Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by mjjckc
It was basically making conversation. Talked about how great the BBQ is in Memphis, etc.

Aside from the finger in the waistband thing, my experience was not all that different from a bouncer at the door of a nightclub. My main fear was getting some power trip type guy that likes having temporary power over other people. Which does happen especially if a job involves a uniform.

And it was back of the hand on my ..., not forward hand squeezing.

I agree that we shouldn't have to deal with NoS and pat downs, but at least for me the pat down was just annoying and didn't cross the line. Whereas I'd take the train across the country over going through a NoS.

When I was waiting to board, I asked this attractive girl in her 20's who was behind me in the check in line earlier to print tickets if she'd gone through the NoS. She said yes and that it bothered her. She didn't realize you could opt out.
HOW DO THEY NOT KNOW!? Seriously, how can there still be so many people that haven't heard about the controversy, opt out day, etc. And how can the TSOs and Pissy's of the world claim that the American people prefer the scanner when they don't know they have a choice, or don't even know what the scanner is?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RATM
HOW DO THEY NOT KNOW!? Seriously, how can there still be so many people that haven't heard about the controversy, opt out day, etc. And how can the TSOs and Pissy's of the world claim that the American people prefer the scanner when they don't know they have a choice, or don't even know what the scanner is?
None of it was covered during a Super Bowl commercial, so of course they don't know anything about it.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:41 pm

Not in the TSA playbook to inform people (much) about what is going on and what passenger options are wrt NoS. The operating principle is Never Give a Sucker an Even Break.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 2:58 pm

Angry

Most pax arent frequent flyers and don't spend all day on the internet so have no idea what their rights are in regard to the scanners and even the sex assault rubdowns. Remember the Bay Watch Babe who said she had no idea she could refuse. And of course the male TSO taking her by the arm and leading her to the scanner gave the appearance she had to go along. Worse than the scanners are the pax who don't know their rights regarding the rubdowns. A woman posted here awhile back that after she refused the scanner a male TSO said he wanted to do the rubdown, when she asked for a woman he wouldn't take no for an answer and came at her, only backing off when she threatened to scream. How many women, especially young women and teenage girls would be that assertive, especially when TSA promotes arrest and fines for non-cooperation.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Walk
Most pax arent frequent flyers and don't spend all day on the internet so have no idea what their rights are in regard to the scanners and even the sex assault rubdowns. Remember the Bay Watch Babe who said she had no idea she could refuse. And of course the male TSO taking her by the arm and leading her to the scanner gave the appearance she had to go along. Worse than the scanners are the pax who don't know their rights regarding the rubdowns. A woman posted here awhile back that after she refused the scanner a male TSO said he wanted to do the rubdown, when she asked for a woman he wouldn't take no for an answer and came at her, only backing off when she threatened to scream. How many women, especially young women and teenage girls would be that assertive, especially when TSA promotes arrest and fines for non-cooperation.
There was also the story of the woman who's NOS scan showed an anomaly and then had to have the "patdown" and it was done by a male. She asked for a woman and was told they didn't know how long it would take to get a female TSO. She let him do the deed then when he attempted to "patdown" her two young female children she finally insisted on a female TSO.

It's unfortunately that there are still people who are unaware of the right to opt out, that they are entitled to a same sexy TSO, etc but they are out there. There should be no question as to informing people of their rights during screening, as questionable as those rights are. It's dishonest and maddening that the TSA is not making this information readily available and accessible to everyone as they enter the screening area.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
did they tell you what they were going to touch before they did? odd that some use front of hands yet others use the back of hands. the backs are a lot less invasive and works just as well.
Yes, he was quite specific and accurate. Hit everything he said he would and hit nothing he did not. I think they may have stepped up training a notch or two and it may be the reason it is sometimes hard to get a frisker. I suspect there may be a limited number with the newest training.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Yes, he was quite specific and accurate. Hit everything he said he would and hit nothing he did not. I think they may have stepped up training a notch or two and it may be the reason it is sometimes hard to get a frisker. I suspect there may be a limited number with the newest training.
thanks for the info. they need to use the back of the hands, like they used to. that was tolerable.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Caradoc
None of it was covered during a Super Bowl commercial, so of course they don't know anything about it.
Why does GoDaddy come to mind when I think TSA scanner super bowl commercial?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:09 pm

Why does GoDaddy come to mind when I think TSA scanner super bowl commercial?
Because of all the ladies that advertise for GoDaddy who would be selected for the NOS/WBI and the feelup too simply because they are attractive.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Lara21
Because of all the ladies that advertise for GoDaddy who would be selected for the NOS/WBI and the feelup too simply because they are attractive.
human nature will take its course.

This is as medieval as Torquemada's rack. It would make a great Monty Python skit:

TSA1: hmm...our scanner isn't working too well. we can't determine whether there's something between your legs or not.

