Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ACLU quesitioning enhanced patdowns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
From the article:
When a friendly TSA officer next commands us to bend over while the inspector puts on rubber gloves and soothingly lilts, “This won’t hurt a bit,” I’m not ready to believe him. We’re reaching that bend-over point.

One last kinda fib: TSA is not a law enforcement agency; they only want you to think they are. Though the “officers” wear pretty blue shirts, have walkie-talkies, big patches and shiny badges, they have no law enforcement authority. The documentary, Please Remove your Shoes, makes note of this. This fact hasn’t been sitting well with real law enforcement types, but TSA evidently needs to maintain this kind of deceitful appearance in an attempt to command respect.
Which is part of the reason that Pishole wants the screeners to become LEOs.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
NEVER, EVER use a "palms-forward, slide-down search procedure"

Let them learn after the first incident...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Well, I get to fly in and out of BOS in a couple of weeks and will be opting out. Do all of the terminals at BOS have WBI?? To avoid hassles I typically goto terminals with out them and then walk to my terminal but that can not be done at BOS.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Well, I get to fly in and out of BOS in a couple of weeks and will be opting out.
Please report back about your scrotal massage.....

Maybe you need to request an LEO present for the sexual assault.
Don't forget your comment card!

Ask the TSO if all the screeners are from Provincetown and Rockport. - But do this after he finishes!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wimpie
...Maybe you need to request an LEO present for the sexual assault.
In a legal sense, the claim of assault is probably incorrect. The process starts with getting your permission. If you agree to whatever procedure they perform on you, you can't then claim it's assault. Of course, if you refuse, they won't let you fly. It would be very interesting for someone to push the envelope and claim they were unduly coerced into giving permission. Somebody who must fly to address a medical condition (e.g., would miss a critical procedure in a hospital in a different city) would be an ideal candidate. I'd contribute to the legal fund in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
I have a friend who was brutally raped, and when I told her about this, she said she absolutely wouldn't be able to endure it. She is still in psychological treatment, and the rape occurred years ago.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
In a legal sense, the claim of assault is probably incorrect. The process starts with getting your permission. If you agree to whatever procedure they perform on you, you can't then claim it's assault. Of course, if you refuse, they won't let you fly. It would be very interesting for someone to push the envelope and claim they were unduly coerced into giving permission. Somebody who must fly to address a medical condition (e.g., would miss a critical procedure in a hospital in a different city) would be an ideal candidate. I'd contribute to the legal fund in a heartbeat.
For starters why does TSA need to pat anyone down?

Agreeing to a pat down might be permissive but where does it cross the line? Only after they grab a breast or a penis?

I'm starting to think this aggressive pat down will do more damage to TSA and draw the public's attention to the Jack Booted Thugs that makes up TSA.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ScatterX
However, if the passenger is not aware that this pat down to which he/she is agreeing is going to involved someone grabbing and squeezing one's "package", as happened with the gentleman at OMA, then consent was not given. If the TSA does not tell people that they will be touched with the full hand on the genitals or breasts, then consent has not been given. TSA must stop using the term "sensitive areas" and tell it like it is: we're going to be sticking our hands in your crotch.

Originally Posted by Dorlee
I have a friend who was brutally raped, and when I told her about this, she said she absolutely wouldn't be able to endure it. She is still in psychological treatment, and the rape occurred years ago.
Very sad, especially if she would decide to choose the strip search instead, there is not guarantee that she will no also be patted down.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Aug 24, 2010 at 12:29 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by Dorlee
That was one of the situations I thought of immediately. Worse, if she reacted then she'd likely have police involved and end up arrested bc of this abuse. I don't like where this Country is going, and am very sad to say they are not alone in their paranoia and erosion of rights for their citizens
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
From the article:
Yes, but more to the point:
TSA officials commenting for the article, “added that checkpoint requirements for passengers departing from the United States haven’t changed since the underwear bomber incident last December.” That suggested pat-downs were still the same as they had always been.

However, when meeting with privacy officials at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and TSA later that month, I was told unofficially that there were two standards of pat-downs. One for the normal situation where passengers are going through metal detectors and a different pat-down for those who refuse to go through the whole-body scanners.
This demonstrates a significant ambivalence toward presenting a united front to the traveling public if not a leading indicator of fading faith in the agency's mission.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The one time (SLC in Feb) that I opted out the screener was quite professional and as he did the pat down described in detail what he was going to do. When it came time for groin area he noted that he was going to go over that area with the back of his hand. I will expect no less for an administrative search.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 3:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I don't like where this Country is going, and am very sad to say they are not alone in their paranoia and erosion of rights for their citizens
I take your point, GA.

However, 'paranoia' means fear without rational basis. As there is real cause for concern over enhanced pat downs we should avoid terms that confound or convey the opposite of what we really mean.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Which is part of the reason that Pishole wants the screeners to become LEOs.
Don't all FLEO's have to pass a polygraph and BI? The TSA would have a lot of vacancies. I would apply in an instant to get their retirement benefits.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
"Controversial enhanced pat-down protocol trials at BOS, LAS"

Through the slow-news weekend - this last Saturday and Sunday - there's been a news story about trials at Boston and Las Vegas of a "controversial" new TSA "enhanced" pat-down protocol... It's an open-hand palm-side slide down both legs instead of the back-hand patting that's supposed to be the current standard. This is my best rendition of the description given by the newscasters on radio and TV in Boston.

Wonder how they're going to decide ^ or . (I mean about the protocol!)

Mods, please fold this into the existing thread. Apologies to mods et al.

Last edited by Firewind; Aug 23, 2010 at 5:27 pm
Old Aug 23, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
During my past 2 opt outs of the WBI I was asked if I wanted to have my pat down in a room away from public observance.

I said NO. I have no issues with being touched.

Next time I'm going to go ahead and ask for the private room for my pat down and when inside I will just drop my shorts and take off my shirt.

I'm not afraid of my body and I've seen more of the human body than any TSO will see.

Then they won't have to touch me at all.

As it is I go "commando" anyway. So they might as well see the franks and beans up close and personal.

I wonder if I would get slapped with indecent exposure though? Afterall it is in a private room away from the public. And who knows I might get a date of it.

:-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.