Old Aug 22, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Evidently, not enough people share your opinion, yet. I agree with you 100%.

While the abuses are far more rampant than any terrorist threat, the large "anything for safety and security" faction needs to have their own personal unpleasant experiences with TSA before they will change their minds.
That faction does not regard enhanced patdowns as unpleasant, you know "If it makes it safer".

I have no faith that the huge majority of the population (the S-word) will object in the slightest nor do anything so radical as stop flying. Someone with more clout than the DHS/TSA is going to have to be point on this; it won't be Congress, it might be a Court of Law, it could be the media, it sure as hell won't be the airlines.

Sad to say, but it may take a terrorist attack in which the complete uselessness of the TSA procedures is demonstrably to blame.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: TSA
Interesting. I see all the objections voiced here and have to ask:
How many of you have had the pat down that you so strongly object to?
I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least. So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Fredd

We noticed again when attending our fourth consecutive Oz Fest how much more pleasant domestic flying is in Australia, i.e. no i.d. needed, carry-on items quickly and efficiently through the conveyor, and the right to carry on liquids, e.g. shiraz. ^
and despite this lack of security, our 'planes still do not fall out of the sky...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by eyecue
Ironically my unpleasant pat-downs have been in foreign airports striving to meet (or exceed?) U.S. standards. In FRA I addressed one hapless employee as Herr Ober, much to the chagrin of Mrs. Fredd, who speaks German.

On another occasion I announced loudly as we left the checkpoint that my prostate exam went well. I've had my bells jingled once or twice and I don't find it a pleasant sensation.

Can I look forward to a kinder and gentler experience at, say, SEA?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least.
Silence cannot be construed as 'minding'.
So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances.
Yes. How many times do we have to say it?

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 23, 2010 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:09 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances.
Yes - It's justified in a FELONY ARREST!

I didn't know that flying on a commercial airline was equivalent.

Get a job at a jail or prison if you think this level of intrusion is "acceptable".
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Again...

Why did they stop with the puffer machines (the real name escapes me)

I know they were buggy, but didn't they work? Why not go back to the drawing board?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least. So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
TSA treats everyone like criminals.

If you work for TSA then YOU treat everyone like criminals.

How many terrorist has TSA caught to date?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
How many of you have had the pat down that you so strongly object to? I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least.
So what? I know people who insist that they would never require a cop to present a search warrant in order to search the inside of their homes. You know, the old "I have nothing to hide" nonsense. It doesn't matter if every single person except one had no problem being frisked by a TSO. My civil rights aren't dependent up on the ambivalence of others toward their civil rights.

So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
What concrete, peer-reviewed studies can you cite showing that an "enhanced patdown" is going to discover more prohibited items than the WTMD and ETP/ETD or will prevent another 9/11?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.