Pax1: Oh No!

TSA2: We need to feel your groin!

[Off they go to the dark hut]

TSA1, again: hmm...these swabs aren't working too well. Half the people set off the alarm. Oh, well, better safe than sorry.

Pax2: uh oh!

TSA2, again: We need to feel your groin!

[Off they go to the dark hut]

endlessly looping.....
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I suspect there may be a limited number with the newest training.
Given all of the instances of apparently untrained (or possibly simply learning-disabled) TSA personnel requiring "retraining" that Blogger Bob likes to post about, are you really surprised?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P, GlobalEntry, StarwoodPlat
I just went through PDX security check at gates D/E and was surprised to see that there were zero NoSs for the entire area. I had psyched myself up for my free, pre-flight massage.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:14 pm

This is seriously not my week.

Today at ATL they had managed to make every lane feeding a NoS the only option available. Period. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. At 5p, it was all NoS, all the time.

So, I opted out.

No retaliatory wait like at SAN 2 days prior. My groper was suited up and retrieved me before the person behind had even put her arms up in surrender.

So he began his spiel:

TSA: I'll then place my hands on your upper leg and slide them up until I meet resistance"

barbell: I don't understand what you mean. What, exactly, are you going to touch.

TSA: I will slide my hand up your thigh until it meets resistance.

barbell: I assure you that there is nothing on the human body called "resistance."

TSA: It's the area where your leg meets your body.

barbell: You mean my crotch?

TSA: No, sir. The area where your leg meets your body.

barbell: That's what is known as my crotch. It is the area that includes my genitals. Are you telling me that you are going to rub my crotch?

TSA: I need to involve my supervisor... I've explained the procedure and he is questioning it.

3 Stripe: Do you have a problem?

barbell: No. I don't understand what you mean by resistance.

3 Stripe: He's going to put one hand on your outside leg and then run the other up your inner thigh until it meets resistance.

barbell: What do you mean be resistance?

3 Stripe: It's where his hand will stop. When it meets resistance.

barbell: I have advanced training in anatomy. There is nothing on the human body called "resistance."

3 Stripe: Since you're so smart, what's it called.

barbell: My crotch. Apparently you are obsessed with rubbing my crotch.

3 Stripe: There is no rubbing. You're welcome to leave right now.

barbell: Why must you touch my crotch.

3 Stripe: He isn't going to touch your crotch.

barbell: That's the resistance one would meet when rubbing the upper thigh to where it meets the body.

3 Stripe: Call it whatever you want. You get screened or leave.

So we began.

I asked that he change his gloves, to which he replied he already had new ones on. I protested that I didn't see it, and since a false positive was a one-way ticket to a private screening I needed to see him put on new gloves.

And then I asked that he swab them first. There wasn't the argument there was in SAN.

The 3 Stripe observed the whole thing and then walked away.

Following the screening I approached 3 Stripe and said, "May I provide feedback on the pat down?" To which he responded, "Of course."

"My father used to sexually abuse me. He would rub his hands on my upper thigh until he, too, met resistance. You are supervising the unprovoked genital manipulation of innocent people for a living. You are accepting pay to watch the sexual abuse and molestation of innocent people."

His response: "Have a nice day and enjoy your secure facility."

Mine: "You mean the same secure facility where one of your own abducted and then raped a woman? The same secure facility that leaves 10's of thousands of people unscreened as they are driven by the busload onto the tarmac? Rubbing my testicles isn't going to make this airport secure."

His: "Have a nice day."

I'd like to think I got a little under his skin. If nothing else I clearly made him uncomfortable.

So, datum point of one. When you have the nerve to file a complaint with a supervisor, it isn't reported. One of many reasons, I'm sure, that the complaints are so low.

Too bad for him, my flight was long enough to write a personal note to His Grace John Pistole. It awaits only a proofreading for tone from the spouse.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I think they are just trying to make conversation. I usually refuse to answer, though in a nice way, saying something like, "What difference does it make?"

Bruce
I do that when they ask me how old I am.. I say "irrelevant" or "That's none of your business. Your job is to verify my name on my ID matches my BP"..

Originally Posted by barbell
This is seriously not my week.

Today at ATL they had managed to make every lane feeding a NoS the only option available. Period. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. At 5p, it was all NoS, all the time.

So, I opted out.

Too bad for him, my flight was long enough to write a personal note to His Grace John Pistole. It awaits only a proofreading for tone from the spouse.
Good for you. I'm glad to see that you made the 3-striper uncomfortable ^ Would love to see your letter, if you don't mind
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Good for you. I'm glad to see that you made the 3-striper uncomfortable ^ Would love to see your letter, if you don't mind
I'll post it here once it receives spousal approval. She's good for keeping me from going over the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.