Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACLU quesitioning enhanced patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:28 pm

So long as there are fearful people who believe they deserve to be immortal TSA will never change its draconian policies of stripping and degrading the flying public.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by eyecue
Interesting. I see all the objections voiced here and have to ask:
How many of you have had the pat down that you so strongly object to?
I know that some of you are going to say that it is a slipperly slope erosion of civil rights but there are hundreds of passengers a day that have it done and they dont mind in the least. So in your mind it is wrong and not justified in any circumstances. I read an article today that said pre 9/11 screening only caught 20% of the tests and that was the best scores. So where are we going to go to satisfy everyone?
I've been groped by TSA. It's disgusting.

No one should be patted down without clear, probable cause. Refusing to be electronically strip-searched is not probable cause.

You'll satisfy everyone with:

• WTMD
  • x-ray of carry ons
  • ETP/ETD
  • Termination of the Shoe Carnival and the scumbags "in charge" of TSA responsible for it

and absolutely no other searches of any kind, including ID/BP checks without clear probable cause.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Well I suggest all guys go out and buy/wear:
http://www.nuttybuddy.com/

Would love to see the TSA's face, and what they may try to do next.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Spiff

No one should be patted down without clear, probable cause. Refusing to be electronically strip-searched is not probable cause.

• WTMD
  • x-ray of carry ons
  • ETP/ETD
  • Termination of the Shoe Carnival and the scumbags "in charge" of TSA responsible for it

and absolutely no other searches of any kind, including ID/BP checks without clear probable cause.
What Spiff said. (Pedantic quibble: you won't satisfy everyone if "everyone" includes Michael "Nude-o-scope" Chertoff and the scumbags "in charge" of TSA, but I can live with those exceptions. )

The question I've asked before and never had answered is why there are different types of patdown. Why is the "You opted out of the WBI" patdown different from the old SSSS patdown, or the "I'm bored so I'll call this random" patdown? If the intent is to find objects hidden under clothing, why does the methodology change depending on the passenger's action (or bad luck) that led to the patdown?

I suspect the answer is simply that they've been increasing the intrusiveness of the patdown with each iteration to make them more unpleasant and thereby persuade people to use the nude-o-scope instead. But I doubt anyone is going to come out and admit that.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
(Pedantic quibble: you won't satisfy everyone if "everyone" includes Michael "Nude-o-scope" Chertoff and the scumbags "in charge" of TSA, but I can live with those exceptions. )
"Satisfy" isn't the verb I'd choose for what should be done to those scumbags.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
"Satisfy" isn't the verb I'd choose for what should be done to those scumbags.
I'm sensing "caned", "terminated", "...under a bus" and some other phrases that would seriously violate the FT TOS. And I'm not even a BDO.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by GoingAway
The washingtonpost has the same article ... this is retaliatory BS for those refusing the scan. I am sorry to say that Amtrak continues to be more attractive than flying on most days Another sad period in US History thanks to DHS/TSA
I guess I probably shouldn't tell you about the "TSA/Amtrak Police Joint Operations", or the gate searches I observed at Philadelphia 30th Street Station or Washington Union Station this past week...?

Looks like we can add "Do you want to ride the rails today?" to the glossary...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats

• WTMD
  • x-ray of carry ons
  • ETP/ETD

TSO's are not law enforcement agents. The have no legal authority to do anything based on probably cause.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LV702
Again...

Why did they stop with the puffer machines (the real name escapes me)

I know they were buggy, but didn't they work? Why not go back to the drawing board?
  1. ETP - Explosives Trace Portal was the proper name for the "puffer"
  2. They were shut down after failing to manage the dusty environment that is an airport checkpoint
  3. They failed because TSA only required the awarded vendor to comply with laboratory testing, lacking any provision in the contract for real-world checkpoint testing and subsequent remedy modifications
  4. TSA, apparently, has tried to blame the vendor for their inaction, while the vendor has pointed out that the contract does not have appropriate remedy language that requires the vendor to make modifications after the laboratory certification process was completed at no charge to the government

As far as why not go back - that would require two things:
  1. TSA admission that the original ETP specifications were written incorrectly
  2. More money be spent on a technology that is not "whiz-bang glamorous"
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IslandBased
Evidently, not enough people share your opinion, yet. I agree with you 100%.

While the abuses are far more rampant than any terrorist threat, the large "anything for safety and security" faction needs to have their own personal unpleasant experiences with TSA before they will change their minds.
I was in the security line at ORD behind a former colleague who is a foul-mouthed, loud TSA apologist and he was defending the use of the strip search machines to his foul-mouthed colleague who seemed to nod his head in approval. I told the loud TSA apologist that the next time he and his buddy go through the strip search machines they should ask the TSA screener to provide feedback on whose unit was physically more imposing.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
TSO's are not law enforcement agents. The have no legal authority to do anything based on probably cause.
Clear, probable cause in this case means a WTMD alarm, something genuinely suspicious/not visible on the x-ray, or an alarm at ETP/ETD.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:19 am
Suspended

The question I've asked before and never had answered is why there are different types of patdown. Why is the "You opted out of the WBI" patdown different from the old SSSS patdown, or the "I'm bored so I'll call this random" patdown? If the intent is to find objects hidden under clothing, why does the methodology change depending on the passenger's action (or bad luck) that led to the patdown?
A tacit admission that the original type of pat down was not efficacious?

I suspect the answer is simply that they've been increasing the intrusiveness of the patdown with each iteration to make them more unpleasant and thereby persuade people to use the nude-o-scope instead. But I doubt anyone is going to come out and admit that.
The retired police chief, Deirdre Walker, months ago called the opt-out pat down "punishment" for refusing to be strip searched.

Actually, she criticized the pat down she got, so maybe that's what encouraged TSA to go to the more invasive pat down, stronger punishment.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by msimons
Well I suggest all guys go out and buy/wear:
http://www.nuttybuddy.com/

Would love to see the TSA's face, and what they may try to do next.
I have a cup from my cricket-playing days. I might just wear it next time I fly*. I imagine the "enhanced" patter will demand its removal at which point I'll claim a medical necessity.

* and get there with hours to spare
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
TSA admits to punishing travelers

Well, the Gestapo TSA is getting more press about this.

http://www.consumertraveler.com/toda...ing-travelers/

and

http://people.bakersfield.com/home/B...rpitters/60179

Last edited by Wimpie; Aug 23, 2010 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wimpie

From the article:

When a friendly TSA officer next commands us to bend over while the inspector puts on rubber gloves and soothingly lilts, “This won’t hurt a bit,” I’m not ready to believe him. We’re reaching that bend-over point.

One last kinda fib: TSA is not a law enforcement agency; they only want you to think they are. Though the “officers” wear pretty blue shirts, have walkie-talkies, big patches and shiny badges, they have no law enforcement authority. The documentary, Please Remove your Shoes, makes note of this. This fact hasn’t been sitting well with real law enforcement types, but TSA evidently needs to maintain this kind of deceitful appearance in an attempt to command respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